ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

RS 200 - Exhaust crackling and popping stock

Renault Clio RS 200
Hi all,

I’m new here and am now very recently a very proud owner of a 2012 Clio RS 200. Picked it up on Saturday and I’m like a big kid with a toy.

I’ve been taking some videos and pictures of it on its stock state. And I noticed the stock exhaust crackles and pops/splutters a lot. Which sounds nice and I like it so I’m not complaining.

But I mentioned it to a friend and they said that stock exhausts shouldn’t usually crackle unless it’s been modified with an ECU map or aftermarket exhaust.

So I tried looking online and can’t really find any stock exhaust footage where I can clearly here the crackle.

My question is do any of the RS 200 owners also have/had a stock exhaust that crackles a bit or is this caused by some sort of modification?

I can provide a video of you want? Just let me know as it’s not a loud crackle but you can defiantly here it. I’m just curious more than anything as it will be having a custom exhaust fitted over time anyway.

Sorry if this is in the wrong section, I’m a noob here.

Thanks,

Harvey

Clio 197
It may have had the front resonator removed , this will cause the occasional pop/crackle , it certainly wouldn't do it all the time though.

Renault Clio RS 200
It may have had the front resonator removed , this will cause the occasional pop/crackle , it certainly wouldn't do it all the time though.
Hi, if you look in the video links below you can hear the sounds. Please let me know what you think or anyone else :)

High revs limited - Video
Lower end revs - Video

106 gti
Have a look underneath to see if the silencer has been cut out, my current one has standard exhaust but no silencer and so did my first one until I replaced it. Both pop a lot!

rs 1an

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Hi Harvey, have watched your videos, sounds pretty normal to me for a mk3.

Renault Clio RS 200
Thanks for all the replies, I’m having some work done to it over the next few weeks so I will take a look underneath. Just wanted some opinions :)