ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scrooge’s 2015 Range Rover Sport SDV8

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
So the E63 AMG was winding me up, unreliable, very rarely enjoyed it and never clicked with it. Also I was taking far too many liberties in it, too often finding myself north of 180 etc or taking advantage of the torque on roundabouts. Basically the only way I could enjoy the car was to be a prat in it.

So I decided I wanted something nice and luxury or something exotic, something luxury won. I ended up buying it over the phone whilst broken down in a lay by in a caddy van somewhere near stoke on Trent and then picked it up the next day.

So it’s a fairly low miles, Autobiography spec Sport with the dynamic chassis powered by the ford 4.4 twin turbo V8 diesel with 340hp. It goes well enough, surprisingly so considering it’s size. These shape sports have an aluminium body so they weigh considerably less than the older shape. The anti roll bars on it are like ducking magic, genuinely, this thing does not roll, you’ll be under steering into your local costa before it rolls over onto its mirrors. However they all fall to pieces of the one side of any of the axles fall into a rut and bounce back over it, makes some of the B roads I’ve been down at pace invoke some serious sea sickness 🤣🤣

The quality of the interior is amazing, the seats are comfier than what I have in my front room, the pano roof and contrasting interior (especially with lack of tints) make it a really nice airy place to be. Driving position is superb, steering feel is surprisingly good and can actually be fairly direct, also the 6 pot Brembos do an amazing job.

infotainment system is even worse than the merc and that’s saying something. But the sound system, 19 speakers and sounds f**king amazing!!!

Anyway I’ve taken it down to Devon for the week, loving it so far.
Few snaps

87938979-09E9-43A6-A995-06AAE0B7E6EB.jpeg
2561C509-D818-4F0A-9B05-D9C4014839E7.jpeg
D37F0D57-72A3-4970-96D7-219F40C3D302.jpeg
97F5A300-687E-4408-9EE4-520D129DB501.jpeg
EF06EEAD-293E-4D8F-A089-3EA5C72C6A14.jpeg
7D4786CD-01CE-43D1-91DD-DA6A42CE485F.jpeg
096C54BF-B372-4F72-9101-CD5191D9738F.jpeg
3B5FFFCC-97C8-4C50-8AED-157D6694F4C5.jpeg
606AF690-58ED-4199-B1BF-F6B6251C0268.jpeg

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  182, Ecoboost Fez
Love it Ant! Very biased opinion of course though. Have driven the gaffers V6 diesel and that went well for what it was so can only imagine the V8 diesel is great to drive.

Sound systems are epic too.
Hope you have no major issues with it along the way too.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Where abouts? Wondering if I'll spot you on the roads :)
Near Axminster, lovely place!

Love it Ant! Very biased opinion of course though. Have driven the gaffers V6 diesel and that went well for what it was so can only imagine the V8 diesel is great to drive.

Sound systems are epic too.
Hope you have no major issues with it along the way too.
Cheers Chris! I’m crossing everything in hope it stays reliable!

ian Bojo 182

ClioSport Club Member
  FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
Never quite as in love with the newer E-class than you were with the old one from day one i thought.

Good luck with the new toy.

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
The E55 is still the best car I’ve ever owned and I doubt it’ll be beaten
That’s because it was a faster, more luxurious Toledo. The E63 was a land yacht that if you had looked at it more like the move to the Range Rover and less like the E55’s younger brother you’d have been fine with it.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
  Civic
Do you know the guys personally at RW then? You sold your E55 to them?

Nice to see you pick up on the chassis tech. Often goes unsung as most owners couldn’t care less & most cars don’t have it so I think petrolheads are generally unaware.

No idea of the cost but maybe try to find one of the better Land Rover Experience venues. Don’t think many have RRS these days but it’s hilarious to spend half a morning looking out the window at the sky to then have it pointed out you’re on sport biased road tyres, in the least capable car built on that platform and you are still more comfortable than if you were sat stationary idling in a land cruiser.

Get a warranty and it’s literally fine.

Although I’d want the V8SC I admire your choice to get the one with enough torque to move the moon.

Last edited:

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  R.S 200
These are epic and you’ll be utterly fine with the V8. It’s the V6 that the majority go for, which springs up some issues.

Enjoy it! 😍😍😍

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Rangie Sport, Westie
The infotainment in the 2017+ cars does get a lot better, as in it works and you can use Apple play.

I have the same stereo as you in mine, its awesome.

The 4.4 is an odd one though, my dad had one when I got my 3.0. Pace wise they are identical, except mine does nearly 40mpg on a run and his does 31ish. His new one will have the 3.0 in.

They do make a very undiesel grumble though.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Why the 4.4 diesel?
I originally wanted the supercharged V8, obviously but they’re really hard to find, more expensive, and they’re stupidly thirsty, the V8 diesel was agood compromise
Do you know the guys personally at RW then? You sold your E55 to them?
Nope, they’re just good to deal with, have decent stock and will bend over backwards to help
Nice to see you pick up on the chassis tech. Often goes unsung as most owners couldn’t care less & most cars don’t have it so I think petrolheads are generally unaware.

No idea of the cost but maybe try to find one of the better Land Rover Experience venues. Don’t think many have RRS these days but it’s hilarious to spend half a morning looking out the window at the sky to then have it pointed out you’re on sport biased road tyres, in the least capable car built on that platform and you are still more comfortable than if you were sat stationary idling in a land cruiser.

Get a warranty and it’s literally fine.

Although I’d want the V8SC I admire your choice to get the one with enough torque to move the moon.
I’d love to do something like that in it, I like to know how far I can push what vehicle I have.

If a petrol head gets in one of these and doesn’t notice the wizardry going on, they haven’t clue about how cars work.
You must have massive b****cks Ant. Massive
or jusy
These are epic and you’ll be utterly fine with the V8. It’s the V6 that the majority go for, which springs up some issues.

Enjoy it! 😍😍😍
yep that’s what I’ve heard, the little 3.0 suffers with all sorts including snapping their crank
The infotainment in the 2017+ cars does get a lot better, as in it works and you can use Apple play.

I have the same stereo as you in mine, its awesome.

The 4.4 is an odd one though, my dad had one when I got my 3.0. Pace wise they are identical, except mine does nearly 40mpg on a run and his does 31ish. His new one will have the 3.0 in.

They do make a very undiesel grumble though.
I couldn’t own a non V8 anything, not anymore. MPG, to a certain extent I’m not bothered by, the V8 drives much nicer, sounds better although not good lol plus with a map these have a better power to weight ratio than the old supercharged ones

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  182, Ecoboost Fez
Land rover experiences are great! I've done the experience in a disco 4 and RRS now. Both brilliant at what they can do.

Solihull experience centre is decent, also done the one at Gaydon too which again is also good. I don't think it costs an arm and a leg to do, obviously in JLRs cars and an instructor taking up one seat, but you and family members in the car can take it in turns through different sections.

The hill decent stuff is still my favourite thing on them

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Had a decent shot of the 3.6 twin turbo V8 one of these at the weekend. Was very very easy to forget that there was a ton and a half of trailer behind it! Sounded good too.

Its a 2010 so stereo was s**t to use but sounded good, box was a bit dimwitted but I think I drove it quite differently to the owner!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Land rover experiences are great! I've done the experience in a disco 4 and RRS now. Both brilliant at what they can do.

Solihull experience centre is decent, also done the one at Gaydon too which again is also good. I don't think it costs an arm and a leg to do, obviously in JLRs cars and an instructor taking up one seat, but you and family members in the car can take it in turns through different sections.

The hill decent stuff is still my favourite thing on them
will have to get something booked, I haven’t a clue what half the buttons do lol

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  R.S 200
D8EDE36C-5BA1-4479-B42C-E83002B842B5.jpeg

This should give you some sort of insight to what each mode does.

My TDV6 is approaching 200,000 miles and it still just chugs along happily.

I’ll be considering the SDV8 next.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Love this ultimate baller car without being shouty about it.

Fantastic towing cars too
It’s one of the reasons I’m happy with no tints and just normal wheels. I don’t want it to look too much like a normal one. I do feel a little embarrassed by it sometimes and I feel like i have to make excuses all the time, which gets a little tedious.
Comments like, ‘won the lottery have we?’ and ‘You must sell a few ounces to afford this’ have been highlights just this week.

370Z, Fiesta ST2
Im surprised at the lack of tints on an Autobiography - the original owner must have made a point about not having them!

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
It’s mad how people feel about the lack of tints on this. With a lot of mates who’ve seen it it’s the first thing they pick up on then say that it needs them 🤣