ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self build garage project

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
That pipe issue was resolved. Back at the rear trench it was about 800mm down. When they dug the front trench it was uncovered at about 400mm down which suggested it wasn’t running too far with that fall. It was rodded and stopped at the end of my driveway/garden.

This is how it stands now.

3CA74374-443E-484D-B38B-7AFEBD4C8541.jpeg

89209321-8293-4CB6-8E14-DEF8B5AB9481.jpeg

Got plenty of materials to order now ready for getting it out of the ground.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone used an online steel beam calculation service?

Appear to be a fair number offering such service, so would prefer to go on a recommendation if possible.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
What do you need calculating?

Universal Beam for the over the garage door.

I’m going for a 16ft wide door so need a ~5200mm long beam and at this length, off the shelf lintels become very expensive hence the UB route.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
I looked up the size of beam likely to be required from people on forums etc who had fitted one over the same opening and suggested some sizes even in excess of those to the BCO to be belt and braces. Although he agreed from experience that the sizes I was quoting would hold a house up, he wants the calcs for the file.

Archtronics

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Have you spoken to the steel supplier some of them will give you building regs calcs for free or not much more.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Steel arrival woke me up this morning. Beefy thing!

28CBAE29-AA2D-4042-81B6-7DE4F74A3F63.jpeg

It’s been dark when they finished but managed to have a look at what they have been doing and I’m happy with how they’ve pointed it up inside so I can throw some paint on. Had a couple of showers as they were doing it so feared there would be a bit more mess. One is coming back today to point what was too wet yesterday (I’m sure many wouldn’t bother).

D406D73E-9404-4E55-86F4-9EC61628A488.jpeg

Great gang of guys actually. Not afraid of hard work which can’t be said for all trades I’ve come in to contact with over the years!

Great work, what construction have you gone for? Any drawings?

Single skin block with render finish. Block on flat along the front to take the beam. The new roof will run along same as existing. Brickies will come back to add the gable peak when the trusses arrive.

Truss manufacturer won’t come out to survey so I’ve had to measure them myself (wish me luck). Ordering those this morning. I was originally going to order them a few weeks ago to line up with the brickies coming, but with the weather we’ve had and the prospect of Christmas I wasn’t sure whether they’d postpone starting and didn’t want trusses in the way.

No drawings. Jury is still out on whether I should have paid out for some to, but so far they’ve taken on board what I’ve specified from research and the building inspectors advice.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Nearly garage door decision time, people.

Sectional door is in the lead currently. Not a huge fan of the rails inside running along the ceiling, but appears to be a trade off versus a roller door which I personally believe can look quite industrial when 16ft/4800mm wide.

Colour wise. Pondering over going with 'timeless' white or perhaps RAL7016 Anthracite. Either side will be rendered and painted in Plymouth grey which is quite light. Not sure for how long Anthracite is going to be popular.

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
For sectional doors take a look at Hormann they are top of the market or if your looking for lower end of the market look at alutech. I can probably post you some brochures out if you drop me a PM with your address.

Also if you send me you opening size i can see about getting you a price for supplying if that helps.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
For sectional doors take a look at Hormann they are top of the market or if your looking for lower end of the market look at alutech. I can probably post you some brochures out if you drop me a PM with your address.

Also if you send me you opening size i can see about getting you a price for supplying if that helps.

Interesting, thank you.

The steel is going in on Friday at which point I will be able to calculate the opening height, but it's 4800mm wide.

I approached a company last year about Hormann doors and they suggested Alutech as an alternative, 25% cheaper in price. I questioned the quality in comparison and they mentioned that in around 2016 Alutech upgraded the appearance and lifting gear and have grown in popularity. Recall mention of Alutech offering a bespoke size at no extra cost whereas Hormann charge extra to deviate from the 4877mm standard width.

Does that sound about right to you? Sceptic in me would wonder whether the margins are greater in Alutech hence pushing customers towards those over Hormann.

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Interesting, thank you.

The steel is going in on Friday at which point I will be able to calculate the opening height, but it's 4800mm wide.

I approached a company last year about Hormann doors and they suggested Alutech as an alternative, 25% cheaper in price. I questioned the quality in comparison and they mentioned that in around 2016 Alutech upgraded the appearance and lifting gear and have grown in popularity. Recall mention of Alutech offering a bespoke size at no extra cost whereas Hormann charge extra to deviate from the 4877mm standard width.

Does that sound about right to you? Sceptic in me would wonder whether the margins are greater in Alutech hence pushing customers towards those over Hormann.
Alutech have certainly improved so much so weve seen a 60percent increase in sales for there doors.

Not sure on the size deviation as said as i run the transport side so dont get to involved in that part but as i said if you get me the sizes you need, one of the blokes in our sales is absolutly s**t hot so he can sort out all the measurements for what you will need and get the best price available.

Sent from my SNE-LX1 using Tapatalk

td_dan

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio DCi
Out of interest what company did you approach?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Awesome work!!

Where are the main costs when it comes to garage extending? I wouldn't even be able to hazard a guess.

Do you have a rough breakdown of costs? Something I intend to do in the future for sure.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Alutech have certainly improved so much so weve seen a 60percent increase in sales for there doors.

Not sure on the size deviation as said as i run the transport side so dont get to involved in that part but as i said if you get me the sizes you need, one of the blokes in our sales is absolutly s**t hot so he can sort out all the measurements for what you will need and get the best price available.

I'll drop you a message Friday, thanks.

Where are the main costs when it comes to garage extending? I wouldn't even be able to hazard a guess.

Do you have a rough breakdown of costs? Something I intend to do in the future for sure.

As with most extensions, a lot of the money goes underground and where you don't see it. Planning and Building Control charges, hire etc.

I have researched everything to understand exactly what is required, even if it's not me that's doing it. I cleared the site at pretty much zero cost and had a couple of guys in to get the footings in. Found a contractor who has access to a large team of brickies/labourers that were prepared to work on a labour only basis. I have been supplying all the materials which I have been able to shop around to get the best price. There's a lot of time in that, and you need to know what materials are required and allow for the various lead-times otherwise the buck stops at me.

There's also time in finding contractors and the gap between them if you cannot guarantee exactly when the previous will start/finish. Appointing one general builder would certainly be a lot quicker, but at a greater cost.

I find that fun though, shopping around to save a few quid. Gives me a great understanding exactly how things are done also, because I need to know what specification materials need to be to meet regs etc so can be sure at least that decent quality materials are used if I am supplying them myself.

In true CS fashion I have a spreadsheet itemising every single expenditure and forthcoming spend, down to every bag of nails. I am hoping to come in at around £18,000 complete, minus electrical and interior decoration.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Roof trusses arrived this morning.

I was unable to find a supplier who would come out and measure up due to the current situation, therefore had to measure myself and inherit the risk. Wish me luck.

98C73C8A-CCA4-4C3A-A0FD-B6DDA093F192.jpeg

Existing lintel removed and roof propped ready to take the steel when the Genie lift arrives tomorrow.

37AF1C82-B50F-43C2-99C4-91988A8AC05B.jpeg

Managed to source a new window for £52 locally. Was a cancelled order or similar. Inclusive in the price was my choice of glazing, which will be obscured to match the bathroom/toilet at the front. Won't bother fitting this until the majority of the works are done as there's little benefit and can see it getting damaged knowing my luck.

BA6F8231-40CC-4EC8-B6FA-3E1ED20CAA73.jpeg

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
I'll drop you a message Friday, thanks.

As with most extensions, a lot of the money goes underground and where you don't see it. Planning and Building Control charges, hire etc.

I have researched everything to understand exactly what is required, even if it's not me that's doing it. I cleared the site at pretty much zero cost and had a couple of guys in to get the footings in. Found a contractor who has access to a large team of brickies/labourers that were prepared to work on a labour only basis. I have been supplying all the materials which I have been able to shop around to get the best price. There's a lot of time in that, and you need to know what materials are required and allow for the various lead-times otherwise the buck stops at me.

There's also time in finding contractors and the gap between them if you cannot guarantee exactly when the previous will start/finish. Appointing one general builder would certainly be a lot quicker, but at a greater cost.

I find that fun though, shopping around to save a few quid. Gives me a great understanding exactly how things are done also, because I need to know what specification materials need to be to meet regs etc so can be sure at least that decent quality materials are used if I am supplying them myself.

In true CS fashion I have a spreadsheet itemising every single expenditure and forthcoming spend, down to every bag of nails. I am hoping to come in at around £18,000 complete, minus electrical and interior decoration.
Wow! That's a lot more than I had in my head, obviously not discrediting the work done I just simply had no idea what sort of rough price it would be.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Work continues. I appear to have managed to measure the trusses correctly.

15543058-8583-4885-82E1-D28BD27654CC.jpeg

Fascias are done both front and back. Need to sort the drainage out ready for the guttering and down pipes.

Had to wait 2 months for the roof tiles to arrive, but they are here now and the roof will be covered next week hopefully.

Now I am starting to think about the electrics and lighting. I'm thinking about commercial 600mm x 600mm flat LED panels. Hopefully 9 should give a reasonable amount of light over the area - in banks of 3, left middle and right. Thought about 6 panels originally but not sure that would be sufficient as they'd be spaced out quite far apart. Socket wise 6 double sockets, so 12 outlets and another in't centre of roof for the door motor.

440D091F-D2AC-46A7-8DB5-4F77A6735EAE.jpeg

Work continues. I appear to have managed to measure the trusses correctly.

View attachment 1519640

Fascias are done both front and back. Need to sort the drainage out ready for the guttering and down pipes.

Had to wait 2 months for the roof tiles to arrive, but they are here now and the roof will be covered next week hopefully.

Now I am starting to think about the electrics and lighting. I'm thinking about commercial 600mm x 600mm flat LED panels. Hopefully 9 should give a reasonable amount of light over the area - in banks of 3, left middle and right. Thought about 6 panels originally but not sure that would be sufficient as they'd be spaced out quite far apart. Socket wise 6 double sockets, so 12 outlets and another in't centre of roof for the door motor.

View attachment 1519641
9x 600x600mm panel lights? Hope you have some raybans or a dimmer switch. 6 will be plenty.

Lose a row and keep the widths the same.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
9x 600x600mm panel lights? Hope you have some raybans or a dimmer switch. 6 will be plenty.

Guess I’m just fearful of 6 being OK but then wishing I’d gone for 9 so that the light is evenly spread.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Ridges on lead dressed and that’s the roof finished.

D85F4B09-0246-4874-80DC-8D9DAC1D380E.jpeg

Was hoping to get the guttering up this weekend but the weather has been terrible, ironically.

Decided to start getting the ceiling up instead as that ideally needs to be done before the door goes in for ease

14E2BE1D-B7BC-41A5-8115-D7C3BB41F1C3.jpeg

Not looking forward to filling and sanding the joints.

coolspot007007

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon Cupra
Ridges on lead dressed and that’s the roof finished.

View attachment 1522616

Was hoping to get the guttering up this weekend but the weather has been terrible, ironically.

Decided to start getting the ceiling up instead as that ideally needs to be done before the door goes in for ease

View attachment 1522617

Not looking forward to filling and sanding the joints.

I bought a used Workzone drywall sander on eBay for £30. I thought the dust extraction would be shite but it's actually good, even upside down. (hooked up to a Henry). It's a killer on the shoulders after a while though.

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member
Will probably buy one of those flat heads on a pole. Easy fill is supposed to be easy enough to sand.

I'm glad the roof is still standing 🤣🤣

Credit to your back of a fag packet design 😎😂
Thanks again for doing those calcs. Don’t think she’s going anywhere!

ilovewilly

ClioSport Club Member

I think I am going to go with the 6 panels spaced like below (y)

Lighting Overhead.JPG

Hooked up to a 3 gang light switch so I can run them independently when nipping in to grab something quickly.

These look OK for the money:
Eterna 600 x 600 40W LED Light Panels (Standard) (juiceelectricalsupplies.co.uk)

Colour wise I am thinking 4000k. Should be white enough without being too clinical (6500k).

A friend of mine added the room dimensions in to some software which shows the light output at worktop level.

5650C557-11C2-4E86-AE50-95027AC0BC20.jpeg

3BC5A86F-D69E-4921-88B2-2008932681A3.jpeg

4 lights gave ~300l/m and 8 gave 500l/m fully throughout but I do think that may be a bit too bright at head height. Retail is recommended at about 500l/m apparently. My ceiling is only 2.5m high and flat. Walls will be painted white which should help. It's a garage ffs.