ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Should brakes make a noise

Recently my 172 brakes have made a kind of scraping noise when appiled (even carefully) which Im assuming isnt right? I thought the mk2 had a dash light to indicate when pads need replacing etc?

Any thoughts on why this noise is happening? Cars done 17,500 miles.

Thanks.

That sort of mileage could easily mean the pads are shot..you should be checking them out..is the braking worse? In the wet youll get more more noises but i doubt youd tell without the window down.

-Rob

Mine has too, at the start of the journey - couple of other people have had this too..

I put it down to all the rust on the discs which seems to appear quickly in this weather.. once Ive braked a few times, its fine again.

You might just have a small stone or something got its self wedged between the pad and disc. Id remove the pads and give them a check over just to be on the safe side if I were you. They could also just be worn down!

Blimey, loads of replies, thx :) I hope it is down to the weather as I need a new set of boots for the car :( I dont use the car much these days and its usually for short journeys too, probably not remove the rust.

I can here it inside the car with windows up, but with music on I cant. I guess the sound is like if you drive down the road with your wheels scraping along the kerb (dunno if that helps!)

I havent wanted to brake hard incase something is a miss so I dont know if its just rust. I guess I should look at the wheels but not 100% what to look for, thats the min width of pads these days?

Also, the sound "seems" to be coming from the rear but that could just be a red herring.

im on 3000 miles and mine are making a grinding kind of noise and a slight knocking, going to get it checked out as soon as possible though, reckon the grinding is just them rusting up in weather but knocking could be this brake bias valve thing.

E90

Mines the same, only if I havnt been driving for a while, like everyone else, I think its rust, cause it goes away after 5 minutes. If youve worn the brake pads down at 17,500 miles, Well done!!:)

mine starting making this noise, then evetually made a grinding noise ( a loud one at that ) becuase the pads had worn right down to the metal backing... they seem to wear really quick...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Just to add, mine also make this noise after heavy rain/long period of no driving.

Just the first and maybe 2nd time I brake then its fine, im on 20,000 miles now and my pads are fine.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

check your pads you have done 17500 miles after all.new clios dont have pad warning light wires.