ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

standard 172 or modded 1.2 16v

do i spend some money on my dynamique and make it a bit faster and better looking or buy a 172 and have no money cos their expensive to maintain?

clio 172 ph2 02 reg

im sticking with my dynamique , insurance for the next year is an unbelivable £1500 :( will build up a few years NCB an get a lil beastie

i got a quote for a 172, 1200 fully comp which aint bad, i can afford that, its just that i have my car on finance and i want to get out of the agrement so i can buy another one, my 1.2 16v was only 500;) if your doing the free insuranc with renault stay with them and they will give u 2 years ncb free! im on 4 years ncb now at 21

Remapped derv Golf

172 NO QUESTION!

Whats the point of spending thousands on a 1.2 and then gettting youre arse kicked by a Valver or something thats standard and cost under 2k.

Remapped derv Golf

Good luck. Thought about a MK1 172? Really nice car and you could save the extra for the insurance.

IMO more focused than the MK2 but with more luxurys than a cup.

Servicing is more expensive I would guess, my first service is £160. Tyres are more expensive, you are going to use more petrol, tax is more expensive. Any non-warranty engine work is expensive as it could be an engine out job. Just generally everything will be more expensive than owning a 1.2.

And the big one, INSURANCE is going to be ALOT more !

Things to think about anyway.

Remapped derv Golf

Bit more servicing (depending or course your driving amount) and more fuel (even if you keep the loud pedal up).

1.2 will run on a sniff of Aftersave compared to a 2.0 (round town anyway)

Lionel Richie

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 12 March 2004

172 NO QUESTION!

Whats the point of spending thousands on a 1.2 and then gettting youre arse kicked by a Valver or something thats standard and cost under 2k.
If you really want to challenge the power of the 1.2 then put your money where your mouth is and come to York dragway this year!!!! Some Giant killing is gonna be happening!!!!!

Remapped derv Golf

Quote: Originally posted by Fred2001Dynamic on 12 March 2004

Quote: Originally posted by Adamf on 12 March 2004

172 NO QUESTION!

If you really want to challenge the power of the 1.2 then put your money where your mouth is and come to York dragway this year!!!! Some Giant killing is gonna be happening!!!!!
Nah sorry mate dont do the North! Dont race shopping carts either;)

A 172 will cost you a lot more but you need to sit down and work it out and decide if

1 You have the money

2 You have the money to waste.

3 There are better thing to spend the cash on.

4 When can you pick it up

But honestly if the difference is a lot its stupid paying for it especially if you not going to be able to used to advantages. For me its £150/month for a 172 over what I pay atm and thats before I even buy one.

EDD

Agree with edde, you need to have a life away from the Clio too ! That is very important, I have made the mistake in the past of getting a car I couldnt really afford and it is not nice having no money. If it would stop you going out with your mates then I would have a serious think about. If you can afford it then go for it.

i have a dymanique also and im going for 182 in july and will also be skint but f**k it give me power im going to c a civic trpe r today which us say is better????

Elise/VX220/R26

^^^ all this stuff is forgotten with a flick of the right ankle. Serious guys lifes too short for working out fuel consumtion figures! ;)

Seriously tho a 172 isnt going to cost that much more than any other car to run, I dont know where people are getting the idea that 172s are high maintainance cars. As for fuel consumption.... 0 - 60 on 7 secs and 35mpg?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

172/182s arent expensive if you sort out some stuff

my 182 actually costs me £30 less a month than my 1.2.

i got a loan at a really good rate and bought the car outright.

Plus the 182 has better economy because im not going everywhere with my foot on the floor all the time.

as for the servicing costs its not vastly more expensive is it?

have u considered the other options as well other than a 172?

i cudnt quite afford a 172 so decided on a megane coupe which has 150bhp which still moves.

or mayb something other than a renault?

*runs and hides*

i went from a 1.2 dynamique to a 172, whenever numbers about petrol/servicing pop into my head, i squeeze the go pedal a bit and all is forgotten!