ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Sub watts - How many RMS

Ok im looking into getting a sub and amp so was wandering what RMS rating sub i should go for? I want it to be loud but i want that sharp edge to the bass. I dont want it distorting. The ones iv looked at are about 500 watts RMS. Does this seem to high, it seems quite high to me.

Also what watt components would i need to go in the front to match this sub and then what watt 4 channel amp to power them all??

Cheers Phil

Phil. The higher the RMS figure the more the volume it can produce. Anywere between 250-500 is fine as long as you have a powerfull amp to drive the sub (look at the rms figures on the amps specs)

Clios are good for bass even 10" can rock but make sure you have correct box size.

Are you going for SQ or SPL??

Quote: Originally posted by SOAPSUDS on 19 October 2003
Phil. The higher the RMS figure the more the volume it can produce

only in theory

it means they can take more power, not volume

Mk2 Golf GTI

SQ = sound quality - how clear and defined the bass is (what i look for)

SPL = sound pressure level - basically the loudness of the sub according to the pressures it produces

I prefer a good SQ sub to give smooth, clear bass rather than it just being loud and distorting like nobodys business! What sort of budget are you on? i always find it best to get the best you can afford and take your time rather than buy everything at once. If you are buying in stages i would get components first, around 55w RMS and 130w max is the rating of the comps ive been looking at. im getting 2 pairs of vibe SA50s and amping them off a Vibe VP3 amp. The amp has four channels producing 50w RMS each. Then when you have these you can buy a sub later on.

Get an amp with high and low pass filters on. HP filter allows on high notes thru and LP only lets the lower bass notes thru. Once you have a sub you can flick the amp to high pass so that no bass goes thru the components, which means they wont distort and can be played louder

well im SQ - and i have an 8" boston acoustics pro sub sitting in my bedroom, awesome quality, about 500WRMS though

RMS is not everything with ICE, you have to consider enclosure sizes, ported/sealed boxes, shape and size of box, filtration and on and on

easiest way is to find an amp and sub and match RMS figures, because i doubt youll be interested in competition, which is where the major problems with SQ come in

U can have a very load system without any distortion

u only get distortion when u buy cheap crap or over exceed the systems capability

Mk2 Golf GTI
  Stanced Honda S2000

if u want a nice range, go for a bigger sub, ive found 10s in clios can be limited. i used to have a lightning audio 500watt rms sub , it was a 15inch, the quality of the bass was brilliant and no limitations. id reccomend one of those mate. hard to get hold of these days. stick to well known brands. ive got rocky fosgates in mine at the moment, top dog. the ones in mine are 500rms each :)http://erc.qmuc.ac.uk/cliosport/gallery/full/1066487857__DSCF0167.jpg

if youre after SQ - 8" or 10" are the best options, 15" subs are just not flexible enough and struggle to keep up with any fast paced basslines