ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Temporary Insurance for a Modified Clio Driver on a Provisional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
  Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Is this possible to get? all the provisional insurers seem to avoid modified cars, its only got window tints and some black hub caps i got on ebay.

I would like to pass my test in the car i will be driving so i'm after some provisional insurance

Thanks

:)

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
They're not really modifications FFS. Surely you haven't told any insurance company that the windows are tinted and you've got some £4.99 hubcaps on it ?!

Are you driving it (under supervision) at the moment ?!

Ged

PD130 Peach
at the risk of people going mental, just dont tell the insurance about that, if you ever were involved in an accident, just say you bought the car like that and believed it to be standard. You will never get done for such small modifications. either that, or remove the mods untill you can get insurance.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
They're not really modifications FFS. Surely you haven't told any insurance company that the windows are tinted and you've got some £4.99 hubcaps on it ?!

Are you driving it (under supervision) at the moment ?!

Not driving yet, need provisional insurance

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
That's not a challenge.

You don't want / won't be able to get temp insurance.

It'll go up A LOT when you pass your test !

I presume you already know this.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
at the risk of people going mental, just dont tell the insurance about that, if you ever were involved in an accident, just say you bought the car like that and believed it to be standard. You will never get done for such small modifications. either that, or remove the mods untill you can get insurance.

I don't think its worth it, if its stolen and later recovered with damage then they may invalidate the insurance on the grounds that the car has unlisted visual modifications, thats what the lady on the phone told me, they don't insure modifications which increase performance for accident risk and visual modifications for theft risk

182 T
Remove your tints. Especially if you're planning on doing a test in it. what's the point, insurance is going to tan you enough as it is. Plastic black hubcaps aren't a mod. Or certainly not a mod anyone would look at/premium/bother about. For the sake of learning to drive in it its the one time where getting a qualified driver (mum/dad/grandparents/relative) to insure it and put you on it as a learner makes sense.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
why do you need temporary insurance? start a proper policy and start to accrue no claims bonus ASAP

My driving test is in mid september and i want to pass in the car i'll drive. Also if i lock in an annual policy with an insurer on the provisional, then switching from provisional to full part way through might increase the premium more than buying a new driver policy

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
So take the tints and the crappy hubcaps off for goodness sake.

They're only making the car look worse, I can assure you, let alone costing you a fortune.

I'll bet you a shiny five pence piece your car is black ?!

It will look like a van. Why would you want to drive a van ?

Also, why would you attempt to pass in a car you haven't yet driven in ? It's pretty much going to end in fail unless you've been driving on private land since you were 13 or you are Lewis Hamilton's brother.

I'm assuming you're having lessons with an instructor ?!

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Remove your tints. Especially if you're planning on doing a test in it. what's the point, insurance is going to tan you enough as it is. Plastic black hubcaps aren't a mod. Or certainly not a mod anyone would look at/premium/bother about. For the sake of learning to drive in it its the one time where getting a qualified driver (mum/dad/grandparents/relative) to insure it and put you on it as a learner makes sense.

I don't want to damage the demister on the rear window when removing the tints, also i really quite like them

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
To the point at hand,

Does anyone know an insurer who would temporarily, comprehensively, insure a modified car for a provisional license holder?

182, SQ7, Trafic
Right this is what you need to do.

1. Remove tints, this then takes out any modified insurance needed and can have standard insurance. It will also give you a much better chance to past you test, examiner will take one look at your car and think your the next boy racer to get on the road.

2. Insure your car straight away as a provisional licence holder.

3. Pass test.

4. Change your licence on your insurance policy.

It's the right way to do everything.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Declaring hubcaps ftw. Id better declare the stickers on my car, especially seeing as they do add 10bhp.

Used to be 25bhp but you removed the best one :dapprove:

OP: Just do your test in the instructors car like everyone else tbh

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Used to be 25bhp but you removed the best one :dapprove:

OP: Just do your test in the instructors car like everyone else tbh

But it drives nothing like a clio, its a 1.7L Turbo Diesel Astra.
Wouldn't the petrol clio be completely different?

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
so you don't want to drive the instructors car because your still getting used to the 'biting point'

I've already mastered it, i can parallel park, reverse around a corner well. I just think its too easy to drive that car. He said a small petrol engine will be more challenging, so i want to do it in the clio

I've already mastered it, i can parallel park, reverse around a corner well. I just think its too easy to drive that car. He said petrol will be more challenging, so i want to do it in the clio

Sigh, way more to driving than being able to do some manouvres you may do once a year.

On a different note, just remove the tints, you'll look back in a years time and thank us for the pure fact you'll save a ton on insurance, nevermind it looking s**t :)

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
I've already mastered it, i can parallel park, reverse around a corner well. I just think its too easy to drive that car. He said a small petrol engine will be more challenging, so i want to do it in the clio

so why not take the test in the instructors car, pass your test. then drive your car and get used to it that way. surely thats what everyone does roughly

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Lol at wanting to take a test in a car you've not driven.

Why do you want to make it harder for you to pass your test? Serious question.

Remove the tints, it won't damage the window if you do it right (heat it with a Hairdryer and peel from a corner, heating as you go)
Dont tell insurance about wheel trims

Do test in the car you've learned in and so know how to drive

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I thought the menouvers were the hardest thing to nail first time, and i'm not trolling. I looked and the pass rate near me is ~44%

Honestly, once you've learned a manoeuvre, its piss from there. The hardest part about driving is not crashing into some of the retards that are allowed on the road

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Lol at wanting to take a test in a car you've not driven.

Why do you want to make it harder for you to pass your test? Serious question.

Remove the tints, it won't damage the window if you do it right (heat it with a Hairdryer and peel from a corner, heating as you go)
Dont tell insurance about wheel trims

Do test in the car you've learned in and so know how to drive

I think its just my personality, i want to do stuff very well, no matter what it is. As i see it, its just pointless doing it in a car that i'll never drive again, i'll have the qualification but i won't feel like i really accomplished anything. If i do it in a car i'll be driving, it'll mean more to me.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I think its because the engine has a lot of torque and it lets me be sloppy with the gear i'm in. Also i've had ~34 lessons to this point.

Sloppy ftw, diesels are piss to drive :)

I get where you're coming from but honestly, it's a bit silly. I'm not trying to be nasty but if you fail just because you want to accomplish something more you'll have pissed money away for no reason. It's not like driving isnt expensive enough with the lessons, theory, test, car, insurance, petrol, tax etcZ you don't need to make it harder for yourself

Mk4 Mondeo Estate
Just take the test in your instructor's car. You are going to be nervous enough as it is without worrying about not knowing the biting point, size and all the other crucial parts of driving a car as it is.

Clio 2, 1.2 16V
Just take the test in your instructor's car. You are going to be nervous enough as it is without worrying about not knowing the biting point, size and all the other crucial parts of driving a car as it is.

I'm actually pretty relaxed about the exam. I don't feel nervous, maybe its overconfidence, but i don't feel nervous. Finding the biting point isn't really a concern, the instructor replaced the clutch half way through so i got used to the feeling of a worn and a new clutch, which was nice.

182, SQ7, Trafic
Lol, your young and naive, listen to us older ones please.

What's one more drive in the instructors car? It'll make it easier to pass and then you'll have all the time in the world to drive your new car.

As I've said already, one look at a car with tints and they'll fail you just because they think they know what type of person you are.

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
can't believe i'm reading this. Honestly, do the test in the instructors car. They choose cars that are easy to drive and hard to stall to give you a better chance of passing.
I passed in a mk1 Clio 1.9 dti

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I want to speak to a member of staff.

*Hands in the air like a school boy*

Teacher!! Teacher!! There's a doofus in the classroom that's escaped from the special studies room!!

Status
Not open for further replies.