ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BMW Thread

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
I'm also currently using this as a daily...

20211124_152816 (1).jpg

20211124_144725.jpg

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Comparison to the disco?
The X5 is much faster, it’s way more comfy and it’s so much quieter.

But the disco was better on fuel, and…. I can’t pin point it, but i much preferred driving the disco.

plus in the X5 I feel like a right nonce. Whereas everyone loves a disco. The X5 is a much better car for my needs, but I’d take a disco over one I think.

I appreciate my reply is as helpful as a staple in the helmet. Apologies.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Re rod bearings, I know @hixwas interested in what the old ones looked like.

So, brief history of the car...
• 2013 car with 48k.
• Always warmed up before any remotely hard acceleration or driving.
• Was doing about about 14 miles a day (2x20min trips).
• Serviced when ever it needed doing.

IMG-20211117-WA0006.jpg

Fair bit of wear considering it's had a far from hard life, but I can't help but think those short journeys have had a good hand in it.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
I have an affinity for old Munich scrap, i've had a bit of clear out recently but this is some of the fleet..

135i daily (E30 parts car lurking in the background)

IMG-20210414-WA0001.jpg

E39 530D Touring (daily/dog car)

IMG_20210203_230847.jpg

Vulcan Grey E30 318i (awaiting resto and engine upgrade)

10569023_10152674859245990_5866632603402246634_n.jpg

with dog (because people like dogs)

IMG_20190811_164407.jpg

E30 Rally Car, 2.4L F20C 300hp, 6 speed dog box etc. (awaiting respray to get rid of hideous paint scheme)

IMG_20200813_203809.jpg

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3

• 2013 car with 48k.

View attachment 1567717

Fair bit of wear considering it's had a far from hard life, but I can't help but think those short journeys have had a good hand in it.

They’re not the worst I’ve ever seen but a load of wear for sub 50k! I don’t think I’ve ever seen wear so even across every shell too 😂

Also to second Dave, more info needed @Touring_Rob!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Mine is a 2013 M135i with the best spec i’ve ever seen on one. Absolutely brilliant all rounder. Great car just cruising on the commute, but in sport mode it stiffens up to handle pretty well, make a great noise and just be full yob.

View attachment 1567753

View attachment 1457919
Does it have a system on it? If not, you don't know what yob is 🤣 During peak lockdown I drove through Manchester city centre in Sport and Im pretty sure I could be heard from one spot, all over the city 😅🤣

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
I have resonator delete and back box mod on mine, sounds lovely, much much better than stock.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
The X5 is much faster, it’s way more comfy and it’s so much quieter.

But the disco was better on fuel, and…. I can’t pin point it, but i much preferred driving the disco.

plus in the X5 I feel like a right nonce. Whereas everyone loves a disco. The X5 is a much better car for my needs, but I’d take a disco over one I think.

I appreciate my reply is as helpful as a staple in the helmet. Apologies.
Haha, it was pretty insightful actually. It sums up mostly what I thought they would be like. Although everyone I know who has one says they are 👍

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
@Touring_Rob you cant just go posting that and not give any more info!! MOAR INFO :love:
Lol. It's an M3 with a boot init.

I've had it for 6 years or so. I was collecting parts to build an M3 engined touring and it came up for sale which made building one much easier 🤣

Previous owner had it converted in 2009 ish I think, 2004 M3 cab met 2002 320i since everything just bolts in it's a very OEM feeling car. Drives just like a coupe and sits between a coupe and vert weight wise.

Has complete M3 running gear, SMG which for me adds to the experience (even though it's a bit s**t). Evolve remap with CSL gearbox software. Standard M3 suspension and brakes (requires better brakes).

It's been off the road for several years now whilst I play Clios but have collected all the bits for it to come out and play again.

Can't think of much else to say about it other than I bloody love a 3 series touring and I have no clue why bmw didn't put them into production. ✌️

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Lol. It's an M3 with a boot init.

I've had it for 6 years or so. I was collecting parts to build an M3 engined touring and it came up for sale which made building one much easier 🤣

Previous owner had it converted in 2009 ish I think, 2004 M3 cab met 2002 320i since everything just bolts in it's a very OEM feeling car. Drives just like a coupe and sits between a coupe and vert weight wise.

Has complete M3 running gear, SMG which for me adds to the experience (even though it's a bit s**t). Evolve remap with CSL gearbox software. Standard M3 suspension and brakes (requires better brakes).

It's been off the road for several years now whilst I play Clios but have collected all the bits for it to come out and play again.

Can't think of much else to say about it other than I bloody love a 3 series touring and I have no clue why bmw didn't put them into production. ✌️
How/why is there no thread on this?!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I have an affinity for old Munich scrap, i've had a bit of clear out recently but this is some of the fleet..

135i daily (E30 parts car lurking in the background)

View attachment 1567718

E39 530D Touring (daily/dog car)

View attachment 1567719

Vulcan Grey E30 318i (awaiting resto and engine upgrade)

View attachment 1567720

with dog (because people like dogs)

View attachment 1567721

E30 Rally Car, 2.4L F20C 300hp, 6 speed dog box etc. (awaiting respray to get rid of hideous paint scheme)

View attachment 1567722
Is it wrong that my favorite out of all of them is your e39? Such a soft spot for them!

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member

• 2013 car with 48k.

View attachment 1567717

Any other previous owners?

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
One of the many on here I think, our M140i.

20210201_170235.jpg
20210201_170222.jpg
20210201_170210.jpg

My neighbour opposite has the M Performance exhaust and I can confirm it’s loud. It doesn’t even compare to stock..

We've got the M Performance exhaust as well and especially on cold start it is a lot louder than stock.

Sounds good to me though, I think the standard exhaust is way too quiet, doesn't suit the car in sound or looks.

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182

• 2013 car with 46k.

Just wanted to note it is actually 46k, checked again this morning on my way to work. Not that 2k matters, but don't want to be giving out false facts.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Nope, from brand new, something like 8 miles on the clock.
Possible that it got abused like f**k for those 8 miles

Or those short journeys really haven't helped with the OE spec oil with it not getting up to proper working temps, Lot of Americans are running a 10-40 on cars that only see the road etc and it seems to negate any wear

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Possible that it got abused like f**k for those 8 miles

Or those short journeys really haven't helped with the OE spec oil with it not getting up to proper working temps, Lot of Americans are running a 10-40 on cars that only see the road etc and it seems to negate any wear
Maybe, we can only speculate. However, I don't know whether you've seen Evolves video on a 150k M3? Never had them done and they looked to be in the same condition as one that's done 55k. Graham Martin said BMW were told to use 10-40 by the bearing manufactures, but they refused and stuck 10-60 in.

It's sorted now but in the grand scheme of things they're not bad, certainly seen worse.

-Jamie-

ClioSport Club Member
Nah not seen that video, I've always said that all these photos of cars with worn bearings could of been like that for a huge amount of miles. Always amuses when you get the posts about the engine about to let go etc

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Is it wrong that my favorite out of all of them is your e39? Such a soft spot for them!
Funny you say that, I only bought it because we had just got the dog and needed something with AC for the summer. Begrudgingly bought it off some old bugger for £1750 (which is over the odds in Jersey for that type of car). That was 3 years ago and haven't looked back, best cheap car I have every owned! Sounds awesome for a diesel with the decat downpipe on it. Been looking at replacing it recently, but hard to find anything worthy without spending another £10k!

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Funny you say that, I only bought it because we had just got the dog and needed something with AC for the summer. Begrudgingly bought it off some old bugger for £1750 (which is over the odds in Jersey for that type of car). That was 3 years ago and haven't looked back, best cheap car I have every owned! Sounds awesome for a diesel with the decat downpipe on it. Been looking at replacing it recently, but hard to find anything worthy without spending another £10k!
10 years back when I was daily driving my old E36 328i some chap at work asked me to move his boggo spec E39 - I could not believe how smooth, quiet and nice the E39 was. I immediately went back into work and spent the rest of the day trying to find the cash (and failing) to buy an E39 M5, wish I had!!!

I think a 530i sport touring would be a really nice old thing for normal life duties. For £1800 I also can't think of anything under 10k which could replace it for the things your probably doing with it!

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
Ffs I am now looking at 135i coupes and 5 door M140i’s 🙄 realistically won’t need a saloon/estate in the next 4/5 years.
If I didn’t need rear seats I’d have gone and got a Z4 coupe.
How come you're not looking at 240's? I know they were mostly poverty spec but just odd, you're looking at old coupes with 2 doors but new hatchbacks with 5 doors.