ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BMW Thread

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Mine is a medium frame mate, but I need to adjust the positioning of the frame steady bar. If you look closely, you can see that the front wheels almost hanging off the front of the carrier lol!

Find out the wheelbase of yours and compare it with mine to get a better idea 👍🏻 Orange alpine 6 2017
Nice one cheers.

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
It's a slippery slope. I keep hovering over the buy button on some Bilstein B8's.. Apparently makes a huge difference.
A friend is taking me out in his 140 with the B12 Kit (B8 Dampers and Eibach Springs IRRC) so ill let you know the difference between my passive suspension and his in a few days hopefully :)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
My old E46. 170k Miles ,Zero rust. Sold it to some guy who tracked it and killed the original gearbox after 1 session!! It was a 2002 , I drove across London to get the bootfloor reinforced and it didn't actually need doing. But the internet made me get it done...

Also wife's X3. 3.0D. Surprisingly quick for a big car.

Attachments

• 20180513_201814.jpg
    20180513_201814.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 43
  • 20180218_105842.jpg
    20180218_105842.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 41
  • 20180218_105935.jpg
    20180218_105935.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20211107_154853.jpg
    20211107_154853.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 42

Short Legs

ClioSport Club Member
  a better one
I drove across London to get the bootfloor reinforced and it didn't actually need doing. But the internet made me get it done...
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

mine didn't have any of the following done

no evidence of a RIS been completed
no boot floor work
no replacement head gasket
no Vanos rebuild
no rod bearings replaced

and I still bought it and ran it for two years without any trouble (apart from bits of rust).

Now I'm running gen 1 997, I really do like ignoring internet advice.

Last edited:

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
excuse the double post. For those of you with a ZF gearbox - you need to buy XHP. Im still on the 50 mile run in period but wow. Just when I thought you couldnt improve on the standard ZF, this software is amazing.
Think I'm just going to go for the alpina software to begin with and see how I get on with that. Not got the spare cash to go XHP route. New kitchen has killed me 🤣

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Think I'm just going to go for the alpina software to begin with and see how I get on with that. Not got the spare cash to go XHP route. New kitchen has killed me 🤣
Yeah no dramas! I hear good things about the Alpina software so you should be good.

Im just so impressed with the feeling. Its bizarre. Its smoother, you only can feel gearchanges when youre looking at the little screen. I havent even ventured into sports or sports + yet because im not finished with the 50 miles. I have also added set off from 2nd gear which, again, absolute butter on the road. Its insane. Why BMW didnt make it like this from factory ill never know.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
It's a slippery slope. I keep hovering over the buy button on some Bilstein B8's.. Apparently makes a huge difference.
I don’t really find I have any issues with how mine feels/drives tbh. I have changed my driving style to suit a rwd car though which has helped. I’ve changed the geo from factory spec though as well in all fairness, which also makes a difference.
It’s a difficult one to explain, but I generally I tend to accelerate into the bend and all the way through it. Makes the back end drop and the front does as it’s told. Lol

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t really find I have any issues with how mine feels/drives tbh. I have changed my driving style to suit a rwd car though which has helped. I’ve changed the geo from factory spec though as well in all fairness, which also makes a difference.
It’s a difficult one to explain, but I generally I tend to accelerate into the bend and all the way through it. Makes the back end drop and the front does as it’s told. Lol

It's not the worst don't get me wrong and I can really push it along even with just the spring swap. I had no issues pushing my mate around corners in his M235i on a recent Brecon blast.

To be honest my shocks are getting on now anyway so probably a refresh would make it a lot better.

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
excuse the double post. For those of you with a ZF gearbox - you need to buy XHP. Im still on the 50 mile run in period but wow. Just when I thought you couldnt improve on the standard ZF, this software is amazing.
This is on my radar, what are you finding better?

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Currently discounted for Black Friday as well

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Sorry @Sidnancy i should have read further down.. (y)

Is it difficult to install?
No dramas mate!

Honestly, no. Its a joke how easy it is to install. You need either a OBD to ethernet cable to your laptop, or a wifi obd thing (only specific ones work) which then connects to your phone. I have the MHD Black one as I intend to go for a proper stage 1 at some point. It did a back up in 1 min 30 seconds roughly and flashing with 'stage 3' XHP took 25 seconds. Insanely fast.

I then did additional tweaks (just 'take off in 2nd gear') and it flashed in about 5 seconds.

I had a few issues initially as my obd was plugged in and I had done everything I was meant to but it just wasnt recognising the obd scanner. I had to just start the car, let it connect, then switch it all off again and start that way. It worked fine and has worked since without having to start it up but that sorted it out :)

Willo40

ClioSport Club Member
  M135i
No dramas mate!

Honestly, no. Its a joke how easy it is to install. You need either a OBD to ethernet cable to your laptop, or a wifi obd thing (only specific ones work) which then connects to your phone. I have the MHD Black one as I intend to go for a proper stage 1 at some point. It did a back up in 1 min 30 seconds roughly and flashing with 'stage 3' XHP took 25 seconds. Insanely fast.

I then did additional tweaks (just 'take off in 2nd gear') and it flashed in about 5 seconds.

I had a few issues initially as my obd was plugged in and I had done everything I was meant to but it just wasnt recognising the obd scanner. I had to just start the car, let it connect, then switch it all off again and start that way. It worked fine and has worked since without having to start it up but that sorted it out :)
Cheers mate, i am really tempted to order it today, so do you have to buy the license, and then the map packs? so works out £216ish?

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
I've got the Alpina flash on mine and it's great tbh. XHP is supposed to be better again but I'm happy with the Alpina software.

I took advange of the connected drive offer last night as I still had 2015 maps. Other than map update and live traffic, is there any other good features?

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Cheers mate, i am really tempted to order it today, so do you have to buy the license, and then the map packs? so works out £216ish?
Yep, exactly that. I wanted XHP for ages and waited for BF as its the only time of the year they do a deal. I should have been a northerner im that tight ;)

You need to add 2 things to your basket. The license, and then the Maps. Totals what you said mate. One tip - create a new email address and register XHP to your car that way. That way, when you sell your car, you can sell it with XHP and you dont have to give out your personal email details. I just created one with my cars original reg.

I had also planned on buying MHD tuning software. However, its £330 even in sale with all the monitoring etc. the car is fast enough with a little JB+ tuning box and I cant be trusted with the adjustability of burbles...;)

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I've got the Alpina flash on mine and it's great tbh. XHP is supposed to be better again but I'm happy with the Alpina software.

I took advange of the connected drive offer last night as I still had 2015 maps. Other than map update and live traffic, is there any other good features?
My connected drive just expired. I found it really handy knowing whether the car was locked or not. Sounds paranoid but its just so nice to be able to know for sure its locked. Range is handy. Any other features I just found redundant tbh

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
That's a Sport Evolution, they were a fair bit more pokey (roughly 240hp). 0-60 in a blistering 6 seconds.. :LOL:
In its time that's crazy performance.
Pah, diesel estates quicker now though. 🤣🤣

I'd rather have the m3 though!

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Fuckin bag of s**t BMWs 😬 Battery is fucked, which in turn has bricked the electric steering lock, so its not allowing it to start now. Aa guy has cleared the ELV counter, which has unlocked the steering, but it still won't start, so needs a new one. The garage can't take it til Monday and even then am not sure if he can fix it that day. w**k.

1637939305916.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Thinking on @Sidnancy, would that be the cause of the steering lock issues if it wasn't coded? We had lights and radio etc with the spare battery he tried.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Thinking on @Sidnancy, would that be the cause of the steering lock issues if it wasn't coded? We had lights and radio etc with the spare battery he tried.
Battery coding only effects charging of the battery, you can replace with a like for like battery and the car should start and function as normal. It will still charge also but not necessarily as it should and can affect the life of the battery. It still needs to be coded but you don't have to do it straight away.

The ELV counter issue is because the car has seen the steering lock fail to complete a successful unlock cycle, it thinks the steering lock has malfunctioned and disables engine start, as driving with a steering lock that could lock on at any moment would be pretty dangerous..

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Fuckin bag of s**t BMWs 😬 Battery is fucked, which in turn has bricked the electric steering lock, so its not allowing it to start now. Aa guy has cleared the ELV counter, which has unlocked the steering, but it still won't start, so needs a new one. The garage can't take it til Monday and even then am not sure if he can fix it that day. w**k.

View attachment 1568032
Have you been in to bmw for the branching point QE?

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Are you even a BMW customer if you haven’t rang them up and said “since you did my recall my car won’t start” ??

"Since you did an oil change 4 months ago, my left front indicator stopped working last week" my pal loves customers like that 😂

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
This is my workhorse, 2011 325d, N57 engine so same as the 330d but different map on it.

150k on it, spec isn't bad, it has the pano roof, pro nav etc.... But no xenons 😅.

I've been working through a couple of issues and it now seems to be running nice, needs a glow plug module and I think possibly an injector in cylinder 1.

May swap it for something bigger soon as I would like a little more space whilst driving, should have jumped on the 5 series in the for sale section but was too slow!

Attachments

• IMG_20210808_195626-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210808_195626-01.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20210808_195649-01.jpeg
    IMG_20210808_195649-01.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 30