ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The BMW Thread

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
This is my workhorse, 2011 325d, N57 engine so same as the 330d but different map on it.

150k on it, spec isn't bad, it has the pano roof, pro nav etc.... But no xenons 😅.

I've been working through a couple of issues and it now seems to be running nice, needs a glow plug module and I think possibly an injector in cylinder 1.

May swap it for something bigger soon as I would like a little more space whilst driving, should have jumped on the 5 series in the for sale section but was too slow!
What are your symptoms of glow plug/injectors?
I have a 30d and it absolutely STINKS of fuel at the back of the car and the mpg is dog s**t.
It runs sweet though, no EML on and goes like stink so I’m sure it’s running fine.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
Glow plug module hasn't shown any symptoms that I've noticed but it's showing as needing a module when I've scanned it with bimmertool.

I haven't rushed to do it with the lack of symptoms but I'll get round to it at some point.

Injector wise it's a bit lumpy on idle and showing as rough running regulation on cylinder one via bimmertool so I'm assuming it's the injector, I had a bent con rod sorted recently so everything else was checked whilst he was in there and was fine but he mentioned he thinks an injector was on its way out, it wasn't showing up on any cylinder at the time but is showing as cylinder 1 now so would make sense.

In summary, that was a long reply with not much helpful input so apologies! I reccomend a k + D can cable and the free bimmer tool app though for diagnostics if you don't fancy the whole software download process, it's been useful for me with abs sensors etc.

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
excuse the double post. For those of you with a ZF gearbox - you need to buy XHP. Im still on the 50 mile run in period but wow. Just when I thought you couldnt improve on the standard ZF, this software is amazing.

Would you say it's worth the price even when pootling about with the wife and kids on board most of the time or will it be better for more spirited driving?

SteveC_1879

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Would you say it's worth the price even when pootling about with the wife and kids on board most of the time or will it be better for more spirited driving?

I did mine, all be it a while back and I’m sure it wasn’t expensive. Can’t remember exactly but was under £250 to do it and it transformed the car. I’d probably say that was a bigger improvement than the remap which grew me over a hundred horses and a bazillion torques

Reactions: MLB

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Thats pretty much the driving I do too! Most of the time im either commuting or going to customers houses to estimate. Hardly blast worthy driving 🤣

But, yes. Its still worth it. The smoothness of comfort alone is just brilliant. Its so hard to explain but its seamless. The only time I can ever feel a gear change is possibly 2nd to 3rd and thats only when giving it half throttle. All the other gears are just a blend into one. Its great.

I tried sports and sport + last night, only for a very short period of time. Defo got more of the VAG 'fart' between gears which im not opposed to. It shifts much much faster. Okay, it wasnt slow before but its much sharper this time. Its really hard to explain. If youre near brighton, I can take you out for a spin :)

MLB

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds brilliant! Sadly a five hour drive away from Brighton but thanks for the offer!

What obdii unit did you/do people use?

I'm looking at the WiFi ones, any difference between the THOR and MHD orange one in functionality for a m140i?

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Sounds brilliant! Sadly a five hour drive away from Brighton but thanks for the offer!

What obdii unit did you/do people use?

I'm looking at the WiFi ones, any difference between the THOR and MHD orange one in functionality for a m140i?
No dramas, bit far just to have a 10 minute spin haha.

I have the MHD Black one. Its the fastest apparently (it was rapid to back up and flash tbf). Can find them used for around £50. I only really god that as I plan on going with a MHD tune at some stage. Its fast enough currently though...might be different after I find some better suspension ;)

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
What are your symptoms of glow plug/injectors?
I have a 30d and it absolutely STINKS of fuel at the back of the car and the mpg is dog s**t.
It runs sweet though, no EML on and goes like stink so I’m sure it’s running fine.

Coolant temp not right, I think.

Clio 200/Clio 182
My BMW M240i that I sold earlier this year, I don't regret selling it as financially it was the right move for me at the time but I do miss the car it was a great all round package of power/comfort/performance etc and probably the best car i've owned! I would own one again in a heartbeat and having driven both M2/M2 Comp etc I think the 'M-lites' are a better all round package!

IMG_0597.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Update on the E60. AA turned up too late on Monday to take it to the garage, so rearranged for Wednesday.

DSC_8752.JPG

Driving the E46 cab in this weather was a bit chilly.

Finally got dragged onto the truck on Wednesday afternoon

DSC_8753.JPG

My pal rang me Friday to say the battery was indeed knackered, but after putting a new one on, it fired up right away. No issues with the ELV. So the AA guy clearly did something wrong and the spare battery he had on his van was just as fucked as mine. All he had to do was go get me a new one from Halfords and fit it. Instead I've had a week of pissing about and switching cars around. Bellend.

Sidnancy

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Thats my experience of the AA pretty much too.

Had a work van break down. Told them on the phone it was a LWB. Small tow truck arrived. Guy basically took one look, told me he was due to finish in an hour and just drove off. Had to wait till 2am for a longer truck to arrive. All just over a mile from my house and I couldnt leave it because they had no information as to when it was going to arrive

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
They are shockingly s**t. But, I have garage cover with them which covers the costs of the parts and labour to repair. I don't think any other recovery service offer that, so it's worth putting up with them

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
They are shockingly s**t. But, I have garage cover with them which covers the costs of the parts and labour to repair. I don't think any other recovery service offer that, so it's worth putting up with them
When the power steering shat itself on the 182 when I was in Wales they was brilliant for me. Must've been one of the good ones.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
My BMW M240i that I sold earlier this year, I don't regret selling it as financially it was the right move for me at the time but I do miss the car it was a great all round package of power/comfort/performance etc and probably the best car i've owned! I would own one again in a heartbeat and having driven both M2/M2 Comp etc I think the 'M-lites' are a better all round package!

View attachment 1568296

Wonder what that's worth in today's market over what you sold it for 👀

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I think its possibly time to consider the M135i

View attachment 1569388
Not sure how technical you are, but perhaps check that the alternator is charging the battery correctly?
My 335i's alternator regulator had a sporadic failure whereby it would occasionally not charge properly, eventualy leaving me stranded on the side of the M3.
Part was about £45 and bolted onto the side of the alternator.

Naturally it was 100% coincidence that it had been into BMW for the b-cable recall a few days previously which they did so badly i had to redo :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Not sure how technical you are, but perhaps check that the alternator is charging the battery correctly?
My 335i's alternator regulator had a sporadic failure whereby it would occasionally not charge properly, eventualy leaving me stranded on the side of the M3.
Part was about £45 and bolted onto the side of the alternator.

Naturally it was 100% coincidence that it had been into BMW for the b-cable recall a few days previously which they did so badly i had to redo :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

The dead battery was last week. This week was the starter motor 🙄

Hopefully thats sorted now and I can start saving up some money for a deposit in case I fancy an M135i/M140i next year.

TomSx

ClioSport Club Member
Passed their inspection with 0 advisories which surprises me now it’s getting on. The guy seemed almost surprised the rear diff wasn’t leaking so assume this is a thing?! 😆

Even got a free scratchy mitt clean.

9981EE34-A88B-49E0-AF5C-4A21BB23A0C5.jpeg

My wheels are going badly now though so got to decide whether to refurb or replace. I’m also at a stalemate whether to keep it, buy some bilstein’s and M140 arb for it or get shot. I’d love an M2.

Flat Eric

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Passed their inspection with 0 advisories which surprises me now it’s getting on. The guy seemed almost surprised the rear diff wasn’t leaking so assume this is a thing?! 😆

Even got a free scratchy mitt clean.

View attachment 1569947

My wheels are going badly now though so got to decide whether to refurb or replace. I’m also at a stalemate whether to keep it, buy some bilstein’s and M140 arb for it or get shot. I’d love an M2.

It's ticks more boxes than the M2 does though. Keep it

-Rob

ClioSport Club Member
£30k for a ready built V8 1 series?

How to completely ruin a 1 series from the back.

CSL badge
Some sort of cliff bootlid (if it was more CSL styled it may suit the lines of the car better)
Rear bumper that isn’t a 1m bumper

I think if you sourced the bits you could have an entire project complete for around £26,000 including labour. (I’ve priced it up and have friends that have done one)

A great car and a good conversion, I’m tempted to do one.