ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The DIY Thread

Aaron..

ClioSport Club Member
So I manually turned the timer past the heating on point and it came on, I then turned it past the off point and it went off.
Issue with the timer then?

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
I built this pitched roof on a pergola about 8 years ago with shingle roofing tiles. I had a call last week, the landscaper was there to remove the decking from underneath and replace it with tiles but noticed a couple of 4x4 posts weren't level and looked like it was on the lean.

Yeah it was about 30mm out on the piss, and after ripping up some decking it showed that the post was rotten at floor level. That was until the whole decking area was ripped up and we started to dig out the first of 6 posts! Look at the state of that!
DSC_1416~2.JPG

I said I'd beef up the posts to 6x6 from 4x4 to stand a chance of lasting a few years and hold the weight of the roof better. The acrow props were put in place the end of last week to stop it from leaning over and to support the corner where the rotten post was. Then using one to crank it back in the upright position.

DSC_1410~2.JPG
DSC_1411~3.JPG

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Posh c**t. Fuckin size of that 😂
I wouldn't be lying if I said I spent a whole year working on projects for them and on/off since they bought the property over 8 years ago. Lane pool with pool house at the end of the garden, massive outbuilding housing a grand piano in a study with an art studio next door. Extension to the outbuilding for the full size snooker table. Then you have the main house.

RyG

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
I wouldn't be lying if I said I spent a whole year working on projects for them and on/off since they bought the property over 8 years ago. Lane pool with pool house at the end of the garden, massive outbuilding housing a grand piano in a study with an art studio next door. Extension to the outbuilding for the full size snooker table. Then you have the main house.
Are you a carpenter by trade then? Interesting to know as you’re just down the road! ;-)

Ricardos

ClioSport Club Member
  LY 200 EDC
Are you a carpenter by trade then? Interesting to know as you’re just down the road! ;-)
I am indeed 😁 I left school straight into a 3 year carpentry and joinery apprenticeship with a local company gaining full City and Guilds indentures at the end of it

Premature Tarby!

ClioSport Moderator
Had someone round earlier to quote for overboarding and plastering a bedroom ceiling. Room is roughly 4x4m ish maybe touch smaller. He's come back with £166. Sound about right? I've never had plastering done before so literally no clue

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Had someone round earlier to quote for overboarding and plastering a bedroom ceiling. Room is roughly 4x4m ish maybe touch smaller. He's come back with £166. Sound about right? I've never had plastering done before so literally no clue
That’s dirt cheap.

However it sounds more like boarding and jointing... not actually plastering it? I’d check.

Premature Tarby!

ClioSport Moderator
That’s dirt cheap.

However it sounds more like boarding and jointing... not actually plastering it? I’d check.
I think he's gonna plaster it. I wasn't in when he came round unfortunately, but Mrs said he told her we'd have to wait a while before painting it, so I doubt he's just jointing it

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
I'm guessing that's plus materials?

RyG

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
My FIL’s cousin is a plasterer and charges us £80 a day, plus materials.

This almost sounds on par with that! If he’s decent, that’s a good result.

Premature Tarby!

ClioSport Moderator
I'll reserve judgment untill I see the finished job lol

Won't be any worse than it currently is. If it turns out to be decent then he'll get quite a bit of work from me

370Z, Fiesta ST2
Although its not DIY - but someone here will probably know. When having external windows/doors replaced, should the frame be sealed to the brickwork prior to the visible sealant on the inside & outside (which is then just for water tightness & appearance)

Building regs state

Windows should be installed on a bed of sealant across the sill and beads of sealant applied vertically to the DPC or cavity closer and horizontally across the head of the window to form a seal between the rear of the window and the wall. Either insulation of suitable backing materials such as closed cell foam roll should be used in the gap between the window and wall to ensure the external sealant applied pressure to the frame and wall when applied. Suitable external sealant should be applied to cover and form a water resistant joint between the frame and wall

leeds2592

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182
Anyone any ideas how to paint the first course of bricks neatly? Tried a masking a little bit and it leaked through, masking tape dropped off half way through and it was a massive faff. Nicked our decent cutting in brush from the house and used that and it looks alright but it's really time consuming.

Just wondering if I'm missing something massively obvious to help or whether I should keep just doing it by hand with the cutting brush?

IMG_20201122_191551.jpg

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
Anyone any ideas how to paint the first course of bricks neatly? Tried a masking a little bit and it leaked through, masking tape dropped off half way through and it was a massive faff. Nicked our decent cutting in brush from the house and used that and it looks alright but it's really time consuming.

Just wondering if I'm missing something massively obvious to help or whether I should keep just doing it by hand with the cutting brush?

View attachment 1507379
Mask it where you want to paint, spray above with some plastidip, remove mask and paint then peel off plastidip