ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The DIY Thread

MarcJP

ClioSport Club Member
  E-Cab
Saw that on your insta story yesterday about painting the door. I assume it's a composite door? Which paint you going to use? I want to do ours. It's currently the exact same colour as yours and I hate it!
I’m about to paint my front door (composite) and I’ve bought Bedec Multi-Surface paint - Toolstation sell it. Gets good reviews.

MarcJP

ClioSport Club Member
  E-Cab
Let me know how you find it. Does it need a primer?
Apparently not, they say it can go straight on, I’m going to give it a quick once over with an orbital though, I think. They say the first coat looks a bit watery, but once you get another 2/3 coats on, it looks great.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I've just done my front door with frenchic alfresco paint.. two coats from black to this (please excuse the rubbish outside im renovating and waiting on a skip!)
20210331_143425.jpg

Also done the gas meter box in the same paint

370Z, Fiesta ST2
Whats the finish like? See loads of people using it on FB but no one ever mentions how well it lasts or what its like close up.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
Whats the finish like? See loads of people using it on FB but no one ever mentions how well it lasts or what its like close up.
Finish is really good, feels the same as the doo did before painting.

We've also done our kitchen units previously and they are still perfect 6 months on

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Has anyone built a pergola? Looking to do one in the next month or so - unsure what the best type of wood to use, so any recommendations would be appreciated!

Archtronics

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
Has anyone built a pergola? Looking to do one in the next month or so - unsure what the best type of wood to use, so any recommendations would be appreciated!

Any tannilised timber from a merchants will do, untreated will also work but can warp out of shape.

2005 Fabia Vrs
What’s the crack with the decorating centre please? I get that it’s colour matched, but is it worth getting their matched paint over say dulux? It’s a little extra money but does leyland trade paint go on better than dulux as haven’t been that happy last time I used dulux. @Bubbles @leeds2592

MarcJP

ClioSport Club Member
  E-Cab
What’s the crack with the decorating centre please? I get that it’s colour matched, but is it worth getting their matched paint over say dulux? It’s a little extra money but does leyland trade paint go on better than dulux as haven’t been that happy last time I used dulux. @Bubbles @leeds2592
My Mum is always decorating her house (genuinely - she goes from room to room, and starts again), and she swears by DCO.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
If there’s a dulux colour you like, get dulux... it’s only when you start getting to the more ‘premium’ brands that it works out better really

A 2.5ltr tin of F&B is what, £40? Getting the colour matched at DCO is £25 and I think the quality is better

A lot of us are talking about it... must mean it’s good 🙂

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
I’m about to paint my front door (composite) and I’ve bought Bedec Multi-Surface paint - Toolstation sell it. Gets good reviews.
What colour have you chosen?

I wouldn’t sand it though (IMO) I’ve painted the inside of my current front door and the outside of my garage side door and neither have needed sanding.. it’s not wood. Just sugar soap it (I have wipes which are handy) and give it a good clean and then slap it on!

I’ve always primed first though.. I just feel better for doing it, knowing there is a good undercoat for that top coat to stick to

I had some new porcelain front steps installed today, I’m itching to get the door painted but I don’t want to rush it, and I want to prime first, so will have to wait until next weekend - and ideally I’d like the temp to come up a bit (you shouldn’t paint outside stuff when it drops below 10 degrees)

370Z, Fiesta ST2
I use a chain called Brewers, who have their own brand 'Albany' which is miles better than anything you can buy in B&Q. I had a professional decorator in for some work and he was impressed by the finish it gave too.

MarcJP

ClioSport Club Member
  E-Cab
What colour have you chosen?

I wouldn’t sand it though (IMO) I’ve painted the inside of my current front door and the outside of my garage side door and neither have needed sanding.. it’s not wood. Just sugar soap it (I have wipes which are handy) and give it a good clean and then slap it on!

I’ve always primed first though.. I just feel better for doing it, knowing there is a good undercoat for that top coat to stick to

I had some new porcelain front steps installed today, I’m itching to get the door painted but I don’t want to rush it, and I want to prime first, so will have to wait until next weekend - and ideally I’d like the temp to come up a bit (you shouldn’t paint outside stuff when it drops below 10 degrees)
I’ve gone Satin Dark Grey (wanted Matt but they didn’t have any). I’ve chosen Grey because...I’m an individual, and a setter of trends.

Yeah I was going to sugar soap after sanding, but fair point, I won’t bother sanding (I was only going to do it lightly so I guess it won’t be missed that much)

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
50 shades of boring, you’ll fit right in 🤪

I think you’ve done the right thing with satin, Matt isn’t very forgiving.. I painted our works front door in Matt and there are a few marks from nature on it (snail trails ect)

That’s partly why I went for f&b paint as they offer eggshell with sits between Matt and satin

Make sure you take before and after pics

RyG

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
1617527241394.png
I want to strip the current 1980s wallpaper and repaint in my stairs etc. I’ve never had to do this before... I guess I just need an extra ladder and a scaffold plank or two.

Any better methods to consider? My wife is convinced I will die.
1617527241394.png

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
Garage side door all painted, didn’t take any before pics but it was white, and had gone green and grubby

DAFE8D74-86EE-4C2A-BF44-1B8A84F8506E.jpeg
DEC38648-0142-4DB0-8391-1CB50977DBC6.jpeg

And now as the weather is so good I decided to prime the faded red front door

90B0A404-AC77-428E-A390-09FDA6F3AC1E.jpeg

EC1C277A-0CFB-4DAA-B547-63339D21E3A6.jpeg

It’s now had 3 coats

this was the outside yesterday.. my new steps are lush

9928317D-C201-4779-BCBA-1AAC9BC0E4A0.jpeg

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
Not sure if it's the photos but those steps look all over the place @Bubbles
Are you painting the front door the same as the back door?

Lol you’re right, they do look like fun house steps, but the steps are level.. it’s cause the house is on a slope, so for steps to be level the rest has to slant lol - I guess he should dug down more on one side? God knows

And no, the front door is being painted ‘purbeck stone’ by F&B. I don’t want an anthracite front door.. want something a lot softer

0266466E-6E1B-4D12-B019-C934712BF430.jpeg

Louis

ClioSport Club Member
Lol you’re right, they do look like fun house steps, but the steps are level.. it’s cause the house is on a slope, so for steps to be level the rest has to slant lol

And no, the front door is being painted ‘purbeck stone’ by F&B. I don’t want an anthracite front door.. want something a lot softer

View attachment 1530985
The bottom photo of before they look level?

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
The bottom photo of before they look level?
You can see on the ‘before’ the bottom slab is starting to creep up the brick above it on the left hand side

But yeah, they look terrible now, thanks peeps, maybe it’s cause some bits were still wet, they don’t look bad here?

38293862-A682-43ED-BA9F-6FA3F5B9E2F4.jpeg

J-J

ClioSport Club Member
Screenshot_20210404_202022_com.android.chrome~2.jpg

This would wind me up every single day arriving home.

Step one, riser covers return, step two return covers riser.

CS disclaimer, your house is well more baller than mine and I accept this.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
View attachment 1531045

This would wind me up every single day arriving home.

Step one, riser covers return, step two return covers riser.

CS disclaimer, your house is well more baller than mine and I accept this.

I had already called him out on that lol - he’ll come back and look at my steps 🙂 thanks for your comments

wonky steps, wonky bricks.. but I love every bit of it

182D614C-7247-42EF-8DA6-BB8FE2F16142.jpeg

next step, take all that gravel out and get it turfed

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
Small little brick wall either side of the steps with some side lighting would look nice but an added expense.

Bubbles

ClioSport Club Member
  A35 AMG
I'd wall across the front of the new lawn area too to stop any dogs pissing or shitting on it.
Harder to walk prams over if anyone's parked on the pavement too.
My dad has made a suggestion.... and he’s going to cost me money lol, he’s suggested I extend my garden bricked wall out.. use that dead space out the front and make the garden wider - might be something to look into, I’d have to speak to planning I guess? But the space is just dead space - the previous owners weren’t gardeners by any means and just had 4 tons of gravel delivered, I want to returf it, it’d be so much nicer with some green! But I’ve had a quote for railings.. so worst case will turf and rail

CCEEB31F-653E-4F48-8D8B-10E75DC0DC8D.jpeg

Aaron..

ClioSport Club Member
Has anyone had their driveway re done recently?

We want to widen ours at the front, taking out a triangle of grass and some of the front wall so we can get cars side by side.

Currently it's concreted and looks a mess. I don't know whether to try the resin driveway as they lay it over, rip everything up and start again with blocks, or, do like next door have and lay flags over the existing concrete, although I'm not sure about that way effecting the damp proof?

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
You say that and it's reminded me of a neighbor having her garden furniture robbed last summer and we spotted that someone had marked an X on the fence post at the back garden 🤔
Nothing worse than someone going out of their way to potentially get caught on cctv marking someone's fence post to let their criminal brothers know that this place has some sexy garden furniture eh 😂

Liamm

ClioSport Club Member
  09 astra 1.6 T
It's best when someone has circles spray painted on the path outside their house and put it allover Facebook thinking their dogs gonna be taken. And it turns out to be Virgin media marking where the cables going