ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The DIY Thread

Crazylegs

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
We've bought a book recommended by a trader called DIY - Know how with show how. It's a brilliant book with clear guidance for doing pretty much anything in or around the house, worth investing in.

2005 Fabia Vrs
We've bought a book recommended by a trader called DIY - Know how with show how. It's a brilliant book with clear guidance for doing pretty much anything in or around the house, worth investing in.
Thanks. Just ordered one off eBay, I need all the help I can get. 🤣

Ol’ Tarby!

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Got it from a motorway services a few years ago for a 5er. Bargain
IMG_20210405_145948.jpg

Cookson

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk1 Audi TT 3.2 V6
Done a little graft over the bank holiday. This wasted area at the front was just full of big ivy roots and weeds. Probably used to look nice in the 80s.

_20210405_160538.JPG

So I decided to dig it out. I want it fairly flat so I can lay some black sheeting down and put some low maintenance white stones one. Thinking maybe doing a 90degree decking planter in the corner.

I have done 3 tip runs and reckon I've moved about a tonne of soil and rubble, along with the roots. I'm fucked now, so going to have a cold beer or 6

DSC_7359.JPG
DSC_7360.JPG
DSC_7372.JPG
DSC_7429.JPG
DSC_7430.JPG
DSC_7431.JPG
DSC_7432.JPG
DSC_7433.JPG

Breamy

ClioSport Club Member
My dad has made a suggestion.... and he’s going to cost me money lol, he’s suggested I extend my garden bricked wall out.. use that dead space out the front and make the garden wider - might be something to look into, I’d have to speak to planning I guess? But the space is just dead space - the previous owners weren’t gardeners by any means and just had 4 tons of gravel delivered, I want to returf it, it’d be so much nicer with some green! But I’ve had a quote for railings.. so worst case will turf and rail

View attachment 1531048
You may struggle to get planning. We wanted to move a fence out and couldn't.
Also that would cost a fortune to rebuild the wall with footings etc

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Fuckin ell, what you planning on putting on it?! 😂

An extension by the look of things 😂

The decking I ripped up was rotten to f**k, and bouncy. Basically, I did the opposite to what the previous people did.

Really like working with wood tbh, the pergola I’m planning is going to sit over the new patio at the back. Can’t wait to get cracking on with that now!

Chuckles

ClioSport Moderator
An extension by the look of things 😂

The decking I ripped up was rotten to f**k, and bouncy. Basically, I did the opposite to what the previous people did.

Really like working with wood tbh, the pergola I’m planning is going to sit over the new patio at the back. Can’t wait to get cracking on with that now!
Shame the pergola isn’t going over that deck, it would make a great base

370Z, Fiesta ST2
The amount of shite decking you see where it bounces all over the place when you walk on it. Great to see someone actually making something sturdy! My dad went overkill when designing theirs, it didn't move at all even 5 years later - parts of it were around 1m off the ground too.

E92 M3 Monte Carlo
Been doing drive at our new house. Apparently the drive that was down was original from 1970. Dug it off stoned it an block edged it, got tarmacers coming next week to finish it off

Attachments

• 20210224_145617.jpg
    20210224_145617.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 67
  • 20210331_124846.jpg
    20210331_124846.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210402_192153.jpg
    20210402_192153.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 65
  • 20210409_171239.jpg
    20210409_171239.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 65

Coby.

ClioSport Club Member
I'm probably being really thick here but how the hell do you drill a hole so close to a corner? No way will my drill allow me to get so tight to the wall.

20210414_102216.jpg

You should be able to just line up the holes with the rightmost side of the slots, any screw/drill/driver should be able to reach then as you’d be away from the part of the bracket that’s sticking out.
1390FACF-4BD2-4C26-8DC4-15AF4DD72422.jpeg

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Are you available for side jobs? :LOL: I want to put decking at the bottom of ours, but I've not got a clue where to start

Tbh mate it’s fairly simple! I went completely overkill with amount of posts I postcreted in, wanted it as sturdy as possibly as 1) it’s raised and 2) the back end is fastened to the house.

@Chuckles also laughed at me using 6x2’s.

Are you planning to use normal decking or composite? Just bear in mind with composite the spacing between rafters will be smaller than using timber.

If you’ve never done it before like me, just take your time with planning, get/borrow a chop saw and buy decent clamps!

Managed to get down a fair amount of mine the Saturday. Ran out of 6mm spacers which stopped the fun though.

3F5041FA-71EE-478B-984F-9E56CE0BB738.jpeg

I also realised the either a) I’m terrible at measuring or b) the house is at a slight angle, as the posts at the end don’t line up 😂 - spending tonight packing them out before the step goes it.

MR2 Mk3 / Giulietta
You should be able to just line up the holes with the rightmost side of the slots, any screw/drill/driver should be able to reach then as you’d be away from the part of the bracket that’s sticking out. View attachment 1532900

Mark the holes with a pencil, drill at an angle as required, bang a plug in, tap it flush, drive a panhead screw in with a screwdriver.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
With the recent spell of decent weather, I was FINALLY able to complete the refurbishment of my oak front door. I had done the inside some time ago but Welsh weather, my busy schedule, and my lazy-ass meant the outside had been put-off until recently.

The inside looked like this upon completion...

20200131_131511.jpg

...but the outside looked like crap.

01.jpg

The previous owner had used some dark stain on the exterior (which was daft as it just did not fit in with the oak used everywhere else). Over the years the door had been neglected and the protection was poor at best - which was a bit of an issue given the aspect of the house and the fact that it experiences the full force of most poor weather fronts and storms.

My poor software developer fingers...! 🤣 12.5 hours of sanding was required in the end but I was chuffed with how nicely the wood and grain 'jumped' out. A little bit of sympathetic filling was needed here and there, and a couple of chamfered edges had to be sacrificed due to minor splits, but overall the door remained solid, secure and stable.

02.jpg

A few coats of exterior varnish later...

03.jpg

I'm happy with how it turned out and it really has refreshed the house front no end. We have an oak porch that is being built August / September and, along with the changes we are planning for the front garden, I think it will pretty tidy. I hope. :LOL:

Luke

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
Thanks mate! Sorted it a little while back.

After 20 minutes of scratching my head like a r****d 😂

Edit: r****d is in the swear filter!?

DCi
Before I admit defeat let's see if I've missed something dumb...

Got a leaky loo - very slow drip where the isolation valve meets the refill valve (Feeds from the bottom)

Change the red washer in the valve, still doing it, changed the refill valve, still doing it

It's coming out the top of the isolation valve, so isolating means it's not an urgent problem so that's cool

There was no ptfe tape on the joint so I didn't put any on when changing stuff - assuming thats right? (That probably sounds dumb but I don't trust the house builders to have done it properly in the first place haha)

I don't really fancy changing the isolation valve myself because if I f**k it up I have to leave the water off so just checking that's all that's left before I call someone who knows what they are doing in because I've done the easy bits

My garden last year

1620038966141.png

And now

1620038956797.png

Ripped out the back fence ready for a new one. Taken out about 8 old concrete posts, 5 trees and absolutely ruined every square mm of my body over the past couple of weekends. Me and the neighbour managed to get the first post up on Saturday and overfilled 2 skips of s**t (The 2nd one is being collected today which will be funny to watch his face). There was so much ivy growing over everything it took us at least a day just to cut the old fence free, in the end I just broke out the chainsaw and went through the f**king lot

1620038973024.png

Pay for the smallest skip possible, pile it as high as possible 😂 There's at least 2 tonne of topsoil in that, I was very tempted to break out the wacker plate and start really packing it in 😂

1620038992341.png

1620038999091.png

My neighbours garden goes around the back of mine, the previous owners of my house were too tight to buy the land when it was offered so the neighbours snapped it up. I've gained about 3ft of garden removing all the trees and s**t and my neighbours have probably gained the same. The old fence twined with Ivy was about 2ft thick!!

Pictures just don't do the f**king job justice of how bad it was. My neighbours have more pics so I'll have to grab some from them

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Before I admit defeat let's see if I've missed something dumb...

Got a leaky loo - very slow drip where the isolation valve meets the refill valve (Feeds from the bottom)

Change the red washer in the valve, still doing it, changed the refill valve, still doing it

It's coming out the top of the isolation valve, so isolating means it's not an urgent problem so that's cool

There was no ptfe tape on the joint so I didn't put any on when changing stuff - assuming thats right? (That probably sounds dumb but I don't trust the house builders to have done it properly in the first place haha)

I don't really fancy changing the isolation valve myself because if I f**k it up I have to leave the water off so just checking that's all that's left before I call someone who knows what they are doing in because I've done the easy bits

Is it a flexi inbetween isolation valve and toilet? A pic would help?

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
My garden last year

View attachment 1536356

And now

View attachment 1536355

Ripped out the back fence ready for a new one. Taken out about 8 old concrete posts, 5 trees and absolutely ruined every square mm of my body over the past couple of weekends. Me and the neighbour managed to get the first post up on Saturday and overfilled 2 skips of s**t (The 2nd one is being collected today which will be funny to watch his face). There was so much ivy growing over everything it took us at least a day just to cut the old fence free, in the end I just broke out the chainsaw and went through the f**king lot

View attachment 1536357

Pay for the smallest skip possible, pile it as high as possible 😂 There's at least 2 tonne of topsoil in that, I was very tempted to break out the wacker plate and start really packing it in 😂

View attachment 1536358
View attachment 1536359

My neighbours garden goes around the back of mine, the previous owners of my house were too tight to buy the land when it was offered so the neighbours snapped it up. I've gained about 3ft of garden removing all the trees and s**t and my neighbours have probably gained the same. The old fence twined with Ivy was about 2ft thick!!

Pictures just don't do the f**king job justice of how bad it was. My neighbours have more pics so I'll have to grab some from them

Surprised you didn't just burn all the timber!