ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The DIY Thread

DCi
ahh good news and bad news.

good - the leak isn't my work where i changed the fill valve thing
bad - the isolation valve has gone... gonna call a plumber haha

2005 Fabia Vrs
ahh good news and bad news.

good - the leak isn't my work where i changed the fill valve thing
bad - the isolation valve has gone... gonna call a plumber haha
If your fairly competent you can change the isolation valve yourself instead of getting a plumber in. Seriously I’m a complete idiot and I have changed two now without any issues. Really simple stuff.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
There was no ptfe tape on the joint so I didn't put any on when changing stuff - assuming thats right? (That probably sounds dumb but I don't trust the house builders to have done it properly in the first place haha)

Putting ptfe on would most likely fix the problem, at least 6 full wraps round the nut/thread joint plumbing wise (on any nut/thread joint it should have been done originally), make sure you wrap it the opposite way to what you will tighten it so it doesn't unravel as you screw it in too.

With a fitting like that one there would be an o-ring in the top nut too (flat rubber washer), so check that it is actually in there, if not that's why it's leaking.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Putting ptfe on would most likely fix the problem, at least 6 full wraps round the nut/thread joint plumbing wise (on any nut/thread joint it should have been done originally), .

That's not correct, assuming you're talking about the compression fitting of the isolation valve.. ptfe might help stop the leak if used as you suggest, better with just a couple of wraps around the olive as that's where it seals, but it shouldn't have been done originally. Generally it only gets done on old fittings where the olive won't seal properly such as this one.

@iain187 if you hold the body of the isolation valve with a pump grips, and try pinching up the bottom nut with a spanner/adjustable, if it tightens a bit that might just stop the leak.

P-Co

ClioSport Club Member
  Hyundai Santa Fe
Surely around the olive would have been ptfe taped I would of guessed, the top that connects to the cistern should have a washer/o-ring in though so when tightened causes the seal, if that isn't in there or is worn it's bound to leak

R3k1355

ClioSport Club Member
Yea they say don't fill above the line, but since they take your money beforehand it doesn't leave them with the opportunity to add an extra charge onto the bill.

Shoot themself in the foot in that respect.

iimushroomzii

Toilet roll king
  Transit Connect.
Yea they say don't fill above the line, but since they take your money beforehand it doesn't leave them with the opportunity to add an extra charge onto the bill.

Shoot themself in the foot in that respect.

They just refuse to take them normally, which means you're left with a skip full of crap on your drive, or if things get really bad they just pick one end up empty them and take the skip away. We've had roll on/off one overfilled in the past and the skip wagons picked it up, one of the cables snapped and it wiped out half a tree and a car 🤣

DCi
Valve changed, leaked cured. Boom. Well done for encouraging me haha

There was no ptfe at top or bottom. This valve went ages so I feel happy with a new one but thats a good tip for the next one (although for 30 mins work I might just change all my valves for fun)

Finished the parking spot and moved straight onto the next project - a new patio to replace some rotten old decking

Look at the state of the joists - they just fell apart!

IMG_2978.JPG

So a small wall was built (the decking was originally at the height of the grass in the photo below), then filled with hardcore and MOT type 1

IMG_3020.JPG

And then onto laying the new patio - the weather at the weekend did hamper progress somewhat, so I'll get the rest down this coming weekend.

IMG_3097.JPG

IMG_3096.JPG

Quite pleased with it so far, and I think we will have enough spare to replace the path in the same slabs and maybe top the wall, but we're undecided on that yet.