ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Upgrade or not

mg zs / alfa 147

I would think the willy would hold its value better and you get everyone going "look a clio williams!"

you just wouldnt get that in the 172 i dont think

I have! Well, weve got both actually. People do actually look at the 172. Ive caught people peeking in through the windows of both cars quite recently!

As far as drivability and fun goes, be prepared for a bit of a shock with the handling. When you first get out of a Williams and into a 172, you will find that someone has stolen your turn in :eek:. You might also find that the 172 rolls too much (a 30mm drop will take care of this completely) and you have to commit to a corner before you go into it. No more sneaky last second adjustments mid-corner like in the Williams. Not unless you especially like travelling backwards, anyway! The chassis and general feel of the car is fine, I just think that excessively high ride height and soft springs lets it down a bit.

However, having said that, Ive just spent a weekend driving in North Wales with the 172 and have had a great time. Once you get the hang of the 172s handling (and accept that it isnt the Williams!) you will find that its a very rewarding experience. It really flows through B-roads. I gave a Porchse Boxster a tricky time keeping up with me at one point (looked in the rear view mirror to see him getting out of sorts on a corner that Id just blasted though!).

In many ways the softer, higher suspension works for the car, and you can really dig in to corners, its just that initial turn in and adjustability that is missing from it at the moment.

Anyway, thats only half the story....the engine is an absolute gem. So much fun to drive at low and high revs. Its got a lovely light clutch too compared to the one on the Willy/Valver. Overtaking manouvres that required some sizing up in the Williams can be dispatched "point and squirt" style in the 172. Its just got so much go up in the high revs. In fact, getting back into the Williams, I keep smacking into the rev limiter at 6.5k as Im wanting it to go all the way to 7250!

All in all, Id recommend keeping both cars if you can afford to. The Williams is definitely a future classic (as will the original MK1 172s be, I think, with the alloy bonnet etc.) and deserves to be polished and only taken out at the weekend. The 172 makes a brilliant day to day car (its sooooo much quieter inside!) and a seriously good b-road car.

If you want any more info, feel free to PM me (I also had a MK2 172 as well, if thats what youre after getting).

Rhys

Trophy

I went from a 2L 16v to a Cup and am now looking to swap back to a 16v/williams due to a house purchase.

Mat.

I would try to hang on to the Williams if I were you. For all the great points of the 172, it ultimately isnt a limited edition homologation special.

Naturally, the 16V/Willy series are ten years old now and dont offer their performance coupled with reliability. Thats where the 172/Cup wins. So if you can afford both - then great!

My solution has been to get insured on another car.

clio 20v

Quote: Originally posted by Ben H on 25 June 2003

I would try to hang on to the Williams if I were you. For all the great points of the 172, it ultimately isnt a limited edition homologation special.

Naturally, the 16V/Willy series are ten years old now and dont offer their performance coupled with reliability. Thats where the 172/Cup wins. So if you can afford both - then great!

My solution has been to get insured on another car.

disagree i kno a few peeps on here like to hammer fuk out of there cars me included and it seems like the valvers an willys really are strong cars and will take a good hammering with good maintenance

same cant be said for later clios when i keep reading about blown boxes and this and that breaking on a quite new car, even with the warrenty to fall back on in a new car what happens when it runs out

adi

Oh yeah, I hammer the sh*t out of my 16V at times and it just comes back for more - although the electrics are always going south. I guess Id forgotten that just because the 172 is newer that its more reliable.

But it will have a warranty. I have my Haynes manual and my intuition!

Im getting my mk2 172 in september, is there any difference in performance from the mk1?

I wouldnt have decided to get a 172 if my williams was more reliable. The last six months have been a real love hate relationship with the williams, I felt like I was swimming against the tide, Id fix one problem and two more would spring up. After 1 years ownership and £4K lighter Ive decieded to throw in the towel as it still doesnt drive like it did when I first got it!

I really hope the 172 will match the fun factor that the williams used to give me, plus its superiority on those bumpy B-roads.

Enjoyed reading your message Rhys, its given me a good insight to what itll be like when I finally get mine in 8-9weeks time!