ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

What’s wrong with my alternator?

Grd85

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane RS
At track on monday night my (172 cup) battery light and stop light were occasionally flickering. After a few sessions, the car wouldn’t start - seemed like an obvious flat battery. Got a jump from a booster pack and managed to drive home - 30 mins long. Seemed to me like the battery was knackered but it ran fine on the alternator?

So, ordered a new battery, came today and just fitted it. Started up fine, but according to multimeter it’s not charging - so i’m thinking the alternator is indeed kaput (weird how it got me home for 30 mins after a jump though?).

one question, what is the little single wire plug on the alternator for? It makes no difference when i start the car with it plugged in or unplugged - still no charging but also no battery light showing whether plugged or not.

if anyone has a suggestion on how to test the alternator/little plug for problems, would be greatly appreciated.