ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Which is the best drive, 182 or 172

172 with k-tec sound
We all know the rep these cars have, but before i upgrade from my 1.2 expression+ (with air con) there are one or two burning questions, which is the best drive overall in terms of feel and controll , u know that feeling u r connected thru the car to the road. does one just feel quicker to the other, what sound do the cars make (standard exhausts). does it make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, what are the differences and what in your opinion makes it the best?
I have driven breifley a 182 ff rb a while ago n have been a passenger a few times but unless u live with it every day its hard to get a proper idea all i know is that after the 1.2 it was fcuking fast n felt rather like been launched i was too shocked to notice the handling ect.

LY 182
the cup is the stripped back version of the 172 less weight no a/c basically you trade off the un nessecary comfort shyte fitted to the FF version in return for road feel etc mate of mine who is also on here has owned both and thinks the ff doesn't compare

172 with k-tec sound
Ok so cup seems to be the suggestion but what about gadgets n gizmos, cc sat nav zennons as standard ect.

172 with k-tec sound
the cup is the stripped back version of the 172 less weight no a/c basically you trade off the un nessecary comfort shyte fitted to the FF version in return for road feel etc mate of mine who is also on here has owned both and thinks the ff doesn't compare

cool thanx mate

172 with k-tec sound
its hard cos i like the climat con, xennons, cruise c, esp, cup packs and so on i like the cup but like the ff spec

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I was going to say that the 172 Cup is what you want, i used to have a 182 with both cup packs and the 172 cup is definately more hardcore & edgy ...

But this statement:

its hard cos i like the climat con, xennons, cruise c, esp, cup packs and so on i like the cup but like the ff spec

Makes it sound like your a puff :rasp: and would need a normal 172 or 182 with cup packs tbh ....

Last edited:
  172 with k-tec sound
ok so does anyone have the full spec for the 172 cup, what colour options are there n do they have xenons as standard.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
TBH.

You're not going to appreciate the difference between the 172 and the 172 cup on the road. And coming from a 1.2 and describing the 182 you went out in as fcuking fast I doubt the difference performance wise between the lot (which is pretty slim anyway) is going to be an issue.

Just search for any of them, and if a good deal comes up. Get it regardless of whether it's a 172/182/cup.

Astra SRI CDTI,Hornet FA8
I got a 182 with cup packs yesterday. Im absolutely loving it! Didn't think I'd take to the car this much, but I have. Everything feels solid, over bumps theres a nice thud and hardly any rattles, the ride's smooth, seats are comfy but then when you put your foot down it's so much fun.

Im really glad I swapped my sh*tty Ibiza for the 182 :D

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
just get a 172 then got coilovers. Ive had a 182/Vee and now a 172. 172's are awesome, never driven a cup so cant comment. But have driven 172 with AST coilovers on and it was good.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've owned both a 172 and a 182 FF. The 182 FF is IMO a much better drive.

I've owned both also and couldn't agree more :)

The 172 cup interior looks cheap imo plus i couldn't do without the creature comforts and xenons of my 182 .

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
I've owned both a 172 and a 182 FF. The 182 FF is IMO a much better drive.

Depends what you want. Ive got a 172 cup & used to have a 182 with both cup packs. Price wise, the cup is worth 4k, the 182 (at the time) was £11k ... it wasnt worth the extra £7k lol ...

Tbh i prefer the cup, bit more raw, but im mad, i do 30k a year and should really drive a 3 series, not a rattly old clio ...

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I've owned both also and couldn't agree more :)

I honestly cant see any difference. Are you comparing a 182 with cup packs to a 172? Then the 182 would be better but if not speed/handling there is no difference.

172 with k-tec sound
I honestly cant see any difference. Are you comparing a 182 with cup packs to a 172? Then the 182 would be better but if not speed/handling there is no difference.

im not sure tbh wasnt expecting the variations on the models

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Simple really, drive them all, see which you prefer. We all have our favourites, my girlfriend prefers her TT to my sh1tbox ... shes obviously mad ;)

Cup owners will say cup, 182 will say 182 and Ali will be along soon to say buy a V6, etc, etc :)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

Yeah , 182 with cup packs . Speedwise there was no difference in my 182 with cup packs compared to my (full fat ;) )172 , but handling wise there was definitely a difference with the 182 over the 172 , some of that could be partly down to the exaltos , the slightly lower stiffer suspension and the wider track . But there is definitely a difference imo .

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
Yeah , 182 with cup packs . Speedwise there was no difference in my 182 with cup packs compared to my (full fat ;) )172 , but handling wise there was definitely a difference with the 182 over the 172 , sone of that could be partly down to the exaltos , the slightly lower stiffer suspension and the wider track . But there is definitely a difference imo .
Oh yeah cup pack makes a big diff. STD 172's are not very toight on corners