ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams manifold/front pipe removal

Ive got various buzzs and rattles from the exhaust of my Williams, the cat back im happy with but ive not removed the front pipe or manifold on a 16v/williams before and i want to know how hard it is??

reason im thinking of removing it all is so i can re-fit everything perfect with new gaskets etc as i really cant stand the little buzzs im getting from my exhaust at present.

any advice much appreciated

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

Ive just bought a stainless steel manifold from K-Tec to replace mine. As its rattling from the sheild as the nuts have rusted off.

How much is the gasket then fellor - Ive just order mine form the dealer !

LOL, mines in the garage at the moment. They found a big crack in the manifold. Im getting mine welded, but they said it was easy to get off. 2.0 16v, speak to Paul Mitchell about the manifiolds, i spoke to him at the weekend and he was very helpful.

king - any chance of relaying what Paul said so everyone can benefit from it? also might save paul a few phone calls

Basically-

1. Easy to get off. Just a bit of wd 40 the night before on nuts as thet will have rusted.

2. Try not to round off the nuts for obvious reasons. Use a six sided socket not a 12 sided as youll round the nuts more easily with a 12, and then it becomes a hard job as difficult to get to

3. Most common place for problems is where the 4 exhausts of the manifold pass into the single pipe of the downpipe. The very outside of that is common to leak. Often solved by a single weld all round the outside

4. They get worse if you dont get rid of the leaks.

5. Might be easier to get a new manifold (40 - 60 quid), make sure its ok,weld it if necessary, then swap them over. Weld the one that came off the car / keep it as a spare / sell it.

Ive had my manifold and downpipe off a few times heres couple of tips. If you are struggling for space getting downpipe off, undo gearbox link so as engine is free to swing on other two engine mounts, this makes getting manifold and downpipe easier to get in and out. Also the two springs and nuts that attach downpipe to manifold are awkward to get back on as spring has to be compressed a little. Well dont be afraid to cut a little off one or both the springs as it makes it easier without affecting its performance. Also use a new sealing ring (£12-£14 from reno - major rip off). If u get VHT paint give manifold and downpipe a pile of coats, finish come out excellent