ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Williams re-build - What to change

Williams 2, STi N12

Hi there everybody...havnt been in this place for a long time...

Anyways, I am currently preparing my Williams for export, as I am moving to live in Finland in Dec. As I have the engine and gearbox out of the car I was wondering if any other bits would be good to change at this point - especially considering the age of the car 10years old, but only done 53K

So far I have changed the following, most cases uprated too:-

Timing Belt and Tensioners, Aux Belt, PAS Pump and hoses, Alternator, Battery, all cooling and oil breather pipes, clutch, gearbox bearings and seals, front and rear brakes inc pipes, engine mounts, heatsheild...basically anything that I can think of that may fail when out in the artic circle playing on the frozen lakes.

I have also taken care of the rusting rear arches and had the wheels refurbed, also put the seats and carpets through a good steam clean..

Heard rumours that the steering rack can become worn..is this true?

Anything else you can think of that I have missed would be great..cheers

-Andy

Thought about heated washer jets so they still work when its freezing outside?

If youve got it that far apart, why not do a suspension refresh, with new shocks, springs, anti-roll bar(?) and all bushes changed and maybe uprated to polybushes?
Steering rack and steering column do wear and get play in them though - had mine done at about 110k miles so you might get away with not doing them for a while. Perhaps just take the parts with you? lol

williamsclio.co.uk/forum

steering rack can wear (play in the steering wheel)

But it sounds like you have done a good job. How much is the export costing if i may ask.

Williams 2, STi N12

Yeah, forgot to mention the suspension. Although I didnt want to change the ride height as most of the roads where I will be living are gravel aka 1000 Lakes Rally and didnt want the expense of fully adjustables..so got all new units from Renault, plus new bushes on wishbones from Powerflex.

Had to fit a electric heater to the engine block and cooling system to keep the pipes from freezing. It was -32C last time I was there in winter!!!

Will post pictures if I can be arsed later...

Ben...I did think about it but I had to return to the knowledge base which is Cliosport!! I have been told by the Finnish Renault Owners club that it is the only Williams in Finland - or will be.

Thanks for the advice guys, will change water pump and steering rack too.

Oh yeah, export isnt costing anything. Drive to Newcastle. Ferry overnight to Gothenburg, Sweden. Drive from Gothenburg to Stockholm (5 hrs). Overnight Ferry from Stockholm to Turku, Finland. Then about 3hrs drive on the other side. Simple...with my new studded tyres too!!