ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Windows 7 Pro £30 Student Deal

1.6 Ford Focus
Has anyone tried this?

I just applied for it and I am eligible for it and have already been sent the payment link... Unfortunately I don't actually have £30 to spare at the moment.

Just wondering if anyone else has tried it though. I have two computers I want to install it on and their website doesn't say anything about licenses so I have no idea if I can do this.

Here's the link to the £30 deal anyway if anyone wants to try it ;)
http://windows7.digitalriver.com/st...=n2yFXQoHAigAADpBbSQAAAAE&rests=1256233363924

I need to raise £30 haha.

Edit: My mistake, you can get the Home version for £30 and then upgrade to the pro version for another £30... still a lot better than buying it normally.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Hmm. Possibly ok. I've bought a few things previously that use the Digital River download engine. Worked ok for me, but it doesn't mean to say that the link is 100% legit.

Good price though. My copy of Home Premium didn't fecking turn up today. Cnuts.

D.

1.6 Ford Focus
Hmm. Possibly ok. I've bought a few things previously that use the Digital River download engine. Worked ok for me, but it doesn't mean to say that the link is 100% legit.

Good price though. My copy of Home Premium didn't fecking turn up today. Cnuts.

D.

I have never paid to download anything from microsoft, I think you have an option with this deal to do either a download or they actually post it.

Im running XP Pro at the moment, I never bothered to upgrade to Vista because of all the bad reviews about it...

Let us know how it goes with Home Premium, there's no reviews of it at the moment as far as I know.

:rasp:

Alex H

ClioSport Club Member
Most students, without knowing it, have access to Microsoft's MSDNAA licenced software, which is free for educational purposes.

Includes loads of useful software, Windows 7 Pro too. Contact your IT department.

Mk2 Golf GTI
I downloaded it via the student deal but cant get it to work.

Basically the digital river download manager downloads 3 files to the computer. An exe file, setup box 1 and setup box 2.

When i click the exe file it says "unpacking the box" and then gets about a third of the way through the process before a box comes up saying 'unexpected error'

Bit of a f**k up tbh! Am going to redownload it now but it's around 2.5gb so will take a while before i can retry.

I went for 32 bit. Is there much advantage to getting 64 bit? I know it didnt really take of with xp or even vista.

1.6 Ford Focus
Most students, without knowing it, have access to Microsoft's MSDNAA licenced software, which is free for educational purposes.

Includes loads of useful software, Windows 7 Pro too. Contact your IT department.

Didn't know that, I will look into it.

E87 118d M Sport
just checked for you, is 4gb of ram not 3gb. my bad.

supposidly it runs 10% faster too. but i dont know what applications it refers too?

1.6 Ford Focus
just checked for you, is 4gb of ram not 3gb. my bad.

supposidly it runs 10% faster too. but i dont know what applications it refers too?

Yep, 3GB is the maximum 32bit will run although it only uses 2.5GB of it... To be honest if you want a performance boost then just get 2x identical 1GB and run them duel channel. Just slot the RAM into slots a1 and b1 or a2 and b2 and assuming the motherboard can run duel channel it will give you up to 30% better performance.

It worked for me anyway... Im running a single core Pentium 4 3GHz processor on a ASUS P5QL-PRO motherboard, 2GB RAM with 4 fans and an Arctic Freezer Pro processes cooler. I can run games like Battlefield2 and Flight Simulator 2004 at full settings.

Back on topic, I would stick with 32bit in any case... as soon as you go 64bit you will start getting compatibility issues.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Yep, 3GB is the maximum 32bit will run although it only uses 2.5GB of it... To be honest if you want a performance boost then just get 2x identical 1GB and run them duel channel. Just slot the RAM into slots a1 and b1 or a2 and b2 and assuming the motherboard can run duel channel it will give you up to 30% better performance.

It worked for me anyway... Im running a single core Pentium 4 3GHz processor on a ASUS P5QL-PRO motherboard, 2GB RAM with 4 fans and an Arctic Freezer Pro processes cooler. I can run games like Battlefield2 and Flight Simulator 2004 at full settings.

Back on topic, I would stick with 32bit in any case... as soon as you go 64bit you will start getting compatibility issues.

You can use more like 3-3.5Gb really tbh not 2.5Gb.

http://blogs.msdn.com/hiltonl/archive/2007/04/13/the-3gb-not-4gb-ram-problem.aspx

Evo 8 MR
Just to put these uninformed people straight 64 bit works as good as 32 bit, I have 64 bit and I've not had any issues.

It's simple, if you have a 64 bit processor get 64 bit, if not, get 32.

1.6 Ford Focus
i got it for free from my uni :) and got a professional edition copy for £20 for the other comps. jobs a gooduuuuuuuuun

I will give that a try when I am back at college, I can't see that one working for me as we all use macs... they are always trying to sell us a 20" mac something or other.

CLIO Iceberg 172
i have done this and it is fully legit!! im downloading the windows 7 pro 64 bit right now, it downloads the same way as the release client via one of their download managers, iv been using this now for about 6 months, and it has so far been the best OS i have ever used and iv used them all.
its so stable and will run anything you throw at it and also if you have GFX cars in Xfire then this is the OS for you as it is so stable with it.
and also this student deal thing 150 quids worth of os of 30 that sits great with me

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Just to put these uninformed people straight 64 bit works as good as 32 bit, I have 64 bit and I've not had any issues.

It's simple, if you have a 64 bit processor get 64 bit, if not, get 32.

running 64 bit on mine but i.e 64 bit does'nt play vids ( you tube etc) says need a flash player but none out in 64 bit, any ideas??? plays fine in 32 bit i.e tho....

CLIO Iceberg 172
64bit dose play vids, it dose everything that 32bit dose, its just some programs require the 64bit version, but this is like autocad and special programs like that, verything else runs in native 32bit mode.
There have been no compatablity problems i have come across with it being 64bit mode

ValverInBits
can I ask:

Do I need a legit copy of vista to make these work as they are an upgrade?
Could it be done with a funny (as in not ha ha) copy of XP?
I'd be wanting the pro version probably.

E87 118d M Sport
wouldnt spend that much on it.
nothing to complain about reali.

does everything that vista should of, looks great.

there are always people that arent happy. you cant make a true judgement on something after 1 day

Civic Vtec y0
Quick question, where is the best place to get the Office 2007 student deal?

Might download 7 as well, for the sake of £30! Can you only run it on one computer?

ValverInBits
just found that oxford brookes students can get 7 pro 86 or 64bit for free using something called msdn academic alliance. winner.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
64bit dose play vids, it dose everything that 32bit dose, its just some programs require the 64bit version, but this is like autocad and special programs like that, verything else runs in native 32bit mode.
There have been no compatablity problems i have come across with it being 64bit mode

what do i download to get it working properly then as when trying to access vids on youtube, google, sky and here i get this message everytime:( as i said it works perfect in 32 bit mode tho...

Issue

Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.
Reason

Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

ValverInBits
^^ and that's not an upgrade copy either. Professional, install from format:cool:

what do i download to get it working properly then as when trying to access vids on youtube, google, sky and here i get this message everytime:( as i said it works perfect in 32 bit mode tho...

Issue

Adobe Flash Player is not supported for playback in a 64-bit browser. However, you can run Flash Player in a 32-bit browser running on a 64-bit operating system.
Reason

Adobe is working on Flash Player support for 64-bit platforms as part of our ongoing commitment to the cross-platform compatibility of Flash Player. We expect to provide native support for 64-bit platforms in an upcoming release of Flash Player following the release of Flash Player 10.1.

They have been saying that for FOOOKIN AGES! unbelievable

B

Brown.

got it, 30 quid with me s card :) loads better then xp:quiet:

.......Still not better then mac ;)

FF RB 182
which? magazine says not to buy it for at least a year as it will still be full of problems now

Audi TT
Still got my DMU email address from 1998! ha ha.

£30 for windows 7 and £38 for office 2007 ultimate. Bargain tastic!