ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Worst thing ever just happened

Some kind person please shed some light on why i cant get the ignition key out?

Basically stalled the car on a hill, went to try and turn the key and it wouldnt go round far enough to start the engine. So i turned it back the other way and it wont come out. All it will do is turn to accessory position.

I dont think i applied enough pressure to snap the key so all i can think has happened is that the tumbblers have collapsed and locked the key in place.

I managed to get a tow home from some kind bloke in a van with a trailor but i cant lock the car now.

Suggestions anyone? as the barrel alone is about £80 from renault if i need a new one

£80 from Ren but you can get them alot cheaper than that if you look around. Sounds like your barrel ahs seized which is a common problem with Ren locks. I have had quite a few Ren of all descriptions and they all have had lock problems.!

Quote: Originally posted by Mike Wright on 11 March 2003

£80 from Ren but you can get them alot cheaper than that if you look around. Sounds like your barrel ahs seized which is a common problem with Ren locks. I have had quite a few Ren of all descriptions and they all have had lock problems.!
Crisis over!!!!!!
My m8 is gonna do me a bespoke Start button install like in his calibra consisting of some security feature, unique credit card/hidden kill switch or micro switch triggered by third party implement i.e. unique size screw driver etc. Then a stainless start button on the dash.

All i need to do then is link up the central locking to a combined custom infra red/ultra sonic alarm remote control and i can hide my keys away in the house. This should cost me about£50 -100 depending on how complicated we make the system and our time to fit it.

Much better than having keys for the doors and new one for the ignition.

I had the same thing happen to my 1.4RT, had it towed to a local garage and ended up with a 2nd key:(, cant remember how much it cost.

Quote: Originally posted by Robby on 11 March 2003

blimey i thought from your thread title you found out youd caught a dose :D
Trust me an hour ago it was worse, we couldnt get the car off the wheel ramp thing no matter how mush we pushed it. after trying to tow it of buy linking my 2.0l cabriolet to the rear towing eye on the clio and pulling one way and the van pulling the other we still couldnt get the wheels out of the recess as the trailing section was on a tilt, i thought we were gonna rip my car in two. we ended up jacking the trailor section up level so we could then push the car back down the ramps.

What is that trailor thing called anyway that your front wheels drop in?
anyway its now on the drive and thanks to the lad who stopped and towed me home proof there are some samaritans knocking about.

My m8 is an electronics wiz/engineer so it was the most logical thing we could think of short of getting a new barrel,which would mean mutiple keys

Clio 200 FF

proper name for it is a "spectacle frame" also known as a "one man tow frame"

so not everyones like those on the ad when the van stops to see if the guy needs help "well join the aa then" :D

years ago i had a blow out, no spare either. pulled to the roadside and a car stopped with 2 girls in "hey" i thought, well the driver got out and said "you look harmless enough, im trying to find this place", eh she just wanted directions and buggered off leaving me there - glad i pointed in the wrong direction :devilish: