ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

WTF wrong with it now its gone and died

hey guys sorry to post another moaning post but i cant take this no more

:mad::sick:

as some may know my car booked in for a £200 job on wednesday just to get the speedo to work but now something much worse has happended

driving the car tonight, all of a sudden on decelerating without the break it starts to jerk with severe gear stick movement, and when accelerating the same thing happen, jerking and what seems like resistance to the drive of the car. whirring noise and jerking, right now i thinking FFS what wrong now

continue to drive till i get it home. get out and check and when not in gear, the engine revs freely and no noise or whirring

go out for a drive again the noises got worse. now theres cluck. clunk and aswell as whirring and resistance from what seems like gearbox area. this happens on gears changes and does not sound too good at all. when driving it goes cluc clunk ect ect and does not get quieter, this happens in each gear

does anyone know whats wrong. i suspect the box has died but hey it engages each gearl very smoothly still but the noises are unbearable to drive it anywhere esp the cluck clunk noises

im with the AA but will they toe me to a reno garage as the engine runs ect ect and kinda driveable

what else could it be

Clio 1.8 16v

u might of fractured the clutch mate mine did sum thin like this but only when i let the clutch up it juddered the car realy bad!!turned out sum 1 had not put the gear box in right sum thin about 3 bolts missing and the top location peg missing too.

d/shaft tripod bearing come off??

otherwise g/box issue.

Also consider you had work done to the speedo drive! this does seem a little coincidental!!!!!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8

to get the speedo drive thing replaced wouldnt they of had to take the box off??

if so sounds like they aint put it back together propper.

oh sounds bad tell me more about the driveshaft thing

the speedo drive aint been done yet its meant to be done on wednesday

they just put the new cable in but its not being driven yet and there nothing to drive it, the thing that drives it broke, that what needed replacing on wednesday

im confused, before gears are engaged the clutch pedal feels noraml with no resistance and the gearbox engages very smoothly still

im sooooooooooooooooo pissed with it, i wanna set fire to it, im really tempted

inner d/shaft has a tripod on the end with 3 roller bearings, sometimes if you lose one, it can feel like someone has replaced your perfectly good round wheels with a square ones! you get clunk clunk and what feels like the wheels are big time out of balance!

If the drive broke where did it go?????

the speed sensor is on the back of the speedo dial.........they would of had to repalce this...its affects fueling on overrun and delivers alls peed into to the ECU.....if it dont work the engine will run fine with no speed but crap lie yours when moving.

have a peek.

cant be the drivesahft then as it would still clunk all the time.

does the engine rev fine if its coasting in gear with teh cluch in?

on driving the cluk clunk noises have gone

on coasting in gear, the clunks have gone but the whirring grinding noise is well loud

out gear coasting still noise but only just can gear it

whats my car playing it

Sounds like the diff to me, from what you say in the first post. When mine went it had the same symptoms as youre describing. The juddering was the main problem. It just suddenly happened and would get worse the higher up the revs I went. I limped it home at about 2000rpm all the way and the garage I took it too confirmed it was a diff bearing. The damage also extended to the gearbox casing. Cost me about £450 to get fixed.

ben

when u say that is it better just to put new box in there??

will a box com with the speedo drive already or will be something i have to fix ontop of the price i pay for the box already

weight

how much for ya box then, what condition, what mileage it done

just got back

looked at by two people

both said it sounds expensive

anyway they sait its either box or diff so there goes another £400 pounds of my sh*t box

cheers for ya help