ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£1000 to throw at your 172 trackcar.

With a bonus at work this month im going to treat the tracktoy.

Atm its a standard 172 with camber bolts and shims.

I have some oz f1s coming and want some tyres for them, im thinking nankang ns2rs. But what size to use with my 15inch f1s. 195/50 ?

Also in my budget i would like a bucket seat and coilovers. Obviously ive not got alot to spend on coilovers so the cheaper the better, with the best performance as possible. I could go and chuck hundreds at coils, tyres and a seat and totally blow my budget but the car gets used once a month at the most so its not worth it for me.

If u had 1000 to spend what would u go for?

index.php

And i dont need to "save" for decent coilovers. I dont want to spend daft money on a car i use once a month. Hence the 1000 being a limit not my available bank balance.

Really? I though just get coils to sit it down abit and lower the cog/stiffen up the ride. It was like driving a boat last time out.

Clio 172 phase 1
600 on coilovers and 350 on tires at camskill ( plenty to choose from ) and then £50 having it camber and tracking done etc .... get some can get pretty tidy coilovers for 500-600 so adjust as needed then if money was left id buy some decent pads for under 100 id get ebc yellow stuff as i like them ....

Tyres i have prices are guna be about 280. So ill have atleast 600 to spend on coils. We do all our own alighnment at the track and are constantly checking at changing it.

Clio 172 phase 1
I'd do 600 on coils and then the leftover after tires I'd spend on brakes if you already haven't..... Seems u do track days I'll assume uve got brakes sorted .... What about an induction set up or something a bit more performance wise....

Clio 172
If I had £1000 to spend on my Clio, I probably wouldn't spend it on the Clio! :p

in all honesty though, new suspension, brakes, fluid tyres would all be on my list and a few small
cosmetic things to tidy the body up! :)

Jack

RB197
Suspension refresh from adam on here. whiteline rarb kamracing, ds2500 front pads HC discs braided lines, superblue fluid from g172 on here. Federeal 595rsr opeon tyres £244 delivered

Spend remaining on a trip to the ring

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Suspension refresh from adam on here. whiteline rarb kamracing, ds2500 front pads HC discs braided lines, superblue fluid from g172 on here. Federeal 595rsr opeon tyres £244 delivered

Spend remaining on a trip to the ring
He's already said his brakes are sorted and he doesn't want a RARB..

Why do people not read s**t before the post

RB197

Didn't realise I was on the VXR forum.

He also said "what would u go for?"

I'm not telling him to go for that stuff, I'm saying that's what I'd go for.

SQ5
I'd be buying some grippy tyres and a few trackdays.

Or is it a typical CS track car which gets tracked once or twice?

Nissan 350z

Where does he say brakes are sorted? All I can see is OP mentions having "decent fluid etc".

My money would go on stopping power as well tbh.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
If you want to be pedantic then he says decent fluid 'etc'! But anyways the convo is over so carry on with your suggestions ;)

It will do atleast 1/2 trackdays a month. Its never used on the road.

My mates run in the civic cup and i take the clio to there test days which are quite regular. Cheers for the tips lads. Tyres and coils atm then ill upgrade as i need

Listerine & Poledo
Mk1 MX5, a service and a new set of discs, pads and tyres.

Rear drive, no traction control. You'll learn a lot about yourself the first time you're pointing the wrong way out of paddock hill bend.

£350 on some R888s.

£130 on some cook sport springs + new cup shocks whatever they cost. (will handle better than cheap coilovers)

The rest on the pure motorsport top mount and brace.

Anything left will be little bits.

Or....

£350 on tyres, £650 on decent coilovers and do the GEO yourself.

888s are around 110 each arent they?

There was a thread on here a while back with a link to them for £87 each. So I bought some. Probably 2-3 months back.

Since then someone else found them even cheaper from another site, I remember specifically because I thought I had got mine cheap until I saw this post. Didn't pursue the new link though obviously, so I don't have a clue where it was from I'm afraid.

Bit of searching and you should be able to find it though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Quaiffe diff, although will need a stretch of the budget for a box rebuild if you cant or dont fancy doing it.

LY 182
Them New Gazcoilovers at £475 seem a great deal, coilover units all round, no seperate spring/shock spend the rest on tyres and tracking/camber/corner weighting

Inferno 225 cup
Quaiffe diff, although will need a stretch of the budget for a box rebuild if you cant or dont fancy doing it.

Box build is only £275 at agency all in, so not that bad.

It's hard explain reason for someone to spend £1k on one thing though chip, even if it would be the 'best' mod for a track car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Box build is only £275 at agency all in, so not that bad.

It's hard explain reason for someone to spend £1k on one thing though chip, even if it would be the 'best' mod for a track car.

Last Quaiffe I had fitted complete with a box build by agency was far less than that, Ive had a few boxes done by them and its varied in price based on condition.

Good thing is, it really holds its value.

Ok you will probably spend 1300 and it only be worth 900-1000 but thats still a pretty good return overall, and it lasts basically forever unlike expensive tyres etc.

Inferno 225 cup
Last Quaiffe I had fitted complete with a box build by agency was far less than that, Ive had a few boxes done by them and its varied in price based on condition.

Good thing is, it really holds its value.

Ok you will probably spend 1300 and it only be worth 900-1000 but thats still a pretty good return overall, and it lasts basically forever unlike expensive tyres etc.

Exactly i mention the gripper but they need servicing every 15-18 months which I still don't think its that bad, probably wouldn't need doing dependant on the millage and use.

I was completely won over and glad I did it, but then I sold :(

Silly silly boy.

Renault Clio 172 cup
£350 on some R888s.

£130 on some cook sport springs + new cup shocks whatever they cost. (will handle better than cheap coilovers)

The rest on the pure motorsport top mount and brace.

Anything left will be little bits.

Or....

£350 on tyres, £650 on decent coilovers and do the GEO yourself.

IMO this was the answer I'd agree with the most out of all the others. The first bit anyway. These mods will make a noticable difference.
But if you want to spend some money I've got a really decent bolt in half cage you can have for 200 quid.

Listened to your wise words and gone against the idea of cheap coilovers. So im about to order some cooksport springs to try.

Now need to find some 15s as the guy with the oz f1s has messed me around.