ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£200

MK3 GTI golf 16v
you dont need an 1800 watt sub. iv heard 800 watt subs which sounds outstanding. the key is to get good quality sub and amp and wiring etc. id look at at lower watt sub thats better quality and get a decent amp to match, but for £200 yeah you could get a pretty good deal, provided you dont need a headunit? have a look on that site, the good stuff will have loads of good reviews on it

a black one
i got a 200 quid alpine HU but yeah, so a 800w sub and amp could be louder and better than an 1800?:)

MK3 GTI golf 16v
well say a good quality 1000 watt sub and good quality amp and wiring to match would be a lot better than an 1800watt sub and a crap amp etc. you'd probably need an expensive amp to run that sub well.

i cant remember which one, but one of the pioneer subs on that site is one of the best rated on most websites and its about £110 with the box. just need to find a good amp to match it then. but £200 is plenty to get a decent set up mate :)

have a look at the deals they do ( amp + sub + box + wires ) cus some of the ones you can find online are pretty damn good

a black one
try and find that pioneer for me mate haha does the amp need to be more powerful than the sub?

In regards to the "fake watts". The numbers your mate has given you will be the peak wattage. The RMS will be at best half of that.

I have a 600w RMS system and that is plenty loud for music. You have to remember it's a clio and parts fall off without a sub.

It all depends what you want as to how much power. Do you want a good listening environment or to set off car alarms as you drive past?

setting off car alarms.

In that case, this should suffice:

Framing_hammer.jpg

Clio 1.2
i had a 1000watt sub powered by a 480 watt amp in my old car sounded great should have it back in the clio soon

corsa ecoflex
Ive never understood the sub and amp thing...why the hell would you wanna make your ears bleed whilst driving,one of my hates in when im sitting in traffic and all i can here is some chav listening to his stereo with crap music blaring..no doubt shirtless and with a pitbull sat on the passenger seat

Listerine & Poledo
love it.

That's how they attract the honiz?

In defence, I have a little active sub tube but make sure its turned right down if I'm not on open roads.

clio 172 ph2
Ive never understood the sub and amp thing...why the hell would you wanna make your ears bleed whilst driving,one of my hates in when im sitting in traffic and all i can here is some chav listening to his stereo with crap music blaring..no doubt shirtless and with a pitbull sat on the passenger seat

get with the times lol!! :rasp:

Clio 172
must av been an expensive sub to be running that sort of power. 900 rms is high. Gonna need a big power amp to get the best out of it

Ph1 - 172
The In-Phase 900w RMS subs are actually rated at around 4-500. Total lies from a company that is a shocking excuse of an audio dealer. We only sell them as there is a demand, we do try and persuade people not to waste there money though.

Do not just look for wattage and power. I had a Cerwin Vega 15" sub in for a few weeks, only 200w RMS but it was brilliant! Its is super efficient and really good SQL for a 15.

With a £200 budget youre never going to get something mental, if you were buying for off the shelf stuff and want purely bass and loudness id look at the Rockford Fosgate Punch packs. You can normally pick them up for less than £200 and they are normally better than most of the fli, edge, vibe, fusion crap that halfords sell.

Polo + Micra
amp usually best at half the power of your sub. u dont want to blow-up the sub with too much power

no you'll just cook the voice coil by having the amp clipping it's tits off

the amp should always have a higher output than the speakers rating ideally at leat 20% more

Ph1 - 172
Clipping isnt caused by the power of the amp, it is mainly down to the input sensitivity.

You can use a 1w amp on a 1000w sub, its the Voltage levels that you need to get right.

Polo + Micra
but what output would you get from the sub? not alot

so people who don't really know how to set up Car audio will whack the gain up to get more out of the amp

Ph1 - 172
true true, you make a fair point my friend :)

It is a problem we face everyday, you would be shocked at the amount of fried voice coil and melted amps we deal with.

However an under powered amp does not necessarily mean poor performance, my current set up is half powered that im testing and it is very good indeed. People will always want more after a little while and 9/10 people will use the "volume control" on the amp.

true true, you make a fair point my friend :)

It is a problem we face everyday, you would be shocked at the amount of fried voice coil and melted amps we deal with.

However an under powered amp does not necessarily mean poor performance, my current set up is half powered that im testing and it is very good indeed. People will always want more after a little while and 9/10 people will use the "volume control" on the amp.

More money than sense! :L

I havn't touched my amp gain controls since I set it up.

Ph1 - 172
More money than sense! :L

I havn't touched my amp gain controls since I set it up.

I work for a car audio company, it aint my gear thats getting burnt out. Time and time again we tell customers not to put the gain up, its not volume. They never listen! :dapprove: