ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£300 ONE SEVEN TWO TRACK CAR

Clio 172
I work for a car dealership, and my first car was a full 172 replica everything apart from the engine, majority of it I completed, Always wanted to fit a 172 lump in it, but didn't want to void insurance. After some T&#T! crashed into the back of it at work. It got written off by the company. And I got a 58 plate Renault Clio Extreme Sport another 1.2 with real low mileage, a limited edition run between renault and wolfrace, it was a normal car. but didn't feel it at all, the interior was completely made out of plastic, there was a lot of body roll and overall we never got on. By now I was 19 and my insurance dropped so I brought a 2006 BMW 318CI M Sport Coupe, being one of the last ones made in the old shape it had all the bits chucked at it. Having worked at the car dealership for a longtime one of the salesmen told me a sport was coming in having been talking about it since i was 17 and had my first clio. anyway to cut a long story short. I ended up getting a 2002 Silver Renault Clio Sport for £300! done 110k, completely HPI clear, MOT & Taxed done 110k Full Service History Belts done 20k ago only problem being a few lights on the dash and some slight hail damage on the bonnet and roof that will pull out and a cracked screen.

IMG_37721_zps9a882e5e.jpg

IMG_38441_zpsd66c4776.jpg

Apologies but the pics are Iphone pictures and were taken in a rush will take some proper photos when I get time and keep this thread picture heavy.
So I started Stripping. It's surprising how much some of the stuff weights especially the carpets.

IMG_38481_zpsdfd139ed.jpg

IMG_38661_zps1b83748e.jpg

IMG_38671_zps0237702b.jpg

IMG_38681_zps5a542a21.jpg

IMG_38711_zps4e9ac74b.jpg

IMG_38721_zps6450ac9e.jpg

IMG_38731_zps987cd809.jpg

Done in about 3 hours just very minor bits now to strip and the dreaded tar anybody got any tips? but it's really begging a cage! And I'm now obsessed with weight saving!

To Do List: (In no order)
Finish Stripping.
Coilovers
Complete Brake Setup.
Yozza Exhaust
Decat
4-2-1 Manifold
Speedline 2118's
Toyo R888's
Sabelt steering wheel.
Bride Seats.
Takata Harnesses
Roll Cage.
Uprated Engine Mounts.

I think I'v missed a few bits as I'v got bored of making this thread already.

I want a very good base then hopefully overhaul the engine and get some big power increases with some boost. Steady updates as busy with work commitments but some major updates will follow!

Last edited:
  RS200 & PH2 172
Looks like an excellent project and a bargain car :) look forward to seeing this progress, where abouts are ya based?

Clio 172
Looks like the heat gun will be out on Thursday, not looking forward to it can't wait till all the prep work has been done so I can start bolting on bits! I'm based In Nuneaton, West Midlands but thanks guise.

Clio 172
Double Post but quick update finished stripping my old 1.2 clio 172 replica for spares and she shall be getting scrapped tomorrow possibly, Got two strut braces coming tomorrow, got my OMP steering wheel and boss today, Cobra seats which were lying around in the garage to be fitted. I need some decent coilovers and a good brake set up urgently as priority. Any one recommend anything?

Clio 172
Updates are slow just gathering parts then updates will be very quick indeed! Got some strut braces, Mocal Oil Cooler, Racing Condenser, AST top mounts And more things arriving shortly Just looking for some cheap coilovers if anybody has any? Also got a big brake set up which should be innovative.

Clio 172
three f**king hundred quid?

£295 Actually, but nobody had a fiver change not it makes a difference.

Haven't actually update the thread but have done a few things, the car is pretty much stripped interior wise, just have a lot of tar to remove and tidying everything up etc.
Have a very strange suspension set up which I have conjured up. On the fronts its Raceland Coilovers, Rear it's Spax shocks and 60mm lowering springs. AST top mounts have also been fitted. Got a pair of cobra seats free! not the best but I can't complain, fitted a 15 row Mocal oil cooler and a D1 Spec Racing condenser for better earthing, made a front splitter also which I got the idea from somebody on here with hdpe plastic, and got many more parts and things to do just need to find the time, pictures to follow when I have time.

330i. E30 Touring.
Racelands aren't amazing on track really. Bit too soft.

Other than that, bloody bargain!

Bargain!! Echo the above really, Raceland are just for looks and wont be anywhere near up to track standards.
If you want coilovers there is a lot to choose from, but going to springs eg cooksports with cup shocks is a good setup from what I've read across this site.

Put that with a Whiteline Rear ARB and uprated engine/gearbox mounts it'll be a cracking "budget" trackcar if that is what you're looking for. :)

Clio 172
The racelands were £45 posted so where always worth a try was never expecting much for that price will definitely get some newer ones they were always brought as a spare , I'll also update this thread with everything I'v brought and how much I'v paid so people get an idea of how much certain things cost.

Lotus Elise
The racelands were £45 posted so where always worth a try was never expecting much for that price will definitely get some newer ones they were always brought as a spare , I'll also update this thread with everything I'v brought and how much I'v paid so people get an idea of how much certain things cost.

New Renault springs and dampers are much better than racelands in every sense of the word.

Trust me. For 300 I'd put some new dampers OEM good springs, whiteline ARB and some decent pads in it. Go have some fun and decide what you think you need. Some great budget fun to be had like that.