ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

£70

Stripped yozza'd cup
I'm pretty sure my fuel guage just guesses.... and my trip doesn't work because I've been super lazy and haven't changed my speedo sensor yet. I'm getting 0.3mpg apparently

this is a reason why i no longer have a car... and my car next will be a VW bluemotion of some sort

If I had a big commute, I'd probably do the same.

But I'd go from 2 tanks a month in the 172, to 1 tank in some slow, boggo spec, can't over take or have any fun in it, Polo.

Not worth the fun/speed loss.

I fill to the brim with the good stuff once a week. Never quite empty (needle at or near the bottom of gauge but mine has never seen the petrol light in the 3 months I've had it). Would feel depressed if it was 70 quid in one go!!

Averaging £56 a week at £1.35/l atm

Nothing at the mo :(

But I'd go from 2 tanks a month in the 172, to 1 tank in some slow, boggo spec, can't over take or have any fun in it, Polo.

Nope i agree, But by the time i move il hopefully be a few miles away from work *30 tops* because my area is a shithole lol

Suzuki Jimny
You can't be filling that from empty then!

They're a 50L tank, and the average petrol price for regular unleaded is about 130p (50x130=£65). 98 RON is even more expensive, so would be at least £70....

I've never had the fuel light come on so I must have loads of fuel left then. Just found this picture from a couple of months ago (Hence the cheap V-power)

ed8c353c.jpg

Suzuki Jimny
Today I worked out that buying a Jaguar XJ8 would only cost me another £80 per month on petrol. That's the best bit of fuel prices, V8's are coming down in price. :D

Last edited:
Ouch! It only costs me £55 from almost empty... But I rarely fill up all the way. If you only do half or even a third you save on a lot of weight and reduce your consumption :D

But do the extra trips to the petrol station offset the saving? (Unless it's en route of course)

Not trying to be argumentative but I could never honestly justify mapping for 95ron.

Not sure if my maths is up to this but here goes (*puts on flame suit and awaits correction :rasp:)

Just for an example 98 is approx 0.05/L more than 95…and lets assume an average mapping session costs £200 (no idea if this is correct price for a 95 ron map? If it is as simple as a few clicks might only set you back 50 quids labour?! Also this is for us average people who can’t map themselves or have no access to RS tuner).

Therefore you would have to buy 4000 litres before you had saved £200 to cover the cost of the map. (Is that correct?)

4000 litres is 879 gallons, and at ~30 mpg that gets you 26370 miles.

So you’d have to drive 26k for a 95ron map to pay for itself. And potentially see worse MPG and performance along the way.

Last edited:
  Ph1 Clio 172, VX220

You can get fast efficient diesels though. I had a remapped 120d with somewhere around the 200bhp mark and it never did less than 52 mpg, up to 60. It was fast but still wasn't as fun as good petrol engine, it made up for that partly with sideways action on tap though!!!

My Clio does 36-40mpg and have found the gauge to be spot on.

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
V power seems best of what I've tried, could never understand 97 ron bp stuff the price is so over inflated - why?!

Looking for 182
98 RON really isn't much more expensive than 95 RON, so it seems pointless running anything less than what is recommended.

Not a 320d
I run my GT on rich mans fuel.

Gets rid of the kangarooing problem.

Also feels better and makes my gutless engine produce a total of 1 lb/ft over the standard 0 lb/ft.

BMW F21 125d
How anyone actually gets 50L in a 182 is beyond me, when the "----" occur, i thought you had 1 gallon left, I've done 30 miles beyond that and only managed to get 48L in, thats with multiple clicks to round it up to a decent number too!

Ph1 Clio 172, VX220
Mine runs ok on 95 ron, can't really tell the difference - it should have knock sensors to r****d ignition accordingly anyway? CR of 11:1 should be ok for 95 anyway, golf gti's etc have a high CR and turbo boost to contend with and they can run on 95, so unless you've got a higher than standard CR it should be ok on 95, might lose a bit of top end power like.