ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

'03 172 Cup

Ph2 172
Few bits on my cup hasn't quite had the time or effort I want spent on it that I'd hoped yet but will being getting stuck into over the next few weeks with the better nights coming in.

Wondered if anyone on here knows the car as it was imported to NI.

Has a fairly decent spec with group n ktec ecu, stealth with sport cat, ph1 interior fitted and I have waiting for it new springs & ph1 gear knob. Also picking up this week from a breaker to freshener up the car, set of refurbed lights wing mirrors and backing plates interior door handles and dash strips, scuttle panel with wipers front and rear. Car is no show queen but mechanically sound and a general tidy up will have it sitting well enough for me.

Few pics

First from dealers ad
1_86.jpg

121.jpg

Then it's first clean in my ownership, it has had vinyl stripes at some stage fitted which have left dark paint stripes on the bonnet. I tried in vain to mask but they with need someone to machine with greater skill than me.

20160227_132558.jpg

All finished

20160229_173440.jpg

And finally my motivation of how id like it finished

FB_IMG_1456606095648.jpg

So plan of action is,

*lowered
*ph1 shifter painted and fitted along with dash trims to match
*wheels and calipers refurbed
*custom intake pipe work to replace horrible on jobbie
*wrinkle paint intake manifold mounts etc.....

Then Enjoy it

Ph2 172
Yeah Dr Jekyll did you not post one I your ph1 thread that was similar to a main dealer model but fraction of cost ? Using seperate parts bought from the bay ?

Thanks @Alastair. nit as clean as yours but will certainly move in the right direction.

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
When you say main dealer, you on about ktec?

If so then yes. If not, then I'm still confused! Lol

Nice to see that it's come in handy with the pics/parts. They sound awesome and look neat too. In fact I'm going to be buying another clio soon once my car is sold (might even be a cup ;)) and I've bought parts of the induction kit already and I don't even have the car yet! Lol

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
Yeah Dr Jekyll did you not post one I your ph1 thread that was similar to a main dealer model but fraction of cost ? Using seperate parts bought from the bay ?

Thanks @Alastair. nit as clean as yours but will certainly move in the right direction.

Labour of love, just do bits at a time. I've made a list of things that need freshening up or replacing, I'm just going to take my time as I'm in no rush. :)

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
When you say main dealer, you on about ktec?

If so then yes. If not, then I'm still confused! Lol

Nice to see that it's come in handy with the pics/parts. They sound awesome and look neat too. In fact I'm going to be buying another clio soon once my car is sold (might even be a cup :wink:) and I've bought parts of the induction kit already and I don't even have the car yet! Lol

Get a Cup, there doesn't seem to be many about anymore.

Alastair.

ClioSport Club Member
  986'S 172ph1+182FF
That was lovely, I looked at a few ph1 before I got the cup and they were all a wreck :(

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
Thank you :smile:

Yeah that kit is great. Looks smart and much cheaper than Ktec's version. It's more expensive than the cheaper way using the existing induction bend but this way looks a lot better I think. Have a look in the next few pages as I've linked a breather filter too. The setup is slightly different on a ph1 but the filter is still the same. (15mm I believe but as I said, check on the next couple of pages to make sure)

You can fit the breathe filter to the back of your inlet with the standard pipe. I just cut it down slightly (5" or so total length) and plugged the breather filter in. Obviously adding a jubilee clip.

Have a look in the "show me your engine bay" thread as there's plenty of pics in there :smile:

Ph2 172
Cheers mark about time I got round to it, just been lazy and busy with projects at work.

Have a stack of parts on they way from a breaker, replacing the wiper mechanism front a rear as they are noisey, the half circle trim on the rear is faded beyond repair. Scuttle panel on front to tidy it up, interior handles with switches as my electric mirrors don't work and it's not the fuse. Dash strips and the interior light along with two freshly refurbed headlights.

That along with pulling out the interior to deep clean and paint the seat rails, refit carpet were it has bunched up and make sure all drain plugs are clear should make use of the light nights coming in.

Ph2 172
Well been busy gathering up odds and ends for the car, making choice mods and watching eBay like a hawk. Lost so far goes:

1. Apex springs from Clio sport forum (not best ride quality but it's not a daily).
2. Ph1 shifter.
3. Breaker lights, already been buffed but I think I'll compound them further, mirrors also purely for electrics and black trim as mine is tired as fook looking.
4. New interior split light
5. Interior pull handles with switch gear (hopefully fix my power mirrors)
6. Some fake carbon trim
7. Fiat mist washer jets
8. New thumb grips - temp fix until a momo and boss comes up.
9. Wiper mechanisms front and rear as mine are noisey at front and can cover is cracked.
10. Scuttle panel to re die and the half circle trim from rear again to re die.

Need to service it as well for piece of mind, what oil does everyone recommend ?

so that's this months activity sorted, hope the bright sunny nights continue.

20160401_193056.jpg

image.jpg

Ph2 172
Took some time to work at a few bits of the Clio today, so far this month I fitted the apex springs which has nicely sorted the ride height issues and at the same time fitted a ph1 shifter.
20160418_172456.jpg

I also picked up some carbon style trim finished with gloss lacquer from cliosport, which I feel helps the interior as the standard trim on the cup matches the door strips in a matt finish which now looks tired imo.
20160424_183209.jpg

I picked up some parts from a Clio that was breaking to fix some niggles first of was that the adjuster for the mirrors didn't work took the handle off and found the plug was disconnected but no luck when fitted they still didn't work so swapped out the adjuster switch and voila no more greasy finger prints on the glass to adjust their position.
20160424_150630.jpg

The passenger handle was also scored and rough so swapped it for a smoother unit that after a dressing cleaned up well, swapped over the airbag switch from the old handle as it was faded on the breaker. Pic of before swapping and cleaning
20160424_151250.jpg

My wing mirror mounts were faded and tired and the dealer had covered it in some stinking dressing that was greasy and no matter what I did it wouldn't scrub off.
Breaker mirrors needed a scrub down and were the wrong colour so I swapped the mirror caps over. Pic is of one scrubbed down and dressed.
20160424_152057.jpg

Took the opportunity to clean behind the mirror as it was filthy
20160424_152752.jpg

Quick drop of Apc shifted it
20160424_152841.jpg

The interior light had also been a bug bear as it had fallen out and wouldnt stay in place so fitted a map light and swapped out the bulbs while I was at it.
20160424_151108.jpg

My headlights are cloudy and scored so again from the breaker car, headlights got a quick polish and then sealed with jet seal, also all new upgraded bulbs fitted bar chrome indicators which I will swap out of the set on the car.
20160424_155309.jpg

Comparison on the car, I think they should make a big difference
20160424_155139.jpg

Not sure if posted this before but fitted an led number plate light along with new lense some contrast to the old unit
20160424_181559.jpg

While scoring eBay I found a set of replacement grips for the wheel for 6.99 so ordered them up on the off chance they would be ok and they are great for the money, so I set about cutting off what was left of the old grips from the wheel and they were then glued into place. Comparison pic
20160424_181635.jpg

And one off them on and all finished
20160424_182658.jpg

Also took the chance to give the car a quick wipe over with some wax I had, I bought I mystery box ages ago and as part of it received a bottle of britemax max shine,
20160424_183628.jpg

Easy on and off and left nice and glossy, not sure what its durability will be like but will update.
20160424_183537.jpg

Leaves the wheels needing refurbed along with calipers, calipers are bright red and they are cracked and worn showing the yellow they previously were beneath. Plan is silver, keeping them plain and clean. Also have a set of mist washer jets to fit which I completely forgot about today.

Front sport grill and lower grill need painted they are faded and upper grill is nearly grey as you can see in the headlight comparison pic, going satin black.

Car will probably be for sale in the next couple of weeks as I'm going to be buying a bike for the weekends instead so if anyone is interested drop me a pm. I'll still be working away at it in the mean time and it'll be a fresher car when time to sell comes than when I first bought it. Cars located in NI