ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1*2 Turbo Conversion Help

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
By all means give me a call tomorrow and I can run through everything you will need.

Don't worry you don't need to buy it from us but I will be happy to give you some guidance.

David.

SchwepTek™
Brilliant thanks very much David. Ive just been looking over your site for bits anyway.

Also spoke to you about an exhaust last week which i need to sort out on payday!

Lionel Richie
no need for stand alone, speak to RS tuning and TDF if you want to use stock ecu

injectors - Megane RS 225/230

Intercooler and pipes - anyone, loads of fabrication companies about

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
What to choose really comes down on what sort of power you want? are you looking at replicating Ktecs low pressure kit? or was the advertised power figure based on a low compression engine?

I've had a look at the photos and am not convinced it is actually a ktec setup (maybe David could confirm this) also the ad sounds a bit suspicious as he says he's had it running at 245bhp? wheres the intercooler and pipework he used to achieve it?

Besides that, the advice above is pretty spot on,

3 bar map sensor (will give scope for higher boost etc... in the future)
A decent air filter. (suitable for the BHP your after)
A decent intercooler (forge etc..)
Intercooler pipework (to save the ball ache of cutting stainless and spending a fortune on silicone hoses I'd just buy ktecs new set up. I'm sure David will do you a good deal)
Meg 225 injectors. (unless looking at 300+ then get some 550cc+)
Map (Paul@Rstuning has done a few of these so should be able to do a decent cal)

Other things I would recomend are:
retro fitting a Ph1 fuel rail, lines and sender/pump unit.
Uprated fuel pump (essential if going high boost).
Boost controller.
2.5" exhaust.

One bit of advice I can give you is if you have the slightest incline that it'll end up a 300bhp high pressure set up then, buy components that will run that much power as theres nothing worse than having to buy things twice.

Steve

K-Tec Racing

ClioSport Trader
  172LBT-172HBT-197-R2
Ok, well looking at the pictures I believe it is a BB Tuning/Engine Dynamics kit. It has a very different downpipe to ours as well as the outlet on the turbine housing. We have also had a car in recently with one of these fitted and the turbo was not the best spec and had a convensional thrust bearing set up.

As Steve also hints at I would be surprised it did 245bhp, however the car we had in had apparently been tested at 297bhp and on our dyno it made 216bhp!

Steve has given a very good list above and if you need any more iifo or help just give me a bell.

David.

172Tb'd, Z4 35idrive
Im not looking for High pressure, would be looking for a low pressure setup. I never believe people telling me what their car runs at on ebay!

The kit i have got so far is the turbo, manifold, and down pipe, have looked into and will be getting today, Meg 225 injectors and intercooler, what is the size of the intercooler i would need? I know its alot smaller but im worried about how narrow it needs to be?

Would i need an uprated fuel pump? or is that only need for the high pressure?

The turbo if it is a Garret Gt25 is only rated to about 250-270 BHP so i would doubt the car would be doing 247BHP.

Thanks alot for good replies, Has helped me alot

SchwepTek™
As Ed says, some great replies in here. Thanks very much gents.

We've never done anything like before but fancy having a go ourselves so aren't really that bothered by HP output.

Trophy,R26,GSXR1000
It really isnt that difficult to install, your biggest issue will be removing the sump to have it tapped for an oil return. Apart from that everything else is a bolt on job.

Personally (and you won't like this) I'm with David and think the turbo will be the biggest stumbling block, it'll probably be brutally responsive low down then gutless in the higher RPM range. What sort of info is on it? I can see .42 on the comp housing but and info on the turbine housing?

You could try Scotty2hotty81 on here as he bought my old kit and he's not using the intercooler so you might be able to get it for a reasonable price. Therse apic in the thread below to give you a rough idea of size.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?481790-Ktec-low-pressure-turbo-kit-%A31800&highlight=

Any questions just post them up here as it might be usefull for others looking at the same route :)

172Tb'd, Z4 35idrive
Right, i have got all the parts near enough, just deciding on whether to put in a paddle clutch or whether just an uprated or standard clutch would be good enough for the conversion? Only looking for 220/230 bhp. Also with engine mounts, have heard that uprating to powerflex bushes does a good enough job, ratehr than forking out hundreds for uprated mounts? What you think?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
bhp counts for next to nothing when specing a clutch, yes get atleast an uprated one, maybe a 6 puck ceremetalic with a sprung center if you want to put something in that will take a little more abuse if you want more power a little later on

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
hmmm, does anyone sell a single flywheel setup for it, gsf or? if they switch it back to a 215mm clutch one thats good for the meggy would be an uprated one for the clio, same as the old volvo "uprated" r5 gtt clutch's that are sold by tuners

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
saying that the last clutch i built fopr the clio had a volvo turbo coverplate, volvo release bearing and a helix volvo 6 puck in, couldnt get it to slip with itbs on, and i did try, full throttle lauches ftw

RSTuning

ClioSport Club Member
  R35 GTR
Megane clutch is 240mm with a 60-2 like the clio but the TDC sensor is in a different position