ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 dCi - get rid of that smoke!

Clio 1.5 dCi / Audi
Hello anyone with a 1.5 dCI. Since buying mine a couple of weeks ago, I've read hundreds of posts about how to stop smoking and get the dCi going again. Know what I mean?
My regular mechanic - Peter - and I have been wrestling with how to fix what seems to be a common problem of the 1.5 dCi; effectively over-fuelling which causes engine pinking; loads of black smoke; poor performance; and bad starting when warm. Most people seem to go straight to the EGR and de-coke it, then wonder why there's little improvement.:dapprove:

WELL - we've now fixed my motor and it's running sweet as a nut (300 mls since the 'fix'). Guess what Peter did - he changed the brake pedal stop light switch!!!!! Honestly - a tenner. Must have wasted more than that in unburnt diesel in one day, before. So how does that work then? I really don't know, but I'm sure there might be other dCi'ers desperate to try this and I sincerely hope you're cured. Best of luck.:cheers:

Its not exactly a common issue though brake pedal being stuck.

Well done fixing the issue though didn't you notice the brakes sticking a bit?

Clio 1.5 dCi / Audi
sorry edde, you've missed the point. There was nothing wrong with the brakes. Just the pedal switch sending some message which interfered with the engine management, causing over-fuelling! If I didn't trust my mechanic as I do, I wouldn't have believed this. Now done 600 miles since the fix - bliss! OK, maybe a 1.5 cDi doesn't qualify for ClioSport status, but as I'd seen some of the 'more intelligent' posts on this problem in this forum, I thought I'd tell my story here. By the way, the brakes are damn good.

sorry edde, you've missed the point. There was nothing wrong with the brakes. Just the pedal switch sending some message which interfered with the engine management, causing over-fuelling! If I didn't trust my mechanic as I do, I wouldn't have believed this. Now done 600 miles since the fix - bliss! OK, maybe a 1.5 cDi doesn't qualify for ClioSport status, but as I'd seen some of the 'more intelligent' posts on this problem in this forum, I thought I'd tell my story here. By the way, the brakes are damn good.
Dci's quality more than enough driven well they'll beat a sport model and doing twice the mpg.

Brakes are super they were used on the Williams which has 150 brake so they were well over speced for the car.

Sorry if I came accross sarcastically.

Faulty/different/replacement/poorly-programmed sensors can (and do) send messages around the can bus which can (and do) conflict with other messages and mess things up for the ECU, but this is usually such a fundamental issue that it's fixed in development and is resolved way before production.

Glad you've solved the problem and it's something for others to try when they're stuck!

1.5 dci - 1.2 Campus
Hello, the same thing happened to my dci 1.5. The brake light stopped working, I changed the switch and the exhaust started to smoke.
I thought it was just a coincidence. I suppose we just don't buy an after market switch and only go for the genuine Renault job.