ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

1.5 dci

mk5 VDUB polo
what do you guys think of these.

can get one quite cheap from a friend and its my first car................but i just dont want a diesel

are they good or not?

UR 197, AB 182 FF
My MK3 is a 1.5DCI. I assume yours is the 80bhp model as opposed to the newer which are 86.

They are quick for a diesel and very economical. On the days where I dont drive with a lead foot I can get up to 70mpg - but day to day I still get over 50.

Have a test drive, I think you'll be surprised.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
i use my gfs 1.5 65bhp as a daily drive, its done 17k and has been mechanically faultless. Its nothing to get excited about, but when pushed from the start and keeping the revs high through gear changes can be pretty 'quick' considering, ours has started returning 60mpg on average, it used to be 50mpg.

Clio 1.216v Dynamique said:
I heard performance is like trying to get blood out of a stone with them, not bad though if your not arsed about it
Dead easy compaired to a 1.2/1.41.6 or 2.0 petrol as its got a turbo and its diesel.

£600 on a 65hp model would get you about 110hp. You'd end up having to detune the torque as the clutch coundn't take the torque at the low end.

Tunning the petrol and disels isn't value for money though. However try getting 30% more power out of a 172 for £500 and get a full warently with it.

They don't sound like tractors when there going when they idle its a disel but I find it quieter than a petrol 1.2 at speed.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
I have a SS replacement exhaust on mine, gave me 5mpg more at motorway speed and a horrible thundering sound:dead:

And lol at the blood out of the stone comment from the 1.2 driver...

As a first car, you could easily do a lot worse. Cheap to run which is important, and providing nothing goes wrong, which touch wood nothing for me so far after 7k miles (apart from 2 blown tyres and a failing to start syndrome) and edde's is still going strong.

cliokhunt said:
I have a SS replacement exhaust on mine, gave me 5mpg more at motorway speed and a horrible thundering sound:dead:

And lol at the blood out of the stone comment from the 1.2 driver...

As a first car, you could easily do a lot worse. Cheap to run which is important, and providing nothing goes wrong, which touch wood nothing for me so far after 7k miles (apart from 2 blown tyres and a failing to start syndrome) and edde's is still going strong.
The extra MPG was probaly down to your driving as it won't give any efficience or Hp gains.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Well I can't comment on bhp, although I do think it is a bit stronger mid gear.

But the mpg figure is fact. Flat out in both instances, stock exhaust gave 39mpg and SS with larger bore gave 44mpg. Nicely kept diesel secret is that one ;)

cliokhunt said:
Well I can't comment on bhp, although I do think it is a bit stronger mid gear.

But the mpg figure is fact. Flat out in both instances, stock exhaust gave 39mpg and SS with larger bore gave 44mpg. Nicely kept diesel secret is that one ;)
I'm never convinced by these the response might be improved as spool up time is reduced as for mpg I'd recon its down to driving have you tried wearing ear plugs see if you get better mpg? Loads of people recon exhaust give HP but they forget one reason is they subconshiously don't drive it hard for the noise.

MikeDX said:
My MK3 is a 1.5DCI. I assume yours is the 80bhp model as opposed to the newer which are 86.

They are quick for a diesel and very economical. On the days where I dont drive with a lead foot I can get up to 70mpg - but day to day I still get over 50.
New engine arn't any different though Renault had to up there calimed Hp as there old Hp they sold the car on were on the low side.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
edde said:
I'm never convinced by these the response might be improved as spool up time is reduced as for mpg I'd recon its down to driving have you tried wearing ear plugs see if you get better mpg? Loads of people recon exhaust give HP but they forget one reason is they subconshiously don't drive it hard for the noise.

edde have you tried it both with and without ??

I, along with a few others, can certainly vouch for the fact it improves mpg. BHP is of course debatable although there might be a slight gain, whether it is noticable or not is another matter. The spool time is an obvious benefit.

The exhaust isn't intrusively loud, it is audible at 3k rpm, but other than that is almost the same as stock. And I'm not sure what difference ear plugs will do, it won't ease my foot up if that's what you mean:rasp: