ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 - 182 Cat Conversion

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Just had mine fitted today at BTB Exhausts.

Feels better already, the 5k kick seems to have almost disappeared, power comes in sooner and smoother. Subtle difference but should show fairly decent gains.

Cant fault BTB, again their service was excellent and the quality is top notch.

Cant wait for remap now! ;)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Sounds good, whats the setup? 172 mani with a 182 cat and your cat-back system modifed? Im interested if so, what parts did you have to supply and what was the cost etc?

Cheers mate ;) x

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Standard 172 manifold, BTB Custom Cat and BTB Cat-back system. Had the system fitted a couple of months ago, cant praise them enough to be fair.

You need to get hold of a decent 182 Cat, send it to them, they make the modifications and then either send it back for you to fit or do what i did and pop-in to get it fitted properly!

I'll try and find some pics of the modification.

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
I got mine for £50 delivered, was a minter aswell!

Dont pay more than about £80 though, new from Renault they're nearly £1k, meant to be very good quality cat, i.e better than aftermarket 'sports cat'

i really like the look of this! Can you use a 182 manifold and the 182 cat and just change the exit? I.E do they still use the same lambda positions or completely different?

ash_s3

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172 Cup
Same lambda positions i think bud, nothing had to be altered with mine anyway.

Dont think the 182 manifold is any better than the 172 though.

ClioSport 172 Cup
the 182 exhaust mani is where most of the extra torque and power comes from being a completely different design 4-2-1 to the 4-1, the 4-2-1 produces slightly lower back pressure and allows better/faster exhaust gas flow. The 182 cat itself would make a negligible difference to power(anything after the exhaust manifold is pretty much for emissions or noise reduction, the most important bit is the exhaust mani design).
The 182 manifold is something like an extra 8-9bhp realistically over the 172 mani. KTEC list the 182 mani upgrade + sports cat at about an extra 12bhp over the 172 setup, 2bhp of that being the slightly better flowing 182 cat, maybe even less, there isn`t a massive room here for improvement as emissions still have to be controlled!
My setup is a 182 mani on the 172 cat, might swap the 172 cat for a 182 cat at later stage but there are no big gains there tbh for the cost.

Samuel

Last edited: