ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 strut top knocking fix

That looks proper ropey with the top nut floating around above the bodywork, under track conditions is this not gonna cause play in the strut tops - looks dodge!

Hmmm... can anyone confirm if this is right? - Fred perhaps ;)

Did'nt he say before V6's come with these washer's standard? - would have thought they would be OK on track it thats the case.

I don't want to fix one problem and create another!

(Sorry ozzyo I'm not doubting you :) )

SLK 350
Well it certainly looks like it's going to put more strain on the strut top from the picture posted. The rubbered topcap is a hefty size, so the forces inflicted are distributed over a larger area of the strut housing (bodywork). Obviously you have the weight of the car/engine keeping the struts located, aswell as the bolts, but im thinking extreme lateral movement is what may cause issue?

Not speaking from experience here, but it's certainly something i'd want to consider if using this technique. And Freds a (knowledgable) gay and likely not tell you this :)

Lionel Richie
100% fine and safe, the dimensions i gave are IDENTICAL to the V6

as i said, renault obviously know theres a problem with the mk2 shell/suspension design, they decided to spend an extra £2.00 on 2 washers for the £28K "exclusive" V6, but not on the 172/182's

ALL of the mk2 clios use the SAME top mount, from a 1.2 16V all the way upto the 3.0 V6, mad really!

Lionel Richie
Well it certainly looks like it's going to put more strain on the strut top from the picture posted. The rubbered topcap is a hefty size, so the forces inflicted are distributed over a larger area of the strut housing (bodywork). Obviously you have the weight of the car/engine keeping the struts located, aswell as the bolts, but im thinking extreme lateral movement is what may cause issue?

Not speaking from experience here, but it's certainly something i'd want to consider if using this technique. And Freds a (knowledgable) gay and likely not tell you this :)

cool!!! i'm a knowledgable gay!!! sweet!

this washer is not load bearing at all, the only parts of the top mount that are load bearing are the large rubber bush/ring and the top mount bearing

cool!!! i'm a knowledgable gay!!! sweet!

this washer is not load bearing at all, the only parts of the top mount that are load bearing are the large rubber bush/ring and the top mount bearing

Cheers for the responce Fred. You big gay :rasp:

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
My mates car (172) had this problem and it was fixed by Renault a few months ago.

But last week it failed it's first MOT, due to excess play on the top suspension mounts on both sides.

So he has taking it back to the dealer that fixed the knocking problem, as we both think it is because of what they did to the mounts.

It's worrying that Renault's fix can cause your car to fail a MOT.

Burgandy 174 sport t
My mates car (172) had this problem and it was fixed by Renault a few months ago.

But last week it failed it's first MOT, due to excess play on the top suspension mounts on both sides.

So he has taking it back to the dealer that fixed the knocking problem, as we both think it is because of what they did to the mounts.

It's worrying that Renault's fix can cause your car to fail a MOT.

ffs can that be fixed after grinding away at the strut tops?

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
So do you reckon that it could be just down too, two knackered top mounts instead of Renaults grinding work?

Clio 172 ph2 + 990SM
Fred, any chance you could knock me up a set?

Oh, and on a completely unrelated note, i want to buy your ragnotti exhaust in the new year :D but im a bit concerned with clearence... (lowered + standard exhaust seems to be catching on bumps) how feasible is it to put it on a bit higher?

So do you reckon that it could be just down too, two knackered top mounts instead of Renaults grinding work?

Is'nt it the grinding thats knackered them?!

DH182 - I recieved the washer's last week, cheers :) . Ain't got round to fitting them yet

Gal

A Clee O
Justin-172 made up a spare set for me.

There pretty good. Maybe try dropping him a PM and seeing if he has another set left. :)

JMR

RB 182 Cup
I am back at work on Monday.

We have some 3mm stainless in stock.
And we have a Laser.....it'll be like shelling peas.:cool:

I'll get one of our guys in the office to work a price out for a batch of say 50/100.
Then I'll post a price per pair if anyone's interested.

Stainless OK Fred?

James

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I am back at work on Monday.

We have some 3mm stainless in stock.
And we have a Laser.....it'll be like shelling peas.:cool:

I'll get one of our guys in the office to work a price out for a batch of say 50/100.
Then I'll post a price per pair if anyone's interested.

Stainless OK Fred?

James
Magic. Get some prices up and get it stickied. Could be a nice little earner for you.

JMR

RB 182 Cup
Stainless "should" be ok, the V6 ones are zinc plated steel

i thought lasers are only accurate to 0.1/0.2mm?

How accurate do you want them????
You're right Fred it's 0.1mm accuracy.

Surely if you're after 18.5mm i/d either 18.4mm or 18.6mm is going to be ok? How critical is it?

Stainless shouldn't encourage any galvanic reaction between dis-similar metals should it? Same difference with Stainless Exhaust bolted to mild steel cat/manifold eh?

Gal

A Clee O
The centre would need to be fairly accurate as it may have problems crossing the Compression nut. I would make 1 up and then test it - If it covers then do the rest - Otherwise may be a waste of a sheet.

have had 5 pairs made up, all s/s and its non magnetic 303 grade. have pmd the people who had previously contacted me, so they have first refusal then its first come first served as i wont be able to get any more done till after xmas then