ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172/182 supercharger

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
Over Xmas Our engineer Darren decided to create a little monster... (bit of CAD design and alot of machining)

With the aim of keeping the air conditioning for the 182 and having a SUPERCHARGER....

AT THIS STAGE NO TESTING OR POWER FIGURES OR COSTS ARE AVAILABLE.

We are going to run it for a few months and properly track and road test it before it gets released..

There will then be a High Power version later on...

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/AndyGDI/IMG_2654.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/AndyGDI/IMG_2659.jpg
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/AndyGDI/IMG_2660.jpg

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
IS that a brand new motor! Looks spanking!

SOunds interesting! Shame the noise is rank in comparison to TB's!

raw striker
IS that a brand new motor! Looks spanking!

SOunds interesting! Shame the noise is rank in comparison to TB's!

no its just a dummy show engine, all been painted up :) tends not to look to good having a rusty engine block on the stand. :S

Cro

Meg'd r27
Needless to say I'll be listening intently for the ££ tag as soon as it available :approve:

clio 200 F4Rt
stunning!

looks bloody good, and if it gives results like it has for the last few years on the 1.6 saxo, it should be a blinder!

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
its gunna be over 3k for this shaft driven system guys. be realistic. the rotrex charger unit itself costs 2 to 3 times that of a turbo. the second kit that runs without the aircon and the shaft drive may be in that ball park though depending on what gets done about management.

but prices will follow in a couple months when all the testing has been done.

Last edited:
  Dirty E91
How does this differ in power created and it's delivery from the itb setup?

Makes me gutted that I had to get rid of my clio!

vers le haut doigt milieu
I'm interested dont want a super high power one just enough to get my car to say 205-210bhp. Would this cost less then 3k? and is the 3k ball park figure fitted?

raw striker
as said several times.....costs have not been done yet so we cant say how much either of the kits will be.

WHEN the kits have been tested and are launched giving you less power would be no problem but you would need to get your ecu remapped as the kit will come pre mapped for the set boost level. to get less power you would just need to fit a larger pully to the charger to slow it down a bit. alternatively you can just fit the standard low boost kit that will be offered and use a little less right foot!:rasp:

or if you really dont want to exceed 205-210 bhp then just fit an itb kit and cams. :)

M

mini-valver

Are all you guys fro real on the "less than 3k" stuff? Do you know how mush a Rotrex alone costs before any machining is done? You need to pay for the alloy, pay the bloke who is going to machine it, pay for machine time, then sell it to you for half that?

Be realistic you bunch of tight gits! Power costs.

ITB'd MK1
Are all you guys fro real on the "less than 3k" stuff? Do you know how mush a Rotrex alone costs before any machining is done? You need to pay for the alloy, pay the bloke who is going to machine it, pay for machine time, then sell it to you for half that?

Be realistic you bunch of tight gits! Power costs.

Absolutely bang on the money

M

mini-valver

Hi!

I paid more than 3k all in for about 35bhp FFS, think about it lads. Would you work for £5 because everyones perception of your job is that is should be worth fark all?

I only want to pay for a small supercharger, I am aware of how much it costs to get just 30-50 extra break out these cars so if your planning on selling these kits it will have to be value for money in order to turn any profit (but who am I to say, I just wanna be a customer), obviously I know it says several times your not 100% on the price yet as my 1st post is post 16 and obviously I read the above posts by Andy. If its possible and would give the same(ish) results as a turbo or less for less money I would like to put my name down on a list and let me know when you have any pricing info.

M

mini-valver

A turbo is 6k fitted. You want it half price for a more complex install, go figure!

raw striker
£5 an hour! ohhhhhh i can only dream. lol

glad someone understands the costs involved. just add it up....rotrex charger, very complex alloy bracketry (think of the costs in designing this), belts, pulleys, loom, ecu, intercooler, intercooler pipework, map sensor, single manual body adaptor.....ect ect. the costs soon add up. plus they have to make some profit so that they dont go out of bisunes and more importantly so i can get paid my tupence for designing it.

raw striker
I only want to pay for a small supercharger, I am aware of how much it costs to get just 30-50 extra break out these cars so if your planning on selling these kits it will have to be value for money in order to turn any profit (but who am I to say, I just wanna be a customer), obviously I know it says several times your not 100% on the price yet as my 1st post is post 16 and obviously I read the above posts by Andy. If its possible and would give the same(ish) results as a turbo or less for less money I would like to put my name down on a list and let me know when you have any pricing info.

size of the charger would make NO difference at all. if its on a 2.0ltr engine its going to be a c30 case charger so regardless of compressor trim ie c30-74 or c30-94 they are the same price. the only way you would supercharge a clio for that sort of money is if you did it all yourself...and even then imo you would be tight on budget. sad but true. :boring:

M

mini-valver

Bash, I'm not saying that, it's the people that give an ultimatum. "I'll have it if it's 3k or below".

Search Rotrex and look at the prices. If you were serious and researched it, you would know what to expect cost wise, then if it's cheaper, brilliant.

Would you want to pay 100k and no more for a 5 bed house because thats all you think it *should* cost? No, you'd look at prices in the area and look at what comes up under that bracket. It's common sense and is having an effect on companies.

I'm not connected to GDI or anything in this project, just my own opinion.

I have had a 172 since 2007, I have seen every option possible for getting these things more power and I havent bought it because to be honest nothing is worth it (value for money). If there is a new way of doing it then I'm all ears.

M

mini-valver

Thats car tuning though mate. Superchargers or machinists dont get any cheaper.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
LOL - Now for a bit of praise. Well done guys and fark me that engine block looks brand new out of the factory!

172 Cup
Hi!

I paid more than 3k all in for about 35bhp FFS, think about it lads. Would you work for £5 because everyones perception of your job is that is should be worth fark all?

Yawn, circa £1100 + VAT for the charger, then the fitting kit, IC, management. I can appreciate that the shaft driven one will be more than 3k but the none-aircon (CUp friendly) version should IMO be no more than 3k. Go on 306 GTI-6 forum - You can charge a 6 for under 3k if you do the work yourself.

M

mini-valver

Yeah, so £1300 for a charger, £500 (complete guess based on live mapping costs), 33-400 for an IC, thats over 2k already. Pipework, filters, oils, gaskets AND labour is never going to be under 3k.

182FF with cup packs
Thats an impressive bit of engineering work there.

Am I right in thinking that you have basically detached the alternator, A/C compressor and water pump and connected them to your bracket (though bracket seems to small a word to describe that huge mass of alloy) to extend it all out to get the Supercharger shaft drive into there?

Ph1
Also, you cant compare a supercharger conversion to TB's or a turbo conversion.
Supercharger has far more useable power !

Folk need to get away from the figures thing all the time. Their really is more to it than that

ITB'd MK1
remember how weak the pound is to the euro at the moment, then consider rotrex chargers come from europe. Price estimates are way short

ITB'd MK1
Thats an impressive bit of engineering work there.

Am I right in thinking that you have basically detached the alternator, A/C compressor and water pump and connected them to your bracket (though bracket seems to small a word to describe that huge mass of alloy) to extend it all out to get the Supercharger shaft drive into there?

the super charger pulley is where the aux belt idler would have been, everything else is in almost stock position, but on a machined aluminium bracket