ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup fast road geometry

172 Cup
Hi folks,

I know this has been done before however I would like to see if there is anymore up to date info / opinions.

I've had my Cup since June, it's my first Clio and I am having a blast in it. It's 99% a road car although I am planning to track it a couple of times next year and it doesn't need to be too civilised as I have a Saab 95 family wagon for comfort.

Spec wise I have new Cup dampers and Eibach sport lines will be going on shortly along with a whiteline ARB. It has KTEC engine and gear box mounts and a polybush dogbone mount.

I am going to get a set of Contisportcontact tyres and will then get the geometry done.

What settings should I be going for? Will standard Cup settings do the trick?

Whilst I'm at it- does anyone know a decent place to get new wheel bolts? Mine are a nasty mix match and rusty.

Thanks!

172 cup
I run camber shims in the rear, and camber bolts in the front,something like -2.5degrees front and a -1degree shim in rear, handles well on track, but no good for road cos will eat tyres

mk1 Octavia VRS
I run camber shims in the rear, and camber bolts in the front,something like -2.5degrees front and a -1degree shim in rear, handles well on track, but no good for road cos will eat tyres
Mine is running and a bit 2 degrees camber and is used for a mix of track & road driving. Road driving hasn't had any noticeable effect on the tyre wear but track driving wears the outside of the front tyres more.

For the use the OP describes I'd go with 1.5-2.0 degrees camber. Shouldn't cause any tyre wear issues as long as the tracking is set up right afterwards.

172 cup
Mine is running and a bit 2 degrees camber and is used for a mix of track & road driving. Road driving hasn't had any noticeable effect on the tyre wear but track driving wears the outside of the front tyres more.

For the use the OP describes I'd go with 1.5-2.0 degrees camber. Shouldn't cause any tyre wear issues as long as the tracking is set up right afterwards.
I think cup rear are -1.5 standered

mk1 Octavia VRS
Can't edit my previous reply. I meant 1.5-2.0 on the front. For the occasional trackday I wouldn't bother with camber shims on the rear - at least not until you have a bit more track experience. I would definitely recommend tuition on your first few outings - if you haven't been on track before it will make you faster than spending a load of extra cash on mods that don't add that much performance.

172 Cup
Thanks for the advice guys. Appreciate it. I will definitely take any chance to get out with an instructor and won't be spending much more modding the car - just going to enjoy it.

172 cup
Best option is to find out wot your running at the moment, and adjust to make both sides the same, mine was miles from being equal, but yes adding new camber is only a slight corner speed advantage, a good driver will always be faster, and for just a few trackdays it's not worth the hassle of a set up, cups handle good standered so leave it alone if not many track days, oh and don't cut corners on tyres, good track tyres is better than any suspension set up. Tyres are everything....

WRX
Standard settings are fine for the odd track day. 99% of drivers wouldn't be able to tell the difference between slight variations in camber and toe etc.

172 Cup
Found Michelin PS3 in 195/45/16 for £311 fitted. Going to get them done next week.

Will report back once all is set. Thanks again

172 cup
One last thing, I did my first track day at cadwell park in my almost standered clio 172 cup, and with the cup brakes, I could only do two laps then pull off to let brakes cool down, so was a waste of money, brakes need upgrade.

WRX
Cadwell's is quite a bit more demanding than most tracks. You really need to go to the top end of the price range in pads.

172 Cup
Ah, not what you want!

I've got Brembo HC discs, Mintex 1144 pads and braided brake lines. Probably stick some better fluid in and hopefully that will be good enough.

Track 172 Cup
This was my setup from Blink using their Track Demon setting, They are very helpful and I will be going back soon to have some more work done. I did have to get a shim for the rear where you can see it's out.

image-8dc6f13e035c2584a0f4f7522eac7703adedc68445d2af162f63c4202238b095-V.jpg