ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Cup prices

Clio 172 Cup
Hi,

Recently I've been on the lookout for a 172 Cup, and scanning the various classifieds there seems to be a huge range in prices - anywhere from £1,100 to £3,000+

I realise, to a certain extent, you get what you pay for, but what would you say is the going rate for a smart but useable 172 Cup?

I'd like something reasonably decent that's more or less factory standard. But as the same time I'm looking for a car that I can use as a daily driver for a long commute in all weathers and take on the occasional track day, so there's no point buying a show car that's so immaculate that it will lose £500 the first time I take it out in the rain.

Also, I've flicked through various 172/182 buyers guides. Are there any 172 Cup specific point to look out for?

Cheers,

Chris

£1500-1700 will get you a decent cup.

Just make sure the biggest expensive which is the cambelt has been carried out ideally with a dephaser pulley change at the same time and a receipt to prove it all.

That alone is around £500 so consider that if you end up looking at one which needs it doing 5yrs/72k whichever comes first.

Not really much else to look out apart from the usual. Melted steering wheels are the norm so don't let that put you off.

I'd be tempted to get a normal 172 though with the luxurys of nicer seats, aircon, cruise control if its for a daily.

A Cup doesn't have ABS, some on here think that no ABS means you're going to crash :rolleyes: the seats aren't very nice either.
But other than that they are great!

Clio 172 Cup
A Cup doesn't have ABS, some on here think that no ABS means you're going to crash :rolleyes: the seats aren't very nice either.
But other than that they are great!

I've currently got a somewhat modified TVR Chimaera, so I'm quite used to cars trying to kill me every so often. :)

For a daily driver shared with my other half and driven in all weathers I would consider the ABS (and better headlights, I believe?) on the regular 172 to be a bonus. The thing is, I just love the look of the metallic blue Cups with the Turini wheels. Shallow but true.

On which note, am I right in thinking the ride height is lower on the Cups too? Is there such a thing as a full fat 172 with the Cup suspension?

I personally like the fact the front seats are hard wearing yet surprisingly supportive. The rears are like patio furniture cushions though.

A couple of hours to go until the last time I ever drive mine after 5 years of ownership :(

I've currently got a somewhat modified TVR Chimaera, so I'm quite used to cars trying to kill me every so often. :)

For a daily driver shared with my other half and driven in all weathers I would consider the ABS (and better headlights, I believe?) on the regular 172 to be a bonus. The thing is, I just love the look of the metallic blue Cups with the Turini wheels. Shallow but true.

On which note, am I right in thinking the ride height is lower on the Cups too? Is there such a thing as a full fat 172 with the Cup suspension?
Yep normal 172's have zenon head lights. I'm not sure if a cup is lower, all normal 172's were the same.

I like the look of the cups, for the same reason you do :)

172 Turbo
I paid £1500 last week for my Cup, it's taxed for 6 months and has the invoice for the belt change. I make it a £900 car as I spent weeks looking for one with the invoice.

It's not immaculate and it's not low miles with over 90k but it did the job ok on the way home. I'm putting in the air tomorrow to check what it actually needs, at the moment I know it needs a single shock and hopefully just an exhaust fitting kit.

Clio 172 Cup

I noticed that one. Bit of a trek, but it seems like a fairly honest car with the important bits looked after - if it's mechanically good I have no intention of paying an extra thousand pounds for one that's had the insides of all the dust caps machine polished. ;)

Seen a couple of 172 Cups advertised for around the £3,000 mark. I don't doubt a really good one could justify that price, but I'm not sure it would suit my needs for a daily driver.

I can see the benefits of the extra toys and the ABS, so I'd certainly consider a full fat 172 (or a 182 if one dipper into my price range). That said, I've had a thing for the 172 Cup ever since I spent half an hour staring at one when we stationary on a traffic jam on the A303 a few years ago.

172 Turbo
I drove two of the 3 that are for sale for £3k, the two I drove had very expensive modifications and were worth every penny, if the bodied belonging to leeds_182 hadn't sold last weekend, I'd buy it still. The other belonging to Wayne has Recaro seats that change hands for £850 leaving behind a £2,250 car.

Brookie.

ClioSport Club Member
I noticed that one. Bit of a trek, but it seems like a fairly honest car with the important bits looked after - if it's mechanically good I have no intention of paying an extra thousand pounds for one that's had the insides of all the dust caps machine polished. ;)

Seen a couple of 172 Cups advertised for around the £3,000 mark. I don't doubt a really good one could justify that price, but I'm not sure it would suit my needs for a daily driver.

I can see the benefits of the extra toys and the ABS, so I'd certainly consider a full fat 172 (or a 182 if one dipper into my price range). That said, I've had a thing for the 172 Cup ever since I spent half an hour staring at one when we stationary on a traffic jam on the A303 a few years ago.

I agree. The one above seems to fit your needs perfectly. Nice mileage, 12 months MOT, cambelt/dephaser done and due to it not being 100% perfect on the outside a nice price to boot.

It's certainly worth a look. You could even try ask for a chunk off for your travel distance.

Clio 172 Cup
I drove two of the 3 that are for sale for £3k, the two I drove had very expensive modifications and were worth every penny, if the bodied belonging to @leeds_182 hadn't sold last weekend, I'd buy it still. The other belonging to Wayne has Recaro seats that change hands for £850 leaving behind a £2,250 car.

I've enquired about one up in Cambridgeshire up for that sort of money, but as far as I'm aware it's mechanically standard, factory seats etc. Aside from the cambelt I'm not aware of it even having any of the parts refreshed (still on original dampers, exhaust, engine mounts etc. as far as I can see). That's why I was keen to find out what you're paying for in the top end examples. I wouldn't rule out spending that sort of money providing it's likely to hold its value reasonably well in the face of daily use.

That said, if I could spend £1,500 on one with a few blemishes that still drove well it might be a better bet for what I have in mind.

Stupid question, but I presume you can get a mountain bike (minus wheels) in a 172 Cup?

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
172 cups have wider track than the normal 172, rear shocks are the same but fronts are different. Id get a cup then stick a set of xenon headlights in, and possibly some Recaro trendlines if you dont like the standard seats.

Tbh, you could probably pick up a 182 Full fat in arctic blue which is almost the same as the mondial blue :)

E36 328i
Lol here we go again.

Sub £1200 dog

£1200-1900 ok useable

£1900- 2400 belts done nice and clean needs odd little bits nothing major.

£2400-3000 absolute minter ,low miles and wants for nothing!!!

Add £300 to the second prices above for 182's

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Go for an Arctic 182 for best of both worlds! 3k would get you a nice one...

cjgower

ClioSport Club Member
Lol here we go again.

Sub £1200 dog

£1200-1900 ok useable

£1900- 2400 belts done nice and clean needs odd little bits nothing major.

£2400-3000 absolute minter ,low miles and wants for nothing!!!

Add £300 to the second prices above for 182's

Sold mine is november 2013 and got £2700 for it. Indeed a minter :(

Clio 172 Cup

Spoke to the seller about that one. Seems like a very genuine sale - and a great car for the money - but I think it will be sold before I can get down to Southampton.

Although I've driven a couple of 182s, I've never even sat in a 172 at this stage, so I'm keeping an open mind. I've got quite a long distance commute, but it's about 50% B-road and 50% urban crawl, so I rarely have to sit on the motorway. Based on that I like the idea of the 172 - particularly in Cup form - which I'd imagine is a bit more full-on than the more grown up 182? It's only an assumption, though.

This one caught my eye too: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifi...tsport-182-16v-2004/1997948?isexperiment=true

Wouldn't generally be keen on the idea of a sports exhaust for a daily driver, but I gather the Scorpion one is quite discrete at low revs?

Chris

Last edited: