ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 exhaust on a 182?

Searched and lots of people trying to do the opposite, but no answers to this.

Does anyone know of any problems fitting an OEM 172 exhaust/ or equivalent onto a 182 in terms of where the mounts are located etc, obviously I will need a ph2 bumper without cut outs.

I prefer the cleaner look of the 172 rear end, plus the yozza is good fun when you are on it but not that suitable for my current work.

I know, I know but i'd still like to know if its feasible. IMO the standard 182 back box looks horrendous.

Interesting that you both seem dead against it, cleaner looking rear end, cheaper exhaust, quiet for work... what's not to like!

I know, I know but i'd still like to know if its feasible. IMO the standard 182 back box looks horrendous.

Interesting that you both seem dead against it, cleaner looking rear end, cheaper exhaust, quiet for work... what's not to like!

Yeah possibly is the 172 cat a different length?

Yes it is a different length because the Mani's are a different length, as you know the 172 has a 4-1 mani making it shorter so the Cat in turn is longer... Conversely the 182 has a 4-2-1 mani which is longer and in turn makes the car smaller

Short answer is you have two options:

1.) You would need to either use a straight through mid-section (which would be custom cut to the required length)

Or

2.) The alternative is having to fit the whole 172 Mani/Cat/Mid/backbox

And obviously the rear bumper which would need to be painted to match

Mount wise I think most are identical apart from the 182 having an extra one at the back no? (Someone would be able to confirm this)

Please keep the old bits though to make sure you could give them to the new owner if you ever sold the car

Hope this helps

Why is it bonkers?

People's preferences change. Maybe he preferred the 182 rear end and exhausts hence the purchase of one, then he has now decided he likes the cleaner look.

Rather than the hassle of selling and buying an other car, why not, for the sake of a few hundered pounds, change the one he's got. He can keep the original 182 parts for when he comes to sell.

I can't answer any of your questions mate but if it can be done and that's what you wanted, then just do it.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
its going to cost you a fair bit to get another new exhaust system rear bumper etcdid you hate the look before you purchased the 182 m8

Thanks for all the replies. @tomhunt85 cheers I'll have a look at what solution he came up with.

@ADS1982 I don't hate the look of the yozza I have currently or some other 182 exhaust options, in fact I quiet like it, I'm just interested to see what the potential problems/costs etc there are in changing it.

Cheers @Spinksy some useful info, although I don't understand why you would need option 2 at all, could you not use OEM back box and cut the mid to the required length and sleeve it to the 182 cat (as the yozza is now) is the diameter of the OEM centre section different to aftermarket systems?

Cost/time/if it's worth doing is obviously a consideration, but ph2 bumpers can be had pretty cheap, or free in some cases, and I'll spray it myself. It's an ongoing project so no thoughts of selling any time soon.

Thanks for all the replies. [

Cheers @Spinksy some useful info, although I don't understand why you would need option 2 at all, could you not use OEM back box and cut the mid to the required length and sleeve it to the 182 cat (as the yozza is now) is the diameter of the OEM centre section different to aftermarket systems?

Quite possibly mate if there is enough length, I wasn't sure on the placement of the mid-box and how close it would be to the join to be completely honest so it was the suggestion that made most sense to me as an alternative

If the length is fine mate do that tbh, would save a fair bit of pissing about

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
  Seat Leon
hey Nick im not knocking what u want to do if you want to do it do it,just wouldnt want you blowing 100s of pounds on it maybe get 2nd hand systeam and bits

MG ZR x2, Polo, CTR
I've got a 172 exhaust manifold up for grabs, 38k miles from new.
Cover post and its yours

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Fitted a 172 exhaust to a 182 she'll recently. Granted it was the full system with 172 manifold but just as an fyi, the rest hanger mount is already tapped ready for the bolts, made it really easy.