ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 heating up very quickly!

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
My Clio 172 Cup has been running fine. Took it for it's MOT on Friday, but they couldn't do the emissions test because the radiator fan wasn't kicking in. The garage put in a temporary fix to get it through the test and gave me it back. I've since been to an auto electrics place to sort the problem with my fan, this has now been fixed, but my car seems to be running very hot

Nipped out tonight, the car was cold, drove for literally 2 minutes, my temperature gauge was up to half and the heater blowers were hot. It was never like this before my MOT, surely this can't be related to my radiator fan?

I'm going to take it back to the garage tomorrow, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions to what could be up with it or if there's something they may have done, before I go back in the morning.

I don't want to end up paying to fix something that wasn't broken in the first place!

Cheers!

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Couldn't do emissions test because the radiator fan wasn't working... erm, okay

What is the air temp output from the heater blower like with this: roasting hot, tepid or not even remotely warm?

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
They said they couldn't do the emissions test because the car was getting too hot just sitting running and not moving, there was no fan to cool the engine.
The heaters feel very hot, like the car has been running for at least half an hour

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Normally, the engine must be up to temp to carryout the emissions test and i've not seen a cooling fan on a Clio II function in years whilst carrying out one.

So when you start the car, within a few minutes the output hot air is roasting! Yeah, that is completely wrong and you really need that addressing before you do something that will cost you money.

Oddesy

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup, FK2 Type R
I'm literally about to go back to the garage that did the MOT because as I said earlier, this wasn't happening before I took it for it's test. Cheers for the feedback

A4 tdi quattro sport
Sounds like thermostat stuck shut or gubbed water pump. When the car has heated up the top radiator hose should be warm. If its cold then the stat is stuck shut and not allowing the coolant to circulate round the rad. It may be open a little hence its not completely over heating.