ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 or 182 for track

rs200
ok folks im looking in to buying a track car Ive been thinking of a fair amount of cars mx5, saxo vts, zr 160 or t16,

then i thought of the 182 is good value for the money

but whats the difference between 172 (apart from the 10bhp)

obviously with it been a track car i will be changing suspension and running a straight through exhaust system with a forced induction and cam it with a custom map

im just after a second car i can pull to bits and play with and have fun on the track with

many thanks for reading

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
tbh your best off going for a 172 or 106 gti as the extra price you will pay for the 182 isn't worth it, I will get torn to bits for this but my 172 cup has been quicker than every 182 I've raced

You will not be putting a straight through system on it if you want to use it on the track, very strict on noise at tracks now a standard decatted system is loud for a trackday think mine is 92db with just a standard exhaust with decat only 9db of Bedford max and 13db away from everywhere else

depends what you want in the car also, Cup is always your best bet for a track car as it already lacks the ABS, Climate control, Xenons etc so a better and cheaper car to buy for pure track use

Last edited:
  RenaultSport 172
There's no real difference. A 182 will cost you more, but won't perform any better. You need to pick the best condition one you can find for your budget rather than worry if its a 172 or 182.
A 172 cup would be a better option as its already got rid of 89kg I think

rs200
thank you all for you reply i think i will start looking now for the 172

as for going down best results for power gains whats the best way to do that just as above like i say

cams induction exhaust and a re-map

very much appreciate all your feed back

i have a clio rs200 now but i dont really want to track that just in case

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Its used for track/fun? Forget chasing high figures mate. Strip (the car), decent tyres, suspension, brakes, book trackday and have fun.

-Dan-

ClioSport Club Member
getting power from them is expensive, looking at 2.5k for another 15-20hp for Throttle bodies yeah they sound amazing but is it spending 2.5k on an N/A car you just going to track, 197 cams are a good fit in them IMO

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
There's no real difference. A 182 will cost you more, but won't perform any better. You need to pick the best condition one you can find for your budget rather than worry if its a 172 or 182.
A 172 cup would be a better option as its already got rid of 89kg I think

This. Couldn't have put it better myself.

One that is mechanically sound, and well kept, will be a good base then mod it as you go to suit your needs / driving style etc.

RenaultSport 172
My car only made 161bhp. But it's stripped out, decent tyres and uprated suspension and it goes great. I've haven't come across many other clios that are much faster around the track so no need to worry to much about the power.
I would however love to get mine up to 180bhp! It's just too expensive though

Listerine & Poledo
mods worth doing-
strip it out
new brake fluid and decent new pads/discs
decent tyres
driver tuition.
refresh suspension (it'll be getting floppy by now)

Mods not worth doing on a track-day 172 (where the person hasn't got bottomless pockets)
everything else

Always wondered how a zr 160 would perform on track. Always loved zrs. Never had a 160 mind but apparently they are decent

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
172 cup if you can't find one that isn't a shed, this is the problem I had and ended up with a half decent condition 182.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
mods worth doing-
strip it out
new brake fluid and decent new pads/discs
decent tyres
driver tuition.
refresh suspension (it'll be getting floppy by now)

Mods not worth doing on a track-day 172 (where the person hasn't got bottomless pockets)
everything else

Where's the fun in that? :wink:

Just buy decent second hand mods that you can remove when you come to sell it and make most of your money back, at least that's how I try to justify it :)

rs200
mg zr 160 are a fun car but ive had to many mgs iv owned them from 17, age of 24 i sold my last one and bought the clio

this is what i use to track and i relay wish now i didnt sell it

20120922_173319.jpg

dont judge a book by its cover it was an animal lol

20120913_183259.jpg

who sees an inter cooler under reg!!

20120703_200155.jpg

20120923_135801_zps2221e79b.jpg

mg zr 160 are a fun car but ive had to many mgs iv owned them from 17, age of 24 i sold my last one and bought the clio

this is what i use to track and i relay wish now i didnt sell it

20120922_173319.jpg

dont judge a book by its cover it was an animal lol

20120913_183259.jpg

who sees an inter cooler under reg!!

20120703_200155.jpg

20120923_135801_zps2221e79b.jpg
That's awesome. Proper sleeper