ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Rear Pads

cock mobile.

What are people using on for back pads? I recently got some Tar-Ox pads for the front which work well. Have standard discs all around and dont want to change them.

Any recommendations for something that will work well with the Tar-Ox front pads? Do Tar-Ox do rear pads for the 172? Cant seem to find them listed anywhere.

Cheers.

cock mobile.

Cheers guys.

Edde: Am I right in thinking its about a 70 / 30 split? I would defo prefer that rear 30 to be pretty damn good also.

Quote: Originally posted by sh33n on 25 July 2005

Cheers guys.

Edde: Am I right in thinking its about a 70 / 30 split? I would defo prefer that rear 30 to be pretty damn good also.
Nope more like 90 /10 if that. Although it does depend the weight on the rear axle.

Serously you wont have problems people on here run 172 brakes front and drums at the back with no problem on 290hp+ Clios. Disks are even more powerful so you can see there overkill more expensive pads.

You wont ever have an issue with the rear barkes beyond the disk rusting possibly if you dont brake hard. quite a few people have had to change there disks as they have gone rusty. The rear pads do nothing you cannot overheat then in use. Even the Cup racer dont use uprated stuff.

cock mobile.

Ok cheers for that edde, will just source some standard quality ones from somewhere in that case!

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Quote: Originally posted by edde on 25 July 2005

Cheers guys.

Nope more like 90 /10 if that. Although it does depend the weight on the rear axle.

Serously you wont have problems people on here run 172 brakes front and drums at the back with no problem on 290hp+ Clios. Disks are even more powerful so you can see there overkill more expensive pads.

You wont ever have an issue with the rear barkes beyond the disk rusting possibly if you dont brake hard. quite a few people have had to change there disks as they have gone rusty. The rear pads do nothing you cannot overheat then in use. Even the Cup racer dont use uprated stuff.
Cup racers use PF97 rear pads trust me they get used, its all about balanced braking. Yes, the rear on the 172/182 are used only 25% but when you have a brake bias valve you would be amazed at the difference in braking performance when you put some more bias to the rear compared to the road car!!!!! Road car is set to safety not max performance.

Anyways standard pads are going to be fine but hey if you can buy the same as the fronts...

Ray with all the spare tyres / Jack / tool box fluid etc your Williams must be set to 10/90 ;)

Quote: Originally posted by EVOgone on 25 July 2005

Cup racers use PF97 rear pads trust me they get used, its all about balanced braking. Yes, the rear on the 172/182 are used only 25% but when you have a brake bias valve you would be amazed at the difference in braking performance when you put some more bias to the rear compared to the road car!!!!! Road car is set to safety not max performance.
Anyways standard pads are going to be fine but hey if you can buy the same as the fronts...

Ray with all the spare tyres / Jack / tool box fluid etc your Williams must be set to 10/90 ;)
Most people dont go messing with brake bias valves but yep if you do and use the car hard on track days your right uprated pads would be helpful however 99.999% of 172/182 owners (infact most car owers) will never do this.

I wish mine were working at the back after all the abuse Ive given it the back disks still have rust on them. I think a fiddle with them is due some time soon.

Ive been out and bought ever more tools though since last time I might need a trailer this time.

EVOgone

ClioSport Club Member
  Pink Cup Racer

Most people dont go messing with brake bias valves but yep if you do and use the car hard on track days your right uprated pads would be helpful however 99.999% of 172/182 owners (infact most car owers) will never do this.

I wish mine were working at the back after all the abuse Ive given it the back disks still have rust on them. I think a fiddle with them is due some time soon.

Ive been out and bought ever more tools though since last time I might need a trailer this time.
Check the rear brake bais valve it works on weight in the rear, example full up your car and it automatically puts more bias to the rear. Usually sieze and put next to no effort on the rear.

You going the ring in Sept ?

Check the rear brake bais valve it works on weight in the rear, example full up your car and it automatically puts more bias to the rear. Usually sieze and put next to no effort on the rear.

You going the ring in Sept ?
Yep going back there with you all.

The brake bias has been adjusted as the cars been lowered but its only a simple spring and nut to adjust it. I think they just let of the brakes to much.

Lionel Richie

Cheers guys.

some of the teams dont bother