ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Shock stuck

172/ Mini Cooper 68
Spent ages trying to remove the top mount nuts on my shock absorbers on my 172, nicely seized on, so have been hammering my spanner, using wd40 and oil to try and get the top nut off my shocks, now I have a broken hex in the top as well, am I better off using an angle grinder or drilling the top of the shock out, thanks

Top mount.jpg

welshname

ClioSport Club Member
First off is the car on the floor? If you've got it in the air you're just making the job harder for yourself.

I just stuck a deep socket on it and a breaker bar. Didn't even bother with the Allen key in the top

Chi

Z4, VW172, R26
If try getting a slightly smaller socket on it and use an impact driver a crack bar or air gun.

172/ Mini Cooper 68
Yeah it is off the floor now as I had to remove wheels and to get new tyres, will have problem using impact driver as i haven't got one or accces to one and cant move the car, even when I get the wheel the front spring broken and will slice the wheel as it already had done! I will try and move the axle stands ind the wishbones and try again. A new day and hopefully a better outcome. If not I will try and find someone who can come round and remove it with an impact driver. Cheers

not sure if it can do any damage but i used a pair a mole grips and a rag on the shock then 21mm deep socket plus my bar and got it off straight away. Only done it the once this way so i'm not sure if it can do any damage or not.

172/ Mini Cooper 68
I'm thinking maybe a nut splitter might do the trick as I'm sure the shocks are fine and would rather not damage them and keep them as spare

FF Clio 182
Impact gun it off. Just take it to a garage and ask then to knock it loose then drive it home and do what you have to do

Renault Clio 172 cup
Go to Machine mart, they sell a cheap impact gun ( about 25 quid, and its not a piece of junk, surprisingly good ) that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. Got mine undone no problem and comes in usefull for similar jobs in future.

172/ Mini Cooper 68
Go to Machine mart, they sell a cheap impact gun ( about 25 quid, and its not a piece of junk, surprisingly good ) that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket. Got mine undone no problem and comes in usefull for similar jobs in future.
Thats sounds a good idea as I can't move the car. did try and split the nut in half, but looks like that is going to take some time but the other side I will look at getting the machine mart impact gun.

Cheers guy