ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 Standard Security

VaVa

Hi

Im looking at purchasing a 172 (import). The guy at my local car supermarket told me that they dont have an alarm on them , and that I would have to pay for an after market alarm system. (looked in clio brochure says cat 1 as standard!! on UK car anyways)

Surprise, surprise the guy then offered to sell me a thatcham cat 1 (sigma) for 400 notes. My first instinct was that he was trying to take the p*ss, and I duly left the showroom. However i have been unable to find any information to the contrary or otherwise!! Do imports (these are from Cyprus) have an alarm?

Cheers

Lager

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

UK cars get a cat1 alarm/immobiliser, imports get no alarm, but a cat2 immobiliser...

Just buy the car then get one retro fitted yourself for less.

Imports wont come with an alarm. Its easy to get a decent aftermarket one fitted for less than 400 notes.

Id check with Reno UK first about the 3 year warranty situation on cars from Cyprus though. Theres been some talk about the Cyprus imports not being covered for the extended period, wheres all EU countries are. You might find they wont pay out on warranty claims after the first year.

Rich

VaVa

Cheers mate, nice one. Will go back with tail in between legs!

Quoted £13,100 OTR with alarm, 2yrs warranty 3yrs RAC. Sound Fair?

Cant believe they dont come with an alarm. Is there no car theft in Europe?!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 05 August 2003

Thats not a great deal...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by monkeymagic on 06 August 2003

should be ~£11500 for a 172 from an importer - see Motorpoint or Trade-sales instead.
Well, theyre £11,995 from Motorpoint, plus about £250-£300 for the bits & bobs, so approx £12,300 OTR which is cheap!

VaVa

My local car supermarket is Motorpoint!!!. They are 11,999 plus 160 road tax, 58 new car reg, 400 for what they call a quad pack (extra years warranty, rac breakdown, gap insurance and something else I cant remember). The price above also included the money for the stupidly expensive alarm (400). Around 13k all in. Decided not buy from there (got a bad feeling about vehicles from cyprus for some reason). Going to Motorhouse at cannock this avo, they sell them for 11,999. with two years warranty already included. Hopefully they will be cheaper OTR!!!

Thanks for your help Rich, your a legend.

VW Potato

dont get one sourced from Cyprus. Too much hassle with reno as its not a EU car if anything goes wrong (i think they have 15" wheels, not 16", too)

g

Lee

BMW M2C

I got mine from Motorpoint, but they have since changed where they are getting there cars from. Mine came from Holland.

Motorhouse will be a little more expensive, as the arent such a large outfit. They are just down the road from me, so I tried there first. The guy said there was no way they could match the price motorpoint were selling there Clios at. The Clios at Motorhouse were from Belgium at the time I think.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 06 August 2003

My local car supermarket is Motorpoint!!!. They are 11,999 plus 160 road tax, 58 new car reg, 400 for what they call a quad pack (extra years warranty, rac breakdown, gap insurance and something else I cant remember). The price above also included the money for the stupidly expensive alarm (400). Around 13k all in. Decided not buy from there (got a bad feeling about vehicles from cyprus for some reason). Going to Motorhouse at cannock this avo, they sell them for 11,999. with two years warranty already included. Hopefully they will be cheaper OTR!!!

Thanks for your help Rich, your a legend.
Burnley or Derby?!

You can get a pukka UK car cheap from http://www.new-car-discount.comwww.new-car-discount.com

They are based in Manchester and a UK 172 is £12,500 from them, but you get the alarm included, the 3 year warranty, the AA cover, etc...

Makes more sense!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Lee M on 06 August 2003

The Clios at Motorhouse were from Belgium at the time I think.
Arent these rumoured to have less power?!

Lee

BMW M2C

There was talk of there being two varients sold in Belgium, one with less power than the other for tax reasons!!

VaVa

If i can get a UK car for a little over 12,500 I will be one happy bunny.!! The deals on that site look pretty awesome.....free delivery, full uk warranty etc. worth checking out.

Thanks again Rich.:D

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 06 August 2003

If i can get a UK car for a little over 12,500 I will be one happy bunny.!! The deals on that site look pretty awesome.....free delivery, full uk warranty etc. worth checking out.

Thanks again Rich.
Get on the phone mate...

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Whats the URL for the Belgium site?!

My mates mk1 is an import and we believe its from Belgium. Thats never been as quick as it should be...

Lee

BMW M2C

Id go with that one Rich mentioned. I got an import as I had been left without a car, so I needed something quick, also when I got mine on an 03 in March, dealers hadnt started dropping there prices.

So far Ive not had an issues with it being an import. My local dealer has been more than happy to sort any issues out. Of which there have been a couple!!

Abarth 595 Trufeo

Quote: Originally posted by lagerlout1 on 05 August 2003

For an import that is a lousy deal.
I am paying that much for my UK spec 172

and before anyone says I could of got it cheaper I know but the dealer is doing me £500 over book price on our part exchange & throwing in a double spoiler fitted for free - (I am still trying to get the cup alloys instead of the original 172 ones) - so all in all it works out as a very good deal for us.

Helen