ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 uneven brake pad wear

Just looked at the front pads on my car and they all seem to have plenty of meat left - except the outer pad on the passenger side, inner pad is fine on the same caliper. Anyone have any ideas why the outer pad should wear so much?

Thanks.
Rob.

When I changed my front pads, one of the pads was noticably thinner than the opposite one.

My theory is that the pad on the side of the piston (the front callipers only had one large piston as far as I could see) will wear more than the opposite one as it closest to the calliper and therefore works the hardest. Thats the theory I came up with anyway.

<A target=_blank href= "http://www.clio172.comwww.clio172.com

Thats what I would of thought, but there is only one pad that is worn on mine and its the outer pad (not by the piston) on the passenger side? When I changed the rears they were worn more by the piston. Weird, wonder if it has anything to do with some pulsing when braking at slow speeds?

Sorry to resurrect such an ancient!

I have the same problem on my 182, but both sides. Equally so I would say.
The outer pad is far more worn than the inner pad, ie. it is the opposite to what you would expect where the piston side wears more since that is the side where the pressure is applied.

My last set of pads was absolutely fine and this is only since they were changed by my local garage and for exactly the same type of pad (DS2500).

Over a decade ;)
Just happened to be same problem.

Yeah I wondered about something seized but both sides? I haven't had the pads out yet, just the wheels off, but it looked like both sides of the car had worn equally. Almost like all the braking has been done by the 2 outer pads only.