ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 using water?

172ph2
I've noticed over the last couple of months (about 2000 miles ago) the water level has gone down from about the max line to just above (~1-2cm) the min level line. It was topped up when it was (12k) serviced.

I ran it on idle for about 10 mins this morning then moved it to another parking bay. Parked for a couple of mins I had a look at the exhaust there were quite a few drops of water on the ground and there's a bit of moisture to the exhaust fumes. Are these drops just from condensation inside the exhaust from the cold morning?
IMG_20121103_080510.jpg

I also checked the oil cap and it looks pretty clean and it's running great so I don't think it's head related, engine temp doesn't get above half. I'm guessing a leak somewhere? What symptoms does a dying water pump exhibit?

Keith185

ClioSport Club Member
Wouldnt worry about exhaust.

When my pump went (bearings went on the shaft) you could hear a ticking/rattling noise that would speed up with engine revs and loss of coolant. Could see water on cambelt side under car obviously too.

My temp gauge didn't fluctuate differently at all even when water was coming out as fast as I could put it in.

Top up water and inspect bay etc. Pump is on left hand side right ar bottom driven by the Aux belt. If as you are suspecting waterpump, do not run engine.