ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172 v's Elise

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Thinking of changing my 2003 172 for a Series 1 Lotus Elise..
I've driven an Elise and thought it was awesome - but how much more awesome 0-06 and 0-100 is it than a slightly modified 172??

Broken Diesel Megane :(
my car is slightly modded (ind kit and decatted exhaust, stripped interior) dunno bout times to 60 and 100 but i had one try it on with me on the dual carriageway and there wasnt anything in it. i pulled ahead slightly but the second we got on a twisty road it murdered me. would def consider buyin one. brilliant cars. just make sure you are double jointed for getting in and out lol

I really don't want to sell my 172. only had it 8 months and love it to bits, but the urge of getting an Elise keeps coming back - wanted one before I got the 172 but went for the sensible option...

Broken Diesel Megane :(
i know they are really nice cars. i am letting my head rule until next year, then my apprenticeship is up so i am gonna treat myself i think :D been looking at porsche 944s recently, always liked them.

ExigeV6|Q5|DS3|Fiat
Thinking of getting one myself, really tempted as they are such good fun. No difference in straight line speed after 60mph but great cornering and rear wheel drive and a more thrilling experience....however the thing that holds me back is the reliability of the K-series engine, apparently they arent that great....

Anyone know the reliability of these engines above 70k?

Last edited:
  Lotus Exige, Fiat X1/9
aaronc said:
Thinking of getting one myself, really tempted as they are such good fun. No difference in straight line speed after 60mph but great cornering and rear wheel drive and a more thrilling experience....however the thing that holds me back is the reliability of the K-series engine, apparently they arent that great....

Ive got a Lotus Exige S1 with a K series engine, rebuilds are about every 40,000 miles, im looking for a 182 at the moment as my daily driver to replace my Alfa Romeo!

Clio 182 Trophy
If your worried about the k-series engine get a VX220 (same car), i'd love an elise\vx220 - they reckon they are best handling cars full stop.

Lotus Elise 111R
Well I have had both, and I have to say they are both 100% reliable. Even a standard S1 Elise would eat the 172 for breakfast, sorry but there is no way the 172 is ANYWHERE near it in terms of performance and handling. It is a different world.

You do have to be a contorsionist to get in and out of the elise, and be prepared to carry a towel as they are'nt exactly water tight.... Also even after 2 years of ownership, putting the roof on in less than 3 minutes was not possible, so don't leave it too late if the rain is coming! That said, I will buy another very soon!!!!!!

I sold mine as we were having my first son, and if the clio was'nt so great, I would swap back to the elise tomorrow as we have an MPV as well now. However, I am going to wait til the winter and get one cheaper than in summer, the beauty of elises, is that everyone realises how much they leak in the winter, so they dont want them!! I used mine everyday for 2 years, so am a seasoned elise owner!

blue172 - you've convinced me. I drove my mates elise from Winchester to Chichister last year and have wanted one ever since. The feeling of rear wheel drive is awesome - much better than even the best front wheel drive car (more fun than 4x4 too)..

wouldnt say the performance is in a different world, they both have roughly the same power to weight ratio, but i agree, i would have one aswell :D

Fiesta ST Stage 3
My one is still going strong at 82K touch wood quick lol

aaronc said:

i love the original elise and the mk2 aint too bad either.

says it all really. i'd have one in a shot.

Other engine fit the Elise bay I think anway. Plus if there a market for replacment engine usually there not much due to competition

Nissan 350Z
I've had a passenger ride in an S1 Elise, 135 bhp, and it was upgraded with Exige suspension and brakes. Naturally, the roof was down too.

What a car. Difficult to get in and out off (particularly I imagine, with the roof up). The noise it makes is visceral. Performance wise, not as great as you'd imagine in a straight line. 0-60, the Elise would win pretty easily due to being able to leap off the line with RWD and rear engined advantage. However, above 60, and to be perfectly honest, I think the Clio would have it, the driver asked what I had and when I told him, he told me that he'd driven a 182 and loved it, and also remarked how he felt it would be quicker than the Elise overall in the a straight line.

Then he showed me what it was like on corners, and it was great, like a little go kart, zero body roll and fantastic agility, easy to provoke into a slide if so desired too.

In short, a lot of hot hatches may be faster in a straight line, but the Elise is definitely a lot more fun to drive. Actually, out of all the hot hatches I've driven, I'd say the Clio was as close in character to such a car as any, although obviously still completely different.

I love cars like the Elise and VX220, and that should go some way to explain why I dont like cars like the Focus ST / Astra VXR / Meg 225 / Leon CR, because they are all heavy, lard arsed cars. If I didnt need *any* practicality then i would have got an Elise or VX but as I do need to use my car for work, thats why I got the 182 to have at least some of the fun of cars like that without needing to go a zillion mph to have fun unlike the lard arses. However, if its just a toy, I say go for it. I dont know why people would choose any hot hatch over an Elise if its just a weekend toy.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I love Elise's - I'm a member of Lotus-on-Track so get to play with them on track every now and then.

A properly sorted decent spec one that's well driven gives me a very hard time.

Then you get some, like this one, that you can just reel in ;)

Performance wise, it's very close - you've got to remember that flinging a FWD hatch about is far easier for your average Joe than trying to accurately balance and place a mid-engined flyweight.

VaVa
My friend has an Elise 160S (later MVA model with 150bhp). Very quick, but not really geared for flying at high speeds in straightline. Should have monstered my 172 on a dual carriageway but it didn't.

Round bends - forget it. Can't even get near him. Corners flatter, harder and faster than my 172 ever could.

Fantastic cars to drive but basic, uncomfortable, noisy and totally impractical. I'd love on as a second car.

Turbos.
It wouldn't be an easy decision but as an entry level car i would take the VX220.

Either way, if you can afford it, something you have to before you grow up!

my vx is up for sale !!!! y reg 16k on the clock £8800 was cat c write off but no suspension damage or damage to any of the alu tub
the%20vx.jpg

pics of the damage
crash%20pic%20small.jpg

cliobuyer said:
Er, if you're selling Mike surely you've had it like a month max?!
it was an impulse buy lol i was going to save for one but i didnt now i dont have enough spare cash to save for a new house sooo the car needs to go :dapprove:

if i had saved up it would be fine but i just rushed into it :eek: its costing me almost £550 a month to run loan, insurance, tax, servicing, tyres, then the fuel and we were getting on just fine with one car so its going to go :(

got 2 people coming to look at it already one tonight and one on saturday i only put it up yesterday

You're all forgetting about the ultimate play cars: Caterhams and Westfields!!! I've never driven one but from what I've heard once you have there's no turning back!!

Lotus Exige, Fiat X1/9
chiefsilverback said:
You're all forgetting about the ultimate play cars: Caterhams and Westfields!!! I've never driven one but from what I've heard once you have there's no turning back!!

S1 EXIGE:)

172, Tiguan
chiefsilverback said:

Ah but the problem there is you have NO creature comforts! And the hoods are a joke even compared to the Elise. You have to be very hardcore to use one of them all year round!

Don't worry about the K Series, go and buy an Elise. :D

don't
I'm currently looking into getting an Elise 111s, a bit quicker than the standard s1

moving from a 306 gti6, still unsure though as the 306 is a great car

seloc is a good elise forum, quite busy and plenty of info on there

as for the K series, it seems they are prone to headgasket failure, but at £500 to fix, it's not a major problem is it, could be worse anyway

I'm looking to maybe get one to own for 10-12 months as a great fun car before i sell up to get a house

i used to have a 182 and now own an S1 111s, nothing compares to the feedback and reward you get from giving the elise a damn good thrashing on some bendy roads - simply awesome, 8 months into ownership and it still gives me a buzz when i get in!

I say do it while you're young, save the hatchbacks for when you have kids!

good work fella - take it easy, as it's been said these cars are pretty unforigiving when you get it wrong.

get yourself on a driver training day www.carlimits.co.uk to learn the limits - i did and it's given my so much more appreciation for the car and what it can do

duce - i plan on getting a bit of training in a few months..

then a stage 2 engine package for more brutality.

Pikey Truck
MarkCup said:
I love Elise's - I'm a member of Lotus-on-Track so get to play with them on track every now and then.

A properly sorted decent spec one that's well driven gives me a very hard time.

Then you get some, like this one, that you can just reel in ;)

Performance wise, it's very close - you've got to remember that flinging a FWD hatch about is far easier for your average Joe than trying to accurately balance and place a mid-engined flyweight.

Sweet vid mate!

Nissan 350Z
Guy said:
S1's look sh*te

s2's look awesome

s2 with the toyota 190 is the only one worth having.

Agreed. I've driven a Celica with the 190 engine. It sounds better than any 4-pot i've ever heard, period. Much better than the CTR and much better than the Clio (which sounded like a hoover afterwards). It sounded like a mini F1 car when on cam. Also in a 1200 kg Celica it gave it 182 rivalling performance, in a 750 kg Elise, god knows how good that would sound, and how fast it would be! :D