ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172cup steering heavy at low revs

Clio 172 cup
Hi guys,

I have read a few bits about similar problems so sorry if it's been said before!

The steering is ok when driving around normally, no noises or heaviness. But when you slow right down to turn around or parking the steering goes really heavy, if you Rev the engine it frees off. However it's now starting making a 'squealing' noise ( like a possible belt slipping?)

Anyone had any experience of this problem? Possible faults/solutions would be helpful!
I'm fairly clued up when it comes to doing jobs myself so happy to give it a go if there is anything I can do/try!

Clio 172 cup
Would the power steering pump make the squealing noise as well? Or could it make the belts slip?
Can you bleed the system to get rid of air locks?

Check for leaks from pipes and pump

Check the PS sensor by the alternator when pulling on full lock that it doesn't leak

Check the tank filter condition (it pulls out)

Check the fluid level

Replace the belt

Clio 172 cup
Check for leaks from pipes and pump

Check the PS sensor by the alternator when pulling on full lock that it doesn't leak

Check the tank filter condition (it pulls out)

Check the fluid level

Replace the belt

Cheers bud, that gives me plenty to have a look at!

Missed the replies. Did you sort the issue @Stueylouey21

Hi mate, not really had a chance to have a look yet! I don't use the car very often now as I have a work van so the cup gets left on the drive :( I will have a look myself this week and if I get no where pop it into a garage to get it looked at! Will let you know what I find out

Gus

ClioSport Moderator
  182Turbo,DCi90
Cheers bud, that gives me plenty to have a look at!

Hi mate, not really had a chance to have a look yet! I don't use the car very often now as I have a work van so the cup gets left on the drive 😧 I will have a look myself this week and if I get no where pop it into a garage to get it looked at! Will let you know what I find out
Hiya mate,
Any updates on this. Got this same issue myself.

Clio 172 cup
Def not tyre pressures.. But I'll be honest my car really doesn't get used much atall these days. Having said that MOT time is coming up very soon so I need to give the car a once over so may have some more info soon!