ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

172FF mpg

Been doing some searching within this forum and it seems the average for a 172/182 is 33mpg. however on dual carriage way/motorway driving people seem to be managing to hit the high 30's early 40's...why isn't mine hitting them sort of figures?? Sticking at 70 over the weekend, was driving for about 3 hours on the motorway and the highest I could record was 33.4mpg. windows were shut, no a/c on the mpg just wouldn't keep going higher.
could this be a sign thats its time to renew the oil, oil filter, air filter etc or is there another solution??

yesterday before i set off for a 75 min journey to work. pressures are 33 front and 30 rear (exalto's on the front, conti's on the rear). still yesterday the best i got was 33mpg.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
When was it last serviced, air filter & oil change could be a good start.

I use to see 40+mpg easily from that. Bristol to the NEC, 2 up, sat at 80mph and returned 41mpg.

Use to run 35psi front and 32psi rears though.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
When was it last serviced, air filter & oil change could be a good start.

I use to see 40+mpg easily from that. Bristol to the NEC, 2 up, sat at 80mph and returned 41mpg.

Use to run 35psi front and 32psi rears though.

My dad used to ge tinto the 40's he regularly used to get 45 etc, now he only gets low 30's.

I had an average of 35 from mine once, that was motorway driving. I couldn't believe it.

VaVa
Silly question but did you reset the computer before you started? The mpg is an average, not instantaneous.

If I reset mine and sit at 70 on a motorway I could clock up well over 40mpg....

What fuel are you using? Mine averages between 33 and 36 mpg. Reset every full up which is a full tank. Run from London > Bristol I got 44mpg sat at 70ish.

If you sat at a constant 80 its just starting to come on cam as you are coming up to 4k revs so its going to start drinking fuel quicker. Slow down abit and it will go up.

RS mk2 172
I got around 35 about the town and roughly 42 on a run when the car was new but noticed it getting steadily worse and then it failed the emissions test on its MOT last week. It turned out to be the upstream Lambda sensor that was shot (£59 inc vat from GSF) and it seems to be vastly improved economy wise now. Get your local garage to do an emissions check it shouldnt be expensive.

mk3 golf gti
my journey from my house to my work and then to my missus' work we get about 24-28mpg! it is only an 8 mile round trip tho, all stop start. think it is service time tho!!

some good pointers there. i'll see about getting an emissions check soon as.
im currently using tesco 99 stuff.
and yes I did reset the trip computer and came up with that figure twice.
i'll also sort out a oil change and filter change. not due a service for another 7k or so however as its not very expensive i'll get it done myself beforehand.

thanks for all the replies