ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 as second car (winter, dog, everything!)

I'm looking for a car to be 'spare' to my M car, this will be a winter car for me and sometimes need to take the dog out.

I've always had a soft spot for the 182's, and was thinking it might be a good car to pick. Set of winter boots should see me through winter, then I can look at a few track days in summer. Should be big enough to fit my (large) dog when I need to. A bit of poke for the right moment and parts seem to be mega cheap. They are fairly modern, so will warm up quick enough etc. (could you get heated seats in them?)

Looking at the bottom end of the market (~£1500), condition isn't high priority, just want it to run when I need it! Cambelt being done is a must, what else should I keep an eye out for? I'm happy to tinker.

Listerine & Poledo
Just get one with belts that are done, and you'll be fine.

Don't get a lowered one, not if you're looking to carry things.

There wasn't an option for heated seats, but the climate control (non-cup cars) will do you fine.

Listerine & Poledo
yes, there's essentially 1 big difference in the world of 182.
Cloth seats and a dashboard made of old Milk Tray trays
or
1/2 leather and legitimate dashboard materials.

As a daily, 1/2 leather is your way. Also, you get cruise control.

Listerine & Poledo
TBH, I dont actually know. mine I offloaded at 112k and at that point finding 3rd gear was part arm-work and part divine intervention.

But I'd say to buyon condition rather than mileage. You can find dogs with 30k on them, or minters with interplanetary mileage

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
As above, buy one based on condition and recent money spent. Mileage is largely irrelevant.

RenaultSport clio 18
I used to fit 2 adult boxers (the dogs!) in mine, but with the rear seats down. Took seconds to put back so was never an issue and kept the seats themselves in better condition.

Paul.M

ClioSport Club Member
As above I wouldn't be worried about milage if the car has proof of being looked after, just check for the belts being done at somewhere reputable as the timing can make or break how the car feels to drive.
Mine is on 110k now and is still one of the most reliable cars I have owned, also after 100k the prices seems to fall off a cliff for some reason which is good for buyers such as yourself.
Stay away from the cup models and they have enough mod cons to keep you happy and are quite comfortable on longer drives.

The members on here are well spread out so I'm sure someone would be willing to have a look at one with you if you decide to go ahead.

2004 Clio 182
I wouldn't exclude a 172 from your search - the difference is minimal in my opinion.
I've currently got a 172 cup and have owned 3 clios, a full fat would be your best option. Buying on condition is a good shout - mine's on 136k but engine and underneath is great. I've got ropey bodywork but do you need more for a track car?

172 Cup
Good plan. I bought my 172 Cup as a second car in June, always fancied one too. Cracking little cars and offer great value.

Don't rule out getting one that's due the belts. Just make sure you alter the price to account for it. That way you are in control and can make sure it's done properly. That's how I bought my Cup and we did the same with my brother's R26.

The random number generator has gone nuts, £450 for a years insurance on a 182. Same as my ///M!

Figured it'd be like £200 max.