ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 coolant temperature sensor = rubbish

This has been done before of course, but this time the sensor problem caused me to actually break down, with black soot pouring out the exhaust :mad: :mad:

Why the f**k - if they know of the problem - do they not fix it at a production level, rather than waiting til a customer breaks down in a cloud of black smoke on a roundabout, stranded with the hazards on, and the engine refusing to start because its been flooded with 20 litres of fuel tnaks to a f**king mickey mouse temp sensor :mad: :mad: :mad:

VaVa

News to me too. I think its a CS thing. Two people have had it and its suddenly epidemic.

Hope its gets sorted Roy.

Full Fat 182

Im not sure if this is the same thing that i had but i have had the temp sensor replaced.

what was happening with my 182 was the guage was dropping under hard booting and i found out (luckily) that it was pissing out water (i was in france at the time).

The car didnt conk out but i stopped and did the check and found the low water and filled her up every hour.

Chris

is this the same?

Fiesta ST

My Temp gauage is up and down like a whores knickers. gonna have to get it booked in soon then before i get the smoke thing and a broken cat.

Well its booked in for wednesday, but - and quell surprise - the dealer hasnt heard of the problem before, so god knows how long Ill be without the car before they get it fixed :(

I had this happen too, so took it to the dealers and went out for a test drive with the mechanic - it broke down on Weybridge high street and wouldnt start again - stank of fuel as you rightly say fuel pump keeps going despite being unable to start the engine.

They replaced the ECU and ive not (touch wood) had a problem since, apart from the engine clunking of course ;-)

He means flooding the cat with unburnt fuel mate, going by the black sooty dribbly *SH1T* glugging out my tail pipes, Id say the cat wouldnt have liked it much! :eek:

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

yes i have had this back in november last year!!!!

then began my hell.........

after numerous sdensors replaced due to a dicky temp guage i had the whole wiring loom replaced and connected better as there were toomany vibrations causing the fault... i kid you not....

it was great fun... then picked the car up after the wiring loom had been fitted and surprise surprise the 182 broke down ten minutes later.... this was after renault had it for almost two weeks

this was the last time it has been in for warranty work - the fifth in total for the same reaccuring fault...

but now it is solved...

i feel for you matey

Oh FFS LOL :eek: :D

Forgive me if Ive missed it mate, but what exactly was it that solved the prolem? So far weve got a sensor, an ECU and a freakin wiring loom :D

Im not massively worried, but they are giving me a "little clio" to drive around in :confused: I spose at least my Cup will feel like an f1 car when I finally get back behind the wheel :D

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

the first problem i had (just like yours with black smoke but i had total loss of power.. car didnt die on me either) they changed the temp sensor...

then the temp sensor went to zero about a month later and thaught it was running cold so reved higher stationary.... oxygen sensor fixed that

then temp sensor just went mad up down up down all the time... went in several times and renault could not find it faulting.. in the end i had to go out with the mechanic to show him the fault.....

then it continued and they had it for almost two weeks until they phoned renault sport in france (allegedly) who said they knew of the fault i had and said to change the wiring loom....this was after i had got a little bit stroppy with renault UK and my dealer...

hope that helps!

BMW 120i Sport

Yep, as EvilJohn said its happened to me. Quite frightening to have the whole car die at 60 mph.

Booked it into Renault the next day in the morning, got it back early afternoon washed and hoovered out. Nice!

They replaced the sensor and also had to clean all the plugs n stuff.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

plus before the wiring loom they re-did the earthing connections which worked for about two days until the temp sensor completely failed....

Its just as well that Im falling in love with this car.

Every day it never fails to raise a smile, or impress me in a new way. I love my 182Cup, sh*t seats and all, and Im willing to accept things like this, if it means owning what must surely be the best hot hatch ever created?

Discalimer: Williams threads should be opened separately ;)

Hmm something tells me this runs deeper than a sensor. Perhaps it is the ECU? if it was a sensor, why would it always get a strop on as soon as 5,000rpm is reached?

It will often flutter a bit at any revs, but a good leathering into the 5k+ zone sees the needle dipping to silly figures...Ive been driving like Miss Daisy since Saturday, in a car that just dares you to mash the loud pedal....FFS

:(

~SIGH~

The joy of owning a Renault has started then? Theyve had the car two days and have no idea whats wrong with it. I can already see this turning into a farce :confused:

That sucks mate, i swear they keep your car in the garage over the weekend on purpose, to deprive you of your pride and joy

the mechanic that fixed mine told me it is interference that causes the temp gauge to go up down intermittently and also cause the engine to play up. Its the computer (ECU) going a bit funny.............

there were no tech notes for them to look up on unfortunately. if yours symptoms were stalled and then failed to start until about 20 mins later with a bad smell of fuel (fuel pump still going) they were the same as mine which an ECU change fixed...

GOOD LUCK

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

Quote: Originally posted by Roy Munson on 14 April 2005

~SIGH~

The joy of owning a Renault has started then? Theyve had the car two days and have no idea whats wrong with it. I can already see this turning into a farce :confused:
know the feeling mate, they had mine for 3 days and found they couldnt fix the prob and it had 120 miles extra on it, wasnt same prob as yours but the dealers get on my tits

Hi Roy

This happened to me 4 times and they replaced the coolant sensor 2 times within about 3 weeks!!!

Sorted now though and has been running well for 4 months now

Cheers

Graham T.

Ben182

ClioSport Club Member
  X3

happened to mine too.

dealer had it 3 days (after it had broken down about 4 times - black smoke, lack of power then stalling and not restarting for about 15 mins). They changed the coolant temperature sensor and (touch wood) its been fine since then!

Whats annoying me is that the dealer hasnt called me once. Today is the 3rd day and Ive called them 3 times already. When I call them all I get is a brush off. If they havent called me by lunchtime today with some kind of way forward, Im going to pick the car up and get it booked into a dealer who gives a f**k. No way is some f**ker taking my car home for the weekend.

Im digusted at the level of disinterest frankly.

Ive just had my first bitter taste of owning a Renault and Im not impressed :mad:watch this space, Ill be kicking off later today if they cant give me some answers.

Cool. Got the car back and its all fixed (for now)

God DAMN those 1.4 Clios are slow! Me Cup feels like an F1 car now :p