ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 ex-Courtesy Car - would you buy it?

Golf R
I stumbled across a thread where someone was saying that their local dealer had a 182 which was used as a courtesy car but now i can't find it - does anyone else remember it?

Would you buy an ex courtesy car (if the price is right)? If i can't manage to do a deal on the Trophy i am looking tomorrow I might consider taking a look at it instead - it's a 55 plate with 8000 miles and both Cup Packs - what's anyone reckon?

I wouldn't touch it tbh as it would of been ragged to fcuk. Lets face it if u had one as a courtesy car i'm sure you would rag it too.

BMW M3
I would rather have a 182 demonstrator then a 182 courtesy car !!!

I'm struggling to imagin why they would have one anyway and not just a 1.2/1.4 etc...

Imagin a recenlty passed 17 year old bringing in his 1.2 for a service and recieving a 182 for the day..... I would certainly make the most of it, so wouldnt touch it IMO.

The Jinx
Hammered is good. Means you get a quick one that will die after you've sold it. I've bought ex-demo cars before and they're fine as long as you have a good check of them befirehand and get any outstanding issues/work dealt with.

Ignore the usual "ex-demo cars are bad" gaylords.

Lionel Richie
as long asthewheels aren't all smashed up, then it'll be fine

i'd try and blag them into changing the clutch though

172 Cup
Justin182 said:
I would rather have a 182 demonstrator then a 182 courtesy car !!!

I'm struggling to imagin why they would have one anyway and not just a 1.2/1.4 etc...

Imagin a recenlty passed 17 year old bringing in his 1.2 for a service and recieving a 182 for the day..... I would certainly make the most of it, so wouldnt touch it IMO.

lol! i would be getting mine serviced every week!

if I have a coutesy car, wheel spinning is a must, hand brake turns normally happen, revving the car to redline is quite common. Would you still buy one lol

BMW M3
As i say... wouldnt mind a demo.

But courtesy car...no chance.

Driving up curbs
Flying upto the limiter when cold
Having loads of kids in the car fiddling/ spilling coke. etc..
All types of people have driven it ( unexperienced young people to grannies )

Lol Just my view

Oh... and the fastest cars on the roads are courtesy cars

The Jinx
If the condition is good then buy it. Simple as. A car that has been ragged from the off is likely to be quicker, even if it lives a shorter life. That's no bad thing.

Munday

ClioSport Club Member
  RB 182, 1275GT, C220
I wouldnt buy it, I know for a fact that every courtesy car I have had has been ragged. I had a Modus last time and the gearbox was fucked on that and it only had about 3k miles on the clock!

RB 200 Cup!
NOOOOOOOOO! dont go near it - everyone knows courtesy cars get ragged the nuts off - i know i did when a got a daewoo matiz - f**king matchbox car it was

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d
Wouldn't touch that with a barge pole...

My mate's Dad owns our local Renault dealer, you cannot believe the abuse these cars get, I'd never own one!

Snotter's
i certainly wouldnt,my m8 and my dad both work at renault and they are always telling me how the majority of cars get treated.I dont even like leaving my car at a garage anymore.I wouldnt pay more than £10k for it

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
For godness sake, all sports editions are going to have been given a hard time. It comes with the territory!

I saw an advert once on an Scooby, one careful owner, never ragged, yeah - like f**k mate. You bought it because it looked nice....

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
Does anyone else find it odd that its a 182 Courtesy Cars? I've always got shitty basic clio's!

The Jinx
It's a new car. It's still under warranty. It will be quicker than one treated like a 1.2. As long as there's nothing mechanically obviously wrong and it drives ok, it will be a perfectly fine purchase.

I bought a 10month old dci 80 with 18k on the clock and it was fine. Still is fine 2yrs after I sold it to my mum. It needed a new boot lock under warranty.

According to all you lot it would have been a shed on the brink of falling apart.

R35 GTR
Buy it if the price is right, who cares if its been thrashed from cold, its a car, enjoy it!

If you like it, buy it. Then thrash it from cold, destroy the engine and get a new one under warranty. Try and get a good price too.

Get new engine, and thrash hell out of that too.lol.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
it wouldn't bother me in the slightest.

So long as the price was right, i don't think it makes any difference...

BMW M3
Ok... fair enough that alot of 172/182's do get driven hard. But also the owners of these cars (like us) look after them by waiting till they are up to operating tempreture before hand, putting top quality oil in etc... I also avoid pot holes and never go anywhere near curbs. Ive had a few courtesy cars myself and know that this care is not enforced with them. I had one with 1000 miles on the clock and there were more dents then i could count.

Also, i am regually seeing middle aged women drive 182's and very slowly.

All am am trying to say is i am sure there are other 182s at a good price but with only one owner that looked after it, and not every man and his dog that couldn't care less.

Clio 182 Black gold
That was me that posted that in the other thread where the guy was asking if it was a good price for a 182. It had 3000 on the clock and they wanted 12495 for it. Was tempted but it sounded rough even when he started it up !

Renaultsport Clio 182
Would give it a miss myself. Whatever anyone says, courtesy cars are ragged (ok maybe not by all the drivers, but most)...and probably not looked after in general eg. doors banged into things etc.
Look elsewhere I say.

Surely it will not be a courtesy car. No way a dealer will give the most expensive in any range. Do you not mean a demonstrator?

Golf R
blaze said:
Surely it will not be a courtesy car. No way a dealer will give the most expensive in any range. Do you not mean a demonstrator?

no definitely a courtesy car - i find it strange too that they would use such a decent car as a courtesy car and i queried it too

Golf R
thanks for all the replies guys - i'm definitely going to pursue option 1 of the Trophy tomorrow and see what happens there.

as for the other one i have been offered i might try and find something with less miles - i see that Masters of Beckenham have a new 06 06 182 with both Cup packs - might try striking a deal on that if i have no joy with the Trophy...... decisions decisions!! :S

Nissan 350Z
Its not so much the fact its been ragged senseless thats the problem - its more the fact it'll have been ragged FROM COLD. That causes so much wear, and will probably result in a car that uses lots of oil and will have a shorter lifespan.

In other words, I might if the price was right, but the price would have to be VERY good.