ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

182 parcel shelf speakers..

Silver 182
Ages ago when I had old 1.4 '96 i used to get carried away with subs speakers and stuff. Basically was thinking of fitting light 6x9s in the parcel shelf? Is it worth it? Would 6 speakers sound decent all around? Or is it worth simply installing high quality 10-13speakers like bose or harman/kardon (sorry i just love the crystal quality they produce.. and the more upmarket feel they have) and maybe power them with a small amp which can be hidden somewhere in the boot at the side?

I wont see my baby for another 3 days until i come back from uni so i thought i gather some ideas from you guys before i get crazy about it.

Also before i start taking things apart and looking for wires.. i assume 182s speaker wiring ends with rear "door" ? So wiring would be better off going from the head unit or an amp rather than trying to cut into speaker wire from the rear speakers?

P.S has anyone tried those new "skinny" subs? Was thinking of getting one and fixing it to the back seat... so that still leaves room in the boot and the bass is not over the top school boy like cos surely having such tight enclosure its not gonna beat like mtx

edit: now i am thinking.. cutting into rear wires would cause too much overheat right? so i would have to amp 6x9s anyway?

So now question is.. is worth the hassle with 6x9s? or just buy some decent speaker replacements and amp a skinny sub?

Last edited:
  MK2 Clio
6x9 will give you more bass, but they are quite unpopular be a few people on here, you can splice the cables from a standard headunit - not that much power, but they are a much cheaper method of getting extra bass then component speakers :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
6x9's are s**t. They drag your soundstage right to the back of the car.
Spend your money on components. Will be 100 x better.

Last edited:
  Stripped yozza'd cup
The skinny subs are ok(ish) but you'd do better to get a decent 10'' sub, like jl audio, and build it into the side of the boot.

S4, Tamora, Conti GT
If you want decent sound quality don't buy 6x9's they produce noise not music. (I'm saying this even though a have a £170 set of JL C2 in the shelf). Pretty sure you can't get Bose unless its already supplied with the car, get a high quality set of front components (JL Audio C5's sound awesome) and a good amplifier.

Black Sheep
As stated above 6x9 s are not what you want do not produce any bass anyway just noise pure tak. exscuse my french:eek: If you want boot space invest in an under seat subwoofer bit pricey for a decent one like a pioneer £200 for mine one. you can install it so it is not visible from pikeys and other low life like your 6x9s. Installation takes a bit of time to do right so no cables are visible going under the carpet from the centre console, ther is actually a very convienient hole so no cutting is required. Get some good components in the holes and all is good once you set up the sub gain frequency ect. i was surprised with the quality being used to boxes in the boot which you can also run of any decent headunit as i do which you can remove for boot space. oh yeah just remember to remove the fuse at the battery:D

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
6x9's are sooo 2001 haha... you wouldn't put your hifi on in the front room, then sit facing the back of the room, would you ?

I have a fairly expensive (at the time) head unit .. best thing it does is frequency cut to the speakers, meaning the sub can do all the low frequency stuff, and the crappy speakers in the Clio could breathe a bit easier and do a better job with the high freq stuff.

With a £100 sub (Fli Active 12") plonked in the boot of my Clio, the difference was amazing ! [Infact, the sub is redundant in the spare room at the moment .. you're not far from me in Saarfend. PM me if you're interested!]

If you've got more money to burn, some decent components, amped, will give a much better sound stage, coupled with a sub of your choice in the boot.

Silver 182
As stated above 6x9 s are not what you want do not produce any bass anyway just noise pure tak. exscuse my french:eek: If you want boot space invest in an under seat subwoofer bit pricey for a decent one like a pioneer £200 for mine one. you can install it so it is not visible from pikeys and other low life like your 6x9s. Installation takes a bit of time to do right so no cables are visible going under the carpet from the centre console, ther is actually a very convienient hole so no cutting is required. Get some good components in the holes and all is good once you set up the sub gain frequency ect. i was surprised with the quality being used to boxes in the boot which you can also run of any decent headunit as i do which you can remove for boot space. oh yeah just remember to remove the fuse at the battery:D

Hoa didnt think of the under seat sub... so you got just one 200quid pioneer? You managed to install it right in the middle or its actually to the side? Does it vibrate the seats badly?

Thanks for the info

Black Sheep
Yeah 200 prob cheaper on ebay you only need one under the driver seat. The one i hav got sits slightly upwards with the flat end resting against the ridge at the back of the seat. It is just slightly visible (if you know wher it is) and i sit really far back so with the seat forward it will be hidden. The bass is very crisp and tight when you get the set up right as apposed to the droney bass you sometimes get with a ported box in the boot. I will find out the model number tomorrow of the one i have as i know it fits obviously. There is mounting brackets but i did not want to go drilling into the floor so i tried it with no mounts and had no problems at all, as it sitts snugly and it has a good bit of weight to it. I then replaced the components with alpine 13cm cheapos from halfords 70 for the set or something. These speakers have no bass delivery whats so ever but this not needed cause of the sub, cause with bass turned down at the speakers they are very clear and crisp with decent treble as when i first heard them with bass i thought WTF are these. You just have to turn up the gain with the hand held remote provided that can also alter frequency.

6x9's are s**t. They drag your soundstage right to the back of the car.
Spend your money on components. Will be 100 x better.

IMO they make a 182 look s**t aswell. there is some pioneers door speakers straight swap for the existing ones, forget them name of them about £70.

Black Sheep
The circular one not the rectangle one. The seats dont vibrate school boy style it is more acoustic and punchy you feel it a bit if it is turned right up but you are not being bounced up and down lol.

PH1 iceburg
I have always prefered the sound of components up front and sub in the boot in a clio. Gives a real nice sound IMO.

Silver 182
Yeah 200 prob cheaper on ebay you only need one under the driver seat. The one i hav got sits slightly upwards with the flat end resting against the ridge at the back of the seat. It is just slightly visible (if you know wher it is) and i sit really far back so with the seat forward it will be hidden. The bass is very crisp and tight when you get the set up right as apposed to the droney bass you sometimes get with a ported box in the boot. I will find out the model number tomorrow of the one i have as i know it fits obviously. There is mounting brackets but i did not want to go drilling into the floor so i tried it with no mounts and had no problems at all, as it sitts snugly and it has a good bit of weight to it. I then replaced the components with alpine 13cm cheapos from halfords 70 for the set or something. These speakers have no bass delivery whats so ever but this not needed cause of the sub, cause with bass turned down at the speakers they are very clear and crisp with decent treble as when i first heard them with bass i thought WTF are these. You just have to turn up the gain with the hand held remote provided that can also alter frequency.

Great info Slob thanks a lot! Although i would wanna go bit further with this and if i find the budget apart from all other expenses i got planned for the car id rather stick 2 under the back seats, although it depends how much a decent set of componets gonna cost me.

I really dont wanna stick the sub in the boot.. 1) i wanna keep the space, be more mmm 'civilised' haha, 2) love the idea of people wondering where the f**k does that bass come from :) imo!

But i am not touching the parcel shelf now! Door speaker it is! Thanks

Is 13cm the biggest you can fit into the doors? Is it really hard to cut the hole bigger? Or even cut extra holes for other speakers?

And do i have to change the tweeters? I assume the dash would have to come off for that?

Further: http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/8724.html

How do the midbass speakers sound? Just bass like a mini sub or they produce good quality sound too?

Last edited:
  Stripped yozza'd cup
Jl audio make an 8'' sub.... You could build a tiny enclosure and hide it away in the boot, under a seat etc etc. Will give you nice punchy bass / mid bass without the door rattling Chav stuff. This would be my approach anyway. And as you said, decent amped components up front.

You can fit any components just using a spacer (like a wheel spacer) as the only problem is depth clearance.

Edit: you could also fit some 8'' subs in the rear speaker mounts without too much trouble I would imagine. (I haven't actually looked at mine though)

Listerine & Poledo
Edit: you could also fit some 8'' subs in the rear speaker mounts without too much trouble I would imagine. (I haven't actually looked at mine though)

ooo, now that would be interesting.

a pair of 8's would be fairly punchy. Could still use the shelf mounts for some mid-highs in the back... if that matters

Silver 182
ooo, now that would be interesting.

a pair of 8's would be fairly punchy. Could still use the shelf mounts for some mid-highs in the back... if that matters

Would those be sufficient to provide the surround sound? So we talking decent fronts like Focals for about 200 quid, could try and fit jbls does sound very interesting... And the 10cm would they provide enough sound? cos at the moment i got this picture in mind of main sound coming from the front speakers. bass at the back which is fine.. but surely sound at the back would be less?

Unless i fit more expensive and more powerful 10cm's than 13cm's at the front? :approve: Or the difference between 13 and 10s is not that big?

All that is assumption that 8inch jbls would be playing purely bass... not bridged to play the songs ?

Listerine & Poledo
you wont need any bass out of the rear mounts, that's what a pair of 8's in the 1/2 panel are there for, so it's just for the highs.

a pair of decent 10cm's will generate decent enough upper-end.

consider it similar to a more elaborate set of components

as for "surround sound", are you loading up a dolby head-unit?

Silver 182
Thats what i wrote down in the plan kinda :

The Subs:

As slob suggested http://www.pioneer.eu/uk/products/25/131/201/TS-WX210A/index.html .. 150w either to go under back seats or under front seats. I am thinking of getting 2 of those

OR

As jack suggested 8inch subs instead of rear speakers. http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/4688.html. 200w Focals

FRONT COMPONENTS:

I assume that its wise to change the standard tweeters too? so thinking of these? http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/10403.html

Now as Goodj suggested 10cms to go in to the brackets at the back next to shelf. Just seen the space.. its actually just seating there waiting for me to actually install something in there :D

http://caraudiosecurity.com/shop/product/products_id/10408.html

I just got few questions which i think i mention in previous post

1) Would such system create sufficient surround sound and hence giving impression of a good quality or would the fronts be too loud? So might have to play around with the unit to adjust for more surround?

2)Subs to play purely bass or since they are small they might be good enough to be bridged to play the songs? From my past experience it sounded like complete shite on the big sony xplode.. but hey that was 6 years ago.

3)What sound do mid-bass produce? More like mini subs or more like speakers on bass steroids from a hi-fi?

Silver 182
you wont need any bass out of the rear mounts, that's what a pair of 8's in the 1/2 panel are there for, so it's just for the highs.

a pair of decent 10cm's will generate decent enough upper-end.

consider it similar to a more elaborate set of components

as for "surround sound", are you loading up a dolby head-unit?

Dude i havent done something this major with a sound since college. Always been about people shaking outside from bass rather than simple sophisticated ride enjoying the music with a different girl every week. :)

In other words.. i am still learning

I am pretty sure dolby-surround head units are not that common or that well made right now? Just after a sound being equal in the car.. rather than seating there and thinking that sound only comes from the back or from the front.

At the moment i just got a kenwood headunit that lights up like flipping christmas tree.. but if i invest in install i would probably swap it for a higher quality Alpine, although if it does the job than fine

Also i figured i would need a decent amp? How many channels we talking? 8? to power the subs and the rear speakers? or since rear speakers are small.. wire them to the headunit and run the fronts from the amp?

Further edit... thinking of hiding the amp under the rear seats.
But is this risky of it getting too hot?? Hence better leaving it in the boot?

Last edited:
  Listerine & Poledo
run the rear 10cm's from your head unit, may as well.

a 2-channel for the subs, another for the front comps.

dont worry about balancing the sound front-back, you only need it in front of you.

the rear-fillers will only be there for the benefit of passengers.

dont put amps under the bench, that'll be a fire in the waiting

Silver 182
run the rear 10cm's from your head unit, may as well.

a 2-channel for the subs, another for the front comps.

dont worry about balancing the sound front-back, you only need it in front of you.

the rear-fillers will only be there for the benefit of passengers.

dont put amps under the bench, that'll be a fire in the waiting

Yeah thats what i though about fire when i wrote that crap :S sorry :)

The other thing is i just though when i looked.. althought thats another 100quid to go.. if were to use underseat subs than i could potentially have 6 speaker set? fronts, rear and next to shelf?

Overkill for a small clio right?

Oh and why 2channels amps rather than one large amp to run the whole show?

Listerine & Poledo
you wouldn't use the underseat amps and the door card rears.

so, headunit powered rear-fillers.
amped up front comps
amped up rear subs
stick the amps under the seats, done.

technically you'll have 8 speakers, but hey ho...

actually, 10, if you count the rear filler co-ax'es as 2-way

Stripped yozza'd cup
Goodj has got it about right. That would be how I'd go about it anyway.
Definitely wouldn't go for the underseat sub.... Underpowered and overpriced. Theyre only really necessary if you're very limited for space.